Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2013, 08:50 PM   #1
akpasta OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Honda CL350- No Valve Adjustment?

Hello,

I'm tuning up an early 70s Honda CL350, I'm actually not sure of the year it's not my bike but I noticed the strangest thing. I took the valve caps off, and I don't see any adjustment mechanism to adjust the valve clearance. No lock nut, no valve adjuster, nothin. It almost appears as if you have to take the engine out and remove the valve cover to get to the adjustment screws!! Can anyone give me more info on this? I've failed to locate a manual online for this bike so I can't say what the design is.

The clearance is a bit much, but the engine runs pretty quietly anyways. Not sure what to advise the owner, but for him to have me do it if the engine truly needs to be dropped and valve covers removed will probably be prohibitively expensive. It would probably cost at least $300 ANYWHERE around here to have that one, maybe even more.

Thanks!

Andy
akpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:57 PM   #2
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,634
The rocker arms ride on an eccentric shafts with lock nuts on the outside of the head. The valve caps are so you can insert a feeler gauge.

See here:

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...9198#sch396318
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:32 PM   #3
akpasta OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ah, interesting. So you insert your feeler gauge between the valve tappets, then you loosen the corresponding nut, which I assume is on the outside of the engine, and then tighten the nut again with feeler gauge between tappets, which sets the gap? Weird design. Is there anything tricky I should know about?
Old 07-07-2013, 08:09 AM   #4
mike in idaho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Remove the oval shaped chrome covers on either side of the head. There are some arrow marks by the adjusters, be sure turn them that direction to take up the clearance. It's possible to turn them the other way to set the clearance but that will move the ecccentric the wrong direction and the rocker tip will not hit the valve stem properly. Use a good screwdriver that fits the slot in the rocker shaft, the locknuts will be hard to loosen if the PO has over tightening things and deforming the threads. I don't remember what the official specs for clearance are, we used to use .002" and .005", seem to run well with good idle quality at those numbers.
'72 Commando 750
My company car is a Kenworth
mike in idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:53 PM   #5
electroken
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
.002" intake, .004" exhaust, per the factory service manual. Turn the eccentric shaft CW for left intake and right exhaust. Turn it CCW for right intake and left exhaust.
electroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:12 PM   #6
akpasta OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I got it. It was easy to figure how it worked but a bitch to get it tightened down to the perfect gap.