User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2013, 07:30 PM   #1
Bazgab OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Stadler Voyager Jacket and Cargo Pants

There are not many reviews of Stadler products as a whole out there so I figured I would submit my review of a new Stadler suit that I have been wearing since May of this year. I am also probably one of the first people to receive one of these suits in the US so I am not sure if there is anyone else on this site that actually has these garments.

The Jacket is called the Voyager and can be found here: http://www.stadler-bekleidung.de/ind...-en.html?id=74.
The 2 standard color schemes are Black/Grey and Black/Hi-viz Yellow, of which I ordered the hi-viz version. This jacket can be ordered in custom colors if you choose to do so, but I am unsure of what this would cost. Their gear tends to run somewhat tall I would say as I am 5'9-5'10" and I was told to go with a size 27 on both the jacket and pants. The jacket turned out to be almost the perfect fit for me, as the jacket is snug across the chest but has plenty of room in the waist for adjustment in or out.

The jacket is made of several different materials, namely Cordura 500D, Cordura 2000D in the main impact areas, and Cordura Air. The Cordura Air component is what really drew me to this jacket. Most of the chest area, down the sides of the torso, portions of the back and on the inside of the arms are all made of the Cordura Air material. It flows air like mesh but looks like normal Cordura 500D from a distance, though up close you can see the more mesh like structure. Living in a hot, humid climate this material makes it so much more comfortable to ride in full gear. The air up the inside of my arms is definitely the most welcome addition, and seems to keep me cool the best. Here is a shot I tried to get of the Cordura Air, it didn't really turn out though.

The jacket has 5 pockets, 2 exterior waterproof, 2 exterior non-waterproof, and 1 inside the jacket. I opted for an optional Gore-Tex storm collar that buttons to the standard collar to provide additional protection from the weather (not shown). The Hi-viz yellow and reflective sections help keep me more visible, it might be in my head but I thought I could notice a difference between before and after getting the suit.

The jacket uses a liner system, including both a waterproof Gore-Tex liner and a thermal liner. I decided to go with a liner-based suit as I didn't want a Gore-Tex pro shell type suit in this humid of a climate. The liners are top notch with a really slick connection system. If you have all the liners in, the thermal liners cuffs zip into the waterproof liner and then it attaches at the bottom with buttons. The waterproof liner zips into the main jacket at the bottom and up both sides of the chest, along with zipping into both cuffs. For those who don't like getting the jacket shell soaking wet, the waterproof liner can be worn over top of the jacket, as wells as a standalone rain jacket as it is nicely finished.

The waterproof liner when it is fully integrated with the outer shell:

The Cargo pants are the matching pants for the Voyager jacket. They are made of all the same materials, with many sections made of the Cordura Air. I really like the addition of the braces/suspenders, as it really helps keep the pants up where they need to be. There is a lot of adjustment in the waist via a belt and there are several snap adjusters to fine tune the leg fitment. The lower leg zippers come up far enough and wide enough to fit my Sidi Adventure Gore-Tex boots under the pant leg, I am positive a full offroad boot would fit. My biggest problem with fit is that even with a short size the knee pads hang a little too low (I know they are supposed to when off the bike) and it necessitates me to pull the pants up higher, I start running out of crotch space. I am fine once in the riding position, but off the bike the pants can ride up a little too far.

They have two very nicely sized cargo pockets built into the pants (hence the name for the pants), along with two normal pockets. I love the pants while on the bike, they are way more comfortable than riding with jeans, the airflow is fantastic. I didn't mention this earlier but all armor is SAS-TEC and includes a very large back protector, elbow/forearm armor, hip armor, and knee/shin armor.

(sorry for the messy garage, doing some reorganizing)

All in all, I am very glad I purchased this suit. It took several months to arrive (as it wasn't in production yet) but ordering directly from Stadler was a very pleasant experience and I received outstanding customer service. I have definitely never had gear of this quality as all my other jackets were low to mid range gear, but as soon as I wore got to try the Stadler gear I knew I had made the right decision. I would be happy to answer any questions that anyone has. Hope this review helps someone make a gear decision in the future.
Bazgab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:32 PM   #2
Hootowl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,231
Thanks for writing the review.
Would you share what the cost was?
Richard

'07 990A
Parting '98 1100GS. Need Anything?
Hootowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:00 PM   #3
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,904
Congratulations Most Americans don't realize this is considered an upgrade from their old Rukka suits Stadler is top notch. Looks like a great suit. I esp. like the use of AFT in non impact zones and the ability to use the liner OVER the jacket if desired. Quite nice.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:02 PM   #4
Bazgab OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootowl View Post
Thanks for writing the review.
Would you share what the cost was?
Richard
Thanks for the comments guys. The prices were as follows (using the Euro to USD conversion for today):

Jacket: $893
Pants: $592
Braces: $32
Storm Collar w/ attachment system installed on jacket: $96

Definitely not cheap but nowhere near as expensive as some of the other Stadler stuff (I am looking at you Companero). My shipment got delayed about 2 weeks after the jacket was produced as the pants were not in production yet. Stadler covered shipping because of this, which was awesome of them.
Bazgab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:19 PM   #5
Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazgab View Post
Definitely not cheap.
Good stuff rarely is but it is no more expensive than any other top end gear. There really isn't a lot out there to choose from; Stadler, Rukka, etc.

I saw a slew of Stadler jackets and pants at Biker Land just over a week ago when I dropped in. Impressive gear! I have Stadler's GPS coordinates stored and will stop in next year.

Euro & North American Travel & Technical Stuff for the R1150 GS & Adventure

Euro & Alps Motorcycle Tours - Priced Right, How to go about

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.....A. Einstein
Global Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:06 AM   #6
Rackemcrackem
Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer: 395
Thanks for the excellent review. The gear looks very, very nice. I hope you keep us informed regarding performance over the next few months.
Rackemcrackem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:26 PM   #7
happyrider84
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Thank you for the review! Seems like almost a year has passed now, how do you like the suit so far? I'm interested in your experiences in riding in warm weather (70+ degrees). Do you find it comfortable even when riding at lower speed? Are there any areas you find hot during the ride?

Also, I like to hear your opinion on the liners. Is the suit still a good fit when all the liners are removed? Or is it quite more spacey?

If you could post pictures of the suit with the rain liner over the armor that would be very nice!
happyrider84 is offline   Reply With Quote