User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2013, 07:38 AM   #1
omgshesaboy OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
First Solo OverNight Trip/Intro

Hey everyone, I have been a long time lurker of the site and finally posting for the first time ill keep it short and sweet.

I ride a 2004 ktm 450exc currently has 165hrs/3600 miles 80% street.

Next month I am planning a trip from cleveland ohio to topsail beach NC, ive been thinking of riding backroads through ohio south (rt60 and rt555). making my way down to deals gap and then riding trails east as far as I can through the mountains.

I have been changing the oil on my KTM every 500 miles with full synthetic motul 10w50 and plan on doing a couple oil changes during my trip. I plan on making this a 7 day round trip with some camping and some hotels.

What should I be prepared for? any route suggestions are welcome.Is my KTM going to blow up on me with all of those street miles?

Here is my steed with my wolfman luggage setup:

Cheers!
omgshesaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:43 AM   #2
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,794
Why are you changing the oil so often ? Waste, waste
Old 07-05-2013, 07:51 AM   #3
omgshesaboy OP
n00b

i got that interval from reading many online discussions I will probably go longer intervals on my trip. I also have a clarke 3 gallon tank
Old 07-13-2013, 08:03 PM   #4
idealistix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
I don't know about the KTM450 specifically, but I'd be very surprised if you have to change the oil so frequently for street miles. It's however very important to make sure that oil level is sufficient (if your bike is prone to burning oil).
idealistix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:58 AM   #5
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgshesaboy View Post
i got that interval from reading many online discussions I will probably go longer intervals on my trip. I also have a clarke 3 gallon tank
Online discussions of oil are...well...you know.

Once you get to SE Ohio it'll be hard to find a bad road.

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:39 AM   #6
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 717
Safe travel

Just make sure to check your oil, engine temp, tires pressure.......Add some gas and Have fun and be safe.

As for oil change at 500 miles interval I will have to change my oild every weekend
Scubalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:35 PM   #7
Munzo
n00b

Interested to see how this trip goes and which route you end up taking. The girlfriend and I will be making a similar trip in September. Cincinnati to Top Sail. Looking forward to your report.
Munzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:30 PM   #8
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,812
Are you concerned about road miles because your gearing is low? With a small enough rear sprocket your bike should be able to cruise at 75 mph all day. OEM size or -2 should work well. You can cut out the extra links, buy an extra master link, and make it easy to switch back and forth.

Looks like you have a nice setup there; should be a great trip!
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:51 PM   #9
4PawsHacienda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 469
Topsail beach area is great! Can't help but enjoy yourself. Plenty of NC Highways to get you there through the country and avoiding the interstate, Bit slower but a heck of a lot more fun and scenic. Deals Gap to the beach is a heck of a long ways. If you ride down thru W VA and maybe pick up hwy 16 and ride it quite a ways you've done some great roads and fantastic scenery. End up in the middle of NC and make your way to the coast on some lesser roads where 55 − 60 is't a dangerously slow speed.
Hwy 421 gets kinda funky around the larger cities, hwy 64 is a better choice for slow speed travel. You really don't want to go near I40 or Raleigh region. Greensboro and Winston just plain suck at anything below warp speed.
Hwy 64 to 421 to 24 to 17 is about as good as you can do down here, guessing your travel speed would be similar to mine on my Ural.

Blue Ridge Parkway is a nice ride too. Take your time and enjoy the ride. Sounds like you have a full 7 days riding planned with only an overnight at the beach.
4PawsHacienda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:45 AM   #10
omgshesaboy OP
n00b

Ended up selling the KTM last week for a price I couldn't refuse. Picked up this 07 Husqvarna sm610 the same day and figured this will be a much better tool for the trip. Leaving in 2 weeks and have almost all of my planning done.

Old 08-11-2013, 04:46 AM   #11
omgshesaboy OP
n00b

Thanks for the info

Sent from my M470BSA using Tapatalk 2