Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2013, 06:23 AM   #16
Rockmuncher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
I always thought it was better to be seen rather than heard. I like to have the lights all lit up day or night. If Joe no-mind is in his car with the windows up and the music cranked he isn't hearing anything.
Loud pipes save lives like little beany helmets save heads.
Rockmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:27 AM   #17
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmuncher View Post
I always thought it was better to be seen rather than heard. I like to have the lights all lit up day or night. If Joe no-mind is in his car with the windows up and the music cranked he isn't hearing anything.
Loud pipes save lives like little beany helmets save heads.
Don't forget the mystical power of the do-rag.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:36 AM   #18
L84dinr
Timing is Everything

Oddometer: 10
Loud Pipes get tickets...

I owned a Moto Guzzi V50 Monza way back when. Me N the Spousal Unit were living in south Arlington, TX at the time and my commute was about 20-25 minutes along two major highways. Sunday evening the SU finds me in the garage removing the mufflers off the Guzzi. She asks "what r u doing". I just wanted to hear how the bike would sound... I grinned and told her "loud pipes save lives." She shakes her head and sez your gonna get a ticket.
Coming home Monday evening there is an access road with no connecting roads. About mile long straight. I leave the green twisting the loud handle. wrap the little bugger up in every gear. Stop at the end red light and turn right and again start twisting on the loud handle. Crest the hill about middle of third gear and notice a M/C cop sitting in a side road. Start short shifting and back the noise level way down. The cop pulls me over, DOT's my bike, I still had OK tags on it. He writes me a ticket for no M/C license. (had recently moved to TX from OK). Starts to walk away, turns back and sez, "I heard you from the first green light, put the mufflers back on." He likely would have pulled me over... but the pipes sure drew unwanted attention at the time.
L84dinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:00 AM   #19
DragonNester
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
Harley folks don't make their pipes loud to be safer. They do because it's always and forever will be, the quintessential cruiser exhaust note. If you're not part of the culture, you'll never understand. Deal with it and move on!

BTW...My Tiger is so quiet, I'm glad it has a gear indicator to help me know what gear I'm in.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:34 AM   #20
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
You have interacted with another victim of H.D.'s marketing dept.

"H.D." does not make or sell loud pipes.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:38 AM   #21
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricochetrider View Post
Here I thought loud SHIRTS save lives....
Old 07-07-2013, 09:04 AM   #22
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,884
I have had tons of advice from others. One day at a park, a good spot to pee and check nature out on a good alpha road in WI, a HD rider comes over and we talk.
He rides a lot and tipped me off to some really good roads I would not have known otherwise. His bike had almost 100k miles on it.
Good talk. Good guy.
So, I always talk with people. I might not agree but I might just learn something.
You never know...
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:25 AM   #23
LngRidr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
When people tell me about their loud pipes i like asking them how much of a discount they get on their insurance for their loud pipes. I mean certainly if you get a discount for ABS, imagine how much you must save be having a life saving device on your bike!! For some reason it always leads to blank stares or them mumbling something.

Jon Kohler
sent from my iPhone
IBA# 24562
LngRidr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:44 AM   #24
SRanger331
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy_Crk View Post
The only sticker on my bike at the moment:

Where did you get that?
SRanger331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:48 AM   #25
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
Loud pipes just piss off other driver and riders. I wont my bike to sound nice but not so loud it can be heard about a mile away.
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:52 AM   #26
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 49,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Loud Pipes Shifts Save Lives!!!

Quote changed to reflect the BMW reality!

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:47 AM   #27
mattoid1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
I don't get the loud pipes either, and I ride an Electra Glide, with stock pipes. The only thing I changed on the EGlide was the windshield, so I look over it. Instead of spending $5,000 on pipes, jets, chrome and skulls, I bought a 2001 BMW 1150 GS. Both great bikes, for me.
As far as tips from Harley riders, they can be as right or wrong as riders of any other manufacturer.

Mattoid1
mattoid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:58 AM   #28
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,927
The stock pipes on a modern Harley sound like an old VW. Instead of potato potato you get chirp cheep chirp cheep
There are better sounding pipes that aren't loud. Then there are really fricking loud pipes.
I've spent a lot on making my bikes my own and that includes adjusting the sound on the HD.
It's not loud, it is louder than stock though.

For the record, I ride mine; a lot...

Reading this thread just before changing the rear tire yesterday, I almost put my stock pipes on. But I remembered the chirpy sound it made. Then my neighbor fired up his Z06 and drove away louder than any bike I've ever owned. It sounds great! I put the V&H back on.

We aren't all asshats and frankly I've met more asses on GS's than on HD's. Good thing I own both to keep my asshat quota in check!
Old 07-07-2013, 12:04 PM   #29
PT Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 650
Riding behind a bike with loud pipes spoils my ride.

Quote:
I bought a used Harley with V&H short shots on it. They were maybe 30" long .... Thing is, the bike ran terribly with no appreciable back pressure.
Back pressure is always a detriment. The real need for pipes of a certain length is the sound pressure wave propagation. Pipes that are too short (or headers too short on a multi-cylinder engine into a collector) does not run the best. Here's more:
"As the exhaust valve opens, the relatively high cylinder pressure (70 – 90 psi), initiates exhaust blowdown and a large pressure wave travels down the exhaust pipe.....As the exhaust pressure wave arrives at the end of the exhaust pipe, part of the wave is reflected back towards the cylinder as a negative pressure (or vacuum) wave. This negative wave, if timed properly to arrive at the cylinder during the overlap period can help scavenge the residual exhaust gases in the cylinder and also can initiate the flow of intake charge into the cylinder. Since the pressure waves travel at near the speed of sound, the timing of the negative wave can be controlled by the primary pipe length for a particular rpm.....the trick to proper exhaust tuning is to tune an exhaust system is produce a negative wave of the proper strength timed to occur at cylinder overlap."
http://www.burnsstainless.com/theory.aspx
Old 07-07-2013, 12:38 PM   #30
mattoid1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
"stock pipes on a modern Harley sound like an old VW"

You must be doing it wrong. I hear you about the asshats on GS's though, Oh well, .
mattoid1 is offline   Reply With Quote