User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2013, 01:31 PM   #16
JagLite
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 965
Thumb Lowering the front end

I posted how I lowered the front end on my DR tracker by cutting the springs and making a longer limiter spacer on the damper if you want to check out how it ended up.
I'm happy with it.
But, I also lowered the rear a lot.

My build thread:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=857154
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:13 PM   #17
Apocalipsis FZR OP
I´m too old for this....

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagLite View Post
I posted how I lowered the front end on my DR tracker by cutting the springs and making a longer limiter spacer on the damper if you want to check out how it ended up.
I'm happy with it.
But, I also lowered the rear a lot.

My build thread:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=857154
YEs, I saw your build threat. Nice Clean Tracker you made!!! Contest Value!!!

Im afraid mine will be more a mixture between Tracker / Brat / RAt "self propelled roller device"...

By the way, Im going in your direction regarding a reduced or chopped spring (even with the Idea of removing the part that has a lower Spring Coeficient - aka the soft part of the spring-) but you added a spacer in Rod damper in order to reduce the general travel of the fork, so the bike will not "head ups" under hard aceleration...or you noticed that the front suspension was unstable without the spacer in the damper rod???

Sorry if its a big question, but you have the knowledge to save me A LOT of R&D time !!
Old 07-18-2013, 11:03 PM   #18
JagLite
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 965
Cool2 Lowering

That is interesting to think about.
NOT installing a travel limiter spacer on the damper rod.

Cutting the springs will drop the front end but you wouldn't be able to set the sag for your weight.
A fork pre-load spacer (on the top of the springs) is how you fine tune the sag once the spring rate is correct.
Without a travel limiter any preload spacer would just raise the forks tubes up without compressing the springs.

I never considered NOT limiting the "up" travel of the fork actually.
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:25 AM   #19
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,259
Excellent project!

Being a cheap-ass myself I really enjoy seeing what a guy can do with an idea and some basic tools in his garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagLite View Post
I thought I was building a budget tracker until I added up all the bits I bought and was shocked at the total spent!
OMG! You did WHAT??? I NEVER add up my receipts! That's a sure-fired way to spoil the satisfaction and joy of a good project.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:34 PM   #20
Bambi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 656
Hello Apocalipso and also JagLite,
owning a Suzuki DR 750 Big in near-to original trim and painted as a replica to the first Dakar-version in Marlboro-coulours, I do like those building-threads around the bigger Suzuki DRs. Both of you did or has done a great job. Although me in person, I would have prefered JagLite's bike in plain black without the golden lining and the AJS-logo. But that's my personal taste to honour a great bike of the past without copying it.
Kind regards, Bambi
Old 07-25-2013, 06:28 PM   #21
Apocalipsis FZR OP
I´m too old for this....

Thank you for your kind words, Bambi.
And nice BIG you have there...

OK..these last two weeks were hard..The job is killing me, so no left over stamina for the bike after 9 hours in the officce...
The last weekends I´ve been working on my adventure bike in order to prepeare it for the Andes Heights, so less time for the tracker..
To sum up, I´ve started a respectable construction work in my House in order to give more space and natural light to my wife´s design studio, and (although the Construction Contractor is a close friend and fellow rider) the whole thing is stressing for the Couple (as any house construction when you are living in the house with two young kids) and for the wallet (why contractors dont understand the concept of a close budget?? Jeez... ).

So now I slowly started with some ideas that will end up in a a lot of hand work with almost no special tools.
Just a side Note, I already sent the top heads to the machine shop.
One top head for only a combustion chamber refurbishing, and the other for a huge mod in order to have the first DR650 camshaft on roller bearings in history...

Fisrt of all, head light protection design.

The best one I ever used is the one that is mounted in the "Jurassic Rally" Adveture Bike. Just Transparent Acrilic .

The most durable (because you can bend it to its more or less original shape after a hit) is the Wire net design,like the one that I have in my dailly conmutter (I call it " The CAT"...for Caterpillar).

In order to follow the OLD roller idea, the wire net protector was selected...so lets go.
First of all...I need the starting point , that is .....

Yes, the thing that you have to use in order to retrieve the French Chips from the boiling oil...and I really have no idea how you call this in English...

It will end with something like this, but with a Black finish:

Then is the issue with the rear shocks and the Seat.
Look at the following Pictures:

I really dont like the position (almost vertical) and the height of the rear end. I need to replace my brand New, extremly cheap Chineesse twin shocks -made for the Chineesse version of the Yamaha YBR 125 (lenght 33 cm) - for something MORE CHEAP , preferably Chineese, of 27 cm....

The other thing is the seat.
I think is too tall, so Im in the doubt of removing some foam...this will end in a thinner and smaller seat...but also will reduce my butts comfort....
Being a former Super sport young rider...I dont like the idea of suffer "AGAIN" a racing seat on my 40´s..
What do you think??

Apocalipsis FZR screwed with this post 07-25-2013 at 06:36 PM
Apocalipsis FZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:29 PM   #22
RedRaptor22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Looks good so far, the potato chip strainer headlight guard is genius!

For the seat I'd replace the foam with some more dense rubbery carpet padding foam and cut it thinner, maybe even taper it towards the back so it comes out more flat with the world on top.

The more dense foam will give you the support you need and still be comfortable, never was a fan of fluffy seats, just not enough support there.
RedRaptor22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:07 PM   #23
Apocalipsis FZR OP
I´m too old for this....

OK. sorry for the delay, but Im in the final countdown for my trip and I have no more free time.
First week of sept I gotta be in Bogota (Colombia) for work, the following week I have to ship the bike to Jujuy (North of Argentina), and on Set 19th I gotta catch a flight to join my bike in Jujuy....after that, off road adventure ride until NAZCA (PERU) , so no or little time for the tracker and less for the Forum...

Lets go to the updates:

TANK painted, waiting for the final gloss (in fact Im waiting for the tank logos to be finished-my wifw is designing them-, so I can put the Poliurethane gloss on top).
Painting was slowly, mainly because is winter here and I have no heated painting place.... (its a "father of 2 married man shelter", not an "open wallet wealthy single man machine garage")..

Final, Waiting for the logos and the gloss...

I have a Compressed air painting gun, but...after making the math...it WAS CHEAPPER painting everything with Rattle can than buying the paint!!!!

Rattle can does not mean shitty, it all depends on the quality of the job you make, and patience...

Do you remeber this???

OK, now is this:

Apocalipsis FZR screwed with this post 08-23-2013 at 06:16 PM
Apocalipsis FZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:03 AM   #24
duckman
"sic gorgiamus allos

Oddometer: 872
how about a pair of rubber knee panels from a late model triumph on that beautiful green tank.
and no do rags
'we gladly feast on those who would subdue us'
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:50 AM   #25
Apocalipsis FZR OP
I´m too old for this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman View Post
how about a pair of rubber knee panels from a late model triumph on that beautiful green tank.
Yes, I was considering that.
The only issue is that Triumph isnt extremly available here.
I have more options with NSU Speedmaster´s units or even Gilera´s , but I refuse to pay a LOT of money for a couple of rubber sheets...no matter what type of decals it has stamped on it...
Old 08-24-2013, 05:56 AM   #26
Apocalipsis FZR OP
I´m too old for this....

THIS:

Now is this:

Wiring si through the frame.
BAse is made of stainless sheet metal.
Its not pristine (came from ebay), but its a little bit nicer than the original set up.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:00 AM   #27
Apocalipsis FZR OP
I´m too old for this....

AHH!!!

And this:

Its already assembled, with stainless spokes, safyty wiring between spokes (old school) and installed (shitty pic, sorry).

Jeezz...its freezzing here...
I´ll try to take some pic outside in the sun when the Final gloss of tha tank is ready....sorry
Old 08-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #28
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,379
i borrowed(stole, actually....) 'yer idea for the fry basket headlight grille.... i had an old 8" one that fit my Baja Designs light perfectly on my KTM.... painted it up, ziptyed it to the light frame, fits like a glove... i should post a pic, but i dunno how here... great idea, i'll always give you credit....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:02 PM   #29
Apocalipsis FZR OP
I´m too old for this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesupreme View Post
i borrowed(stole, actually....) 'yer idea for the fry basket headlight grille.... i had an old 8" one that fit my Baja Designs light perfectly on my KTM.... painted it up, ziptyed it to the light frame, fits like a glove... i should post a pic, but i dunno how here... great idea, i'll always give you credit....
Nice!!!
Post a picture!!!

I´ll give you another idea for finishing it.
A you have noticed, the wire net is too thin to weld (at least with something that is not a ¨point welder¨ -Im literally translating from spanish here, Im sure this type of welder has another name in technical english slang- so , in order to have a nice and neat finish for the complete assembly, what I do is the following:

Y prepare the supporting frame for the headlight protection in aluminium.
Where this aluminium frame encounters the fry basket , I perform several small holes.
Then, using safety stainless wire,I sew the fry basket to the supporting frame, in across pattern , extremly tight.

Then I use a general epoxi glue just to make it extremly tight, and in order to allow a perfect finish....then Paint and thats it!!

TOURATECH is NICE....but I preffer to spend my money in other creations (big bore kits, advanced cams, etc...)
Old 08-24-2013, 08:32 PM   #30
Krasniewski
I don't ride much.

Oddometer: 1,101
Love this thread. Thanks for sharing!

Looks like you really have some great skills.
Krasniewski is offline   Reply With Quote