Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 06:25 AM   #1
Mtl_Biker OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 504
PC to Mac... How?

I'm a long-time PC user as well as a Garmin user and only recently I bought my first Mac... a MacBook Air that I intend to use while I'm traveling by bike. Because of the comments here about BaseCamp being better on the Mac than on the PC, I downloaded and installed it on my Mac and now I'm trying to get everything working on the Mac sort of the way I had it on the PC (but better).

I can't figure out how to move things from the PC to the Mac. I'm not even talking about (yet) things like my saved POI's and routes. My immediate frustration is how to get my main NA (Lifetime) map to install on the Mac. Yes, it's visible in BaseCamp but ONLY WHEN my Zumo 660 is connected to the Mac, but on my PC I have the map installed to BOTH my GPS and my computer.

Older versions of Garmin Express allowed changing the installation parameters so that a map could be installed to BOTH the GPS unit and computer, but unfortunately the newest versions do not. Installing instead to ONLY the GPS unit. On the PC I got MapInstall which still DOES allow installation of maps to both locations.

MapInstall on the Mac however doesn't give that option and comes up with a message saying that no unlocked maps could be found.

So, how do I get my map onto the Mac?

Thanks!
#6 2011 BMW K1300GT (sold)
#7 2011 Triumph Tiger 800 (sold)
#8 2013 BMW F800GS Kalamata Metallic
Mtl_Biker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:03 AM   #2
Steve W
Old Grouch

Oddometer: 636
You need to use Garmin Map Updater, forget Express. MapInstal is for adding maps to a data card. When you run Updater there's an "Advanced" button that will take you to an options screen where you can choose the instal that works for you.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:36 PM   #3
Mtl_Biker OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 504
Thanks very much, Steve! Worked like a charm!

I'd done the same thing on my PC but forgot the name of the program I used since Map Updater doesn't appear as an installed program. Same thing now on the Mac... You can run it from the location you downloaded it from, but it doesn't appear with other apps through App Launcher.

In any case, I've got it now. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
You need to use Garmin Map Updater, forget Express. MapInstal is for adding maps to a data card. When you run Updater there's an "Advanced" button that will take you to an options screen where you can choose the instal that works for you.
#6 2011 BMW K1300GT (sold)
#7 2011 Triumph Tiger 800 (sold)
#8 2013 BMW F800GS Kalamata Metallic
Mtl_Biker is online now   Reply With Quote