User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2013, 11:09 AM   #1
sh1bby69 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 526
A couple years after crash...

I dont know where else to post this but I feel like it's most appropriate here.

October 15, 2011 my wife and I were riding back from a KLR tech day from Eagle Mikes shop in San Diego. On the 5 fwy I noticed a big rig truck swerve a few lanes over and everyone were slamming on their brakes. Next thing I knew I was going to slam directly into the rear of a sedan. Quick thinking I was able to divert quick in enough to clip the vehicle but still ended up going down.

As soon as we came to a rest I started to call out to my wife via headset. No response. She was still next to me but not moving or responding. I panicked thinking I just killed my wife. We had only been married for 4 months. Her eyes rolled back into her head and looked like she stopped breathing. So I went to take her helmet off to perform CPR.

By that time a bystander grabbed me and pulled me aside. Few more people came out to calm me down and to stay with my wife. Next thing I hear is "she has a pulse and she still breathing". I was relieved.

We were both taken to Scripts Hospital in La Jolla. She suffered a concussion, fracture skull, and fractured pelvis. I walked away just feeling sore. Bike was totaled. The vehicle I hit took off from the scene.

What happened was a lady on the freeway suffered a seizure and cars were darting out of the way to avoid hitting her. We were the unlucky motorcyclist to be caught in that jam.

She's fully recovered now. Glad that she's still with me and it wasn't anything worse. My buddy who works traffic for OCSD stated it could have been worse if you ended up hitting the rear of the vehicle head on. The quick thinking saved our asses.

The reason I posted this is that I need some help with getting over the accident. I enjoy riding with my wife and taking long trips. She herself enjoys it. I recently built a KLR650 hack. I just keep thinking what happens if another accident happens again? We may not be so lucky...etc.

Is there any way to over come it? What have you done? I just want to stop thinking negative. We are looking to do a trip next month to Santa Barbara and Solvang on the hack.

Riding around locally isn't an issue but longer trips I worry. I don't plan on taking her back up on two wheels anytime soon.

Thanks in advance guys!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-06-2013, 11:30 AM   #2
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
First off, I would be far more critical of your riding then you are. You say quick thinking and I think didn't give himself enough time. I don't doubt reflexes may have helped you, but that shouldn't be a strategy. Not trying to blame it all on you, but I don't think you should use a copout either. Own your fuckup and learn from it. I've fucked up too and those moments are burned into my head.

Having ridden and lived in san diego 4 years, I can say that there are definitely bad drivers and being on a bike is risky. Accept it or don't. That's really all there is to it.

You won't receive a social pat on the back from me.
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:40 AM   #3
sh1bby69 OP
Studly Adventurer

I get what your saying. I wasn't looking for a pat on the back. Looking back I should have given more room. At that time I didn't feel like I was tail gating but i didn't factor in the braking of the KLR 2 up. I've learned from it and now when I do ride I'm giving ample room of not more.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:46 AM   #4
luckychucky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,163
Congradulations!!!

You realized you were following too close, mistake and lesson learned. Now don't look back get on your bike and go-go. We are human and it happens. You will be more careful now. Good luck getting your wife back on with you. Glad your still with us. California, on a motorcycle, better have wings, get a fast one. I personally would feel safer on two wheels than the additional hack to worry about. Think of it like this, you only get to die once, do you wanna die having fun, or in an old folks home with poop in your pants? Live it up.
luckychucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:32 PM   #5
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Keep on riding

Sorry about your mishaps sh1bb. I have seen many other rider would give up riding after a bad crash seemingly because they are thinking of the wife and kids.....etc
To ride a motorcycle especially in Ca you have to have a passion and desire to be able to get back on the saddle. You and your wife should try to take some small trip first and avoid traffic area trying to gain confidence. I am sure after a few trip you two will be ready for a long trip. If after a few trips and still not comfortable i would give it a rest. IMO good luck and hope to see you on the road soon
Btw what part of OC are you in? I have just moved to HB from San Diego not liking so far
Scubalong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:35 PM   #6
sh1bby69 OP
Studly Adventurer

Im in Mission Viejo about 15-20mins south depending on traffic. Im always down to ride with others.

Old 07-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #7
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
I would love too but.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh1bby69 View Post
Im in Mission Viejo about 15-20mins south depending on traffic. Im always down to ride with others.

I am recovering from a spill in DV noob rally did a real good job by badly damaged my clavicle
After three months and the bone is not healing might take another 3 months. I do have a big ride to Cabo in Nov you and your wife are welcome to join
Scubalong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #8
Off Road USA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
I can relate to this I creamed a semi doing around 90 , at least that was the last speed I remember ,,now this was in 1982 ,,my fuckup..you bet it was. I saw a slow moving semi on a nowhere hi way and it just so happens he was turning left as I went to pass.. took me a long time to recover and get back on but you can bet I ride with more caution now as was said before learn from it and ride on brother ..
Off Road USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:37 AM   #9
Unscathed
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Not gonna lie, I doubt that feeling will ever really leave you.
No matter how careful you are, there's always the possibility that some idiot will do something that you just can't be prepared for, and won't be able to react in time for...
I've been knocked off my bike (by cars) twice, both times needed surgery after.
It wasn't technically 'my fault' either time.... I'm sure if I was going 20 under the speed limit, constantly checking everywhere, with big flashing lights on my vest, I may not have been hit..
Now I won't let my wife ride in the city - only on longer cruises...
It sucks, and I constantly think about giving it up - especially with all those damn youtube videos of people getting hit out of nowhere
There's a reason you don't find too many EMS/doctor's riding.
Too bad it's so fun!
Unscathed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:56 AM   #10
sh1bby69 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubalong View Post
I am recovering from a spill in DV noob rally did a real good job by badly damaged my clavicle
After three months and the bone is not healing might take another 3 months. I do have a big ride to Cabo in Nov you and your wife are welcome to join
Ill consider that offer to ride to Cabo. That sounds like a lot of fun!

Thanks for all your input. Learn and move on. "Keep your head on a swivel"

Old 07-07-2013, 10:44 AM   #11
diesel1959
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
You guys went down the day after I did. I'm glad to hear you're both on your feet and doing well. Keep riding.

diesel1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:47 PM   #12
Big-O
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
What happened, happened. That part is over, now recovery for both you and your bride. See how she feels about it, after a few months, leave her be and be greatful you can give her a hug. Mine passed away, I'm sad that she is gone, that is it. When the proper time comes, ask her if she still wants to ride and how she feels about you riding. As for me, I never let anyone get close to me on a highway, I always move to a safe spot ready to take defensive actions. I never follow too closely especially if the vehicle ahead has ANY shit piled in or on it that could break loose. Those, I get away from or get ahead of them. Have fun and leave the guilt for God to deal with, He and your girl have already forgiven you so you deserve to forgive yourself. Have fun.
Big-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:24 PM   #13
mr. matteeanne
Bender can pass him

Oddometer: 14,297
Never ride on I-5 you will be fine
Old 07-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #14
sphyrnidus
born to ride

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unscathed View Post
There's a reason you don't find too many EMS/doctor's riding.
Too bad it's so fun!
Well I'm a doctor and have a lot of doctor friends who ride. There's even an mc here in the Netherlands with mostly people working in healthcare.
I really don't think doctors ride less than otter people, only there are less of us as % of people :)
Old 07-10-2013, 01:45 AM   #15
holckster
dougholck

Oddometer: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. matteeanne View Post
Never ride on I-5 you will be fine
Never ride 2 up on a KLR.
Make sure the next bike you put her on has ABS brakes.
Glad your both OK.

04 BMW 1150GS Adventure
08 DR650
02 BMW K1200LTe
05 Yamaha TW200
BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

holckster is offline   Reply With Quote