Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2013, 09:09 PM   #46
SWICKED OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
tirp number 8 and another 600 miles is in the bag.

9/20 9/22/13

chico to fresno and back. SUCH A BORING RIDE.

late night biker scum trip prep.

packed up and ready to roll.

on the back of the bike is wakeboard, kneeboard, tent, and my personal bag. in the car, wife, the dog, 2 twin size air mattress, wife's 2 personal bags and some food for the dog. blankets and pillows were supplied by my parents.

destination reached.

the next day i met up with gypswriter and the dude for a mini ADV meet. i really enjoyed spending time with them and sharing my hack with them. i can say that im looking forward to the next time.

had a great time seeing old friends and getting back behind of a wake boat. as time wore on so did the weather. it changer from be sunny with out a cloud in the sky to a dark skys and dust filled air.

packed up again and ready for get to our next destination FAST. notice color of water and the sky behind the trees.

40 mph cross wind. notice trees.

fresno is some where in that direction and we had to go that direction. we ran into more 40 mph cross wind with rain and hail. it only sucked for a little bit. hail was like 1/8" in dia. but it felt like getting shot with air soft "bb"

then on the way home the bike started running ruff. could be closed points, or valves. i hope we can get that situated tomorrow.

the bike and i are currently working towards 3500 miles together. in early october i need to do this trip again but i will be going south of bakersfield next time.

SWICKED screwed with this post 12-22-2013 at 11:17 PM
SWICKED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:39 PM   #47
1leglance
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Great thread and thanks for all the detail build stuff and the road trip reports to show the rig in action.
I am new to sidecars and need to build a left sided mount due to my prosthetic leg (left below the knee).
Any odd handling from having the hack on the left?
Any issues with road travel?

Again great write up and looking forward to following along for more great ideas.
1leglance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:16 PM   #48
Old Mule
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
left side?

Lefty's made one of my fave sidecar outfits on the ADV...

I was a prosthetic tech, a friend modified his old Royal Enfield Interceptor to both brake and shift on the right...it's been done a lot.

You won't have any trouble driving a right hand sidecar, just swing the leg over....(unless you like apehangers).

Some riders with one leg like Guzzis, for their integrated braking which can be made to use the hand lever to brake both wheels. They are great sidecar bikes.

What do you ride now?
Old Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:25 PM   #49
SWICKED OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1leglance View Post
Great thread and thanks for all the detail build stuff and the road trip reports to show the rig in action.
I am new to sidecars and need to build a left sided mount due to my prosthetic leg (left below the knee).
Any odd handling from having the hack on the left?
Any issues with road travel?

Again great write up and looking forward to following along for more great ideas.
not a problem man. im also new to sidecars and this is my first motorcycle as well. i have had tons of fun on this thing. as for handling i really have nothing to compare it to but the way i look at the handling is that all left hand turns off a light are supper wide compared to turning right off a light. the only thing that i have an issue with is that i do not feel safe passing on a two lane road. for me i really dont see it as an issue. in my area the speed limit on two lane roads is only 55 mph on a two lane road. so if i was to make a pass i really would not be making any difference on time then the person that i would have passed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mule View Post
Lefty's made one of my fave sidecar outfits on the ADV...

I was a prosthetic tech, a friend modified his old Royal Enfield Interceptor to both brake and shift on the right...it's been done a lot.

You won't have any trouble driving a right hand sidecar, just swing the leg over....(unless you like apehangers).

Some riders with one leg like Guzzis, for their integrated braking which can be made to use the hand lever to brake both wheels. They are great sidecar bikes.

What do you ride now?
im glad that my sidecar is that awesome for you

i also posted your post on VVVV.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=934857
Old 12-22-2013, 10:37 PM   #50
SWICKED OP
Gnarly Adventurer

i have been supper lazy/busy on keeping this thread alive. i have also had some things happen to make the lefty my daily rider. i gonna try to start where i left off.

after trip 8 my bike started to perform and handle like poop. it took about a month and a half to figure out why the bikes performance turned from running like a raped ape to running like a lean mean ready to blow up machine. during this time i was able to get the bike running good enough to make a couple trips.

the performance issues started out as popping form the (only the) left carburetor. this popping would happen while rolling the throttle open from the idle jet to the main jet. without going into a long winded detail as to the steps that were taken to resolve the issue ill provide a quick list of things that were cleaned, swapped, and rebuilt.

readjust the valves, carbclean the carbs: issue not resolved, no change in symptoms
check and readjust the points: issue not resolved, no change in symptoms
new points and condenser, reset the points gap, check timing: issue not resolved, no change in symptoms
rebuild the carbs, check for air leaks: issue not resolved, no change in symptoms
swap plug leads from left side to right side and right side to left side: issue not resolved, no change in symptoms
new plugs: issue not resolved, no change in symptoms
compression test, left cylinder had low compression. rebuilt head: issue not resolved, change in symptoms, intermittent popping
clean carbs up the idle jet: issue not resolved, no change in symptoms
trip 9 to sacramento, ca to check out a vintage bike show and meet and greet, pictures and detail later: issue not resolved, no change in symptoms
trip 10 to Manchester to hang out with the nor cal airheads, pictures and details later: issue not resolved, no change in symptoms
rebuilt carbs and upped the idle jet: issue not resolved, change in symptoms, popping still happens and header are glow bright red.
rebuilt carbs and upped the main jet: issue not resolved, no change in symptoms, popping still happens and header are glow bright red.
rebuilt the advance and reset the timing: issue resolved, lefty now and has been running like a raped ape.

^^^ that's as cut and dry as i can explain the issue with the performance of the bike.

SWICKED screwed with this post 12-23-2013 at 12:48 AM
Old 12-22-2013, 11:03 PM   #51
SWICKED OP
Gnarly Adventurer

now on to the handling. before i really get into the meat and potatos of my issue im going to feed you all an appetizer dish of history.

When Chris first picked up this bike it was a hot mess but a running hot mess. before it was torn apart to sell off bit by bit Chis and Matt "hopscotching" decided to take it around the block a few times. lets just say they were horrified in the handling in this rig i mean supper bad low speed wobble. the wobble would happen more during breaking.

so back to current times to when i got the wild hair to take on this project. it was highly advise to add a steering dampener. actions were taken and there was no more speed wobble. at least up until trip 9 to sacramento. during that ride i felt that my steering was getting harder and harder. it also felt like it was locking up on long sweeping curves. needless to say it did not take long until i removed the dampener while sitting on the side of the free way. so i been dealing with that low speed wobble for the last month and 500 miles. at speeds greater then 25-30mph the lefty travels straight and true but once i get into lower speeds things get crazy. i found my self entering into turns, curves, and stops quicker and getting out a lot quicker. so in my book the saying "in slow, out fast" has been no good for me. over the coarse of the last month the steering head bearings had been replaced and i went to a completely different breaking arrangement and got a new tire. all of which resolved the speed wobble.

now prepare yourself for the pictures, and comments overload.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:54 PM   #52
SWICKED OP
Gnarly Adventurer

performance issue

listen in on the issue. VV video.
http://s437.photobucket.com/user/swi...cce0d.mp4.html

lefty had to catch a ride to the shop

resetting the valves

sadly lefty cant think with only one head.

burned up exhaust valve notice gap and on left side of the right valve. also notice how much it receeded into the seat.

rebuilt head, exhaust valve is now on the left valve.

all back together except its missing the sidecar

my little helper relaxing on the job

cleaned up and re-sprung advance. i did this because it was the only thing left that did not have new parts when it came to the ignition system.

i had some electrical issues while resetting the timing. i was only getting clicking from the starter. i have no clue at to the reason why i was having this issue. i pulled the starter and hot wired it to a spare battery and getting it to spin freely, i fiddled with the starter relay, ignition switch, checked out the grounds, and put in the new battery i had. i was still having this issue with no resolve. i let it sit over night and then everything was back in running order.

if you notice in the picture picture below i was 10 bolts from pulling the motor and trans out of the frame.

after all that my poor performing motor is now performing like a raped ape.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:18 AM   #53
SWICKED OP
Gnarly Adventurer

on to the front end.

replacing steering head bearings

triple clamp reassembled

replacing the supper worn out bmw rotor with a cast iron rotor

for those that are interested how the front wheel was constructed, stock hub/bearing set with the center rib machined down which sandwiches a billet aluminum plate. there are 5 5/16 grade 8 bolts that hold everything together. the wheel was sent off to get an new tire mounted and balanced to help rid the speed wobble.

drilled and welded stress cracks on the down tubes. i also repainted the links as well.

cut off the Yamaha xs650 caliper mounts. lower link is up side down.

figuring out how to mount the caliper. the caliper is from a bmw 1150gs

new caliper mount cut and ready for welding.

fully welded and ready to go.

break swap complete

i will post pictures of it fully assembled. i been having to much fun with a rig that runs like a raped ape and handles supper smooth.

SWICKED screwed with this post 12-24-2013 at 02:48 PM
Old 12-23-2013, 12:31 AM   #54
SWICKED OP
Gnarly Adventurer

trip 9 bmw biker scum ride to a vintage bike show and meet and greet.

10/19/13 to Sacramento 166 miles

meeting location

the ride, im in front.

ending location for

i have other pictures that i will post later.

SWICKED screwed with this post 12-26-2013 at 01:34 PM
Old 12-23-2013, 12:33 AM   #55
SWICKED OP
Gnarly Adventurer

trip 10 norcal airhead octoberfest in Manchester, Ca

430 miles

at the point arena light house gate.

this is where i was about ready to push the lefty off a cliff. electrical issue, poor performance and handling.

on the way home

pictures to come soon

SWICKED screwed with this post 12-26-2013 at 01:27 PM
Old 12-23-2013, 12:41 AM   #56
SWICKED OP
Gnarly Adventurer

random pictures of a local meet up.

Boxer Metal threesome

SWICKED screwed with this post 12-26-2013 at 01:28 PM
Old 01-10-2014, 12:12 AM   #57
SWICKED OP
Gnarly Adventurer

trip 11. to then from frozen hell.

1/2/14 - 1/5/14 660 miles

I got the wild hair to take ride from Chico Ca to Porterville Ca the night of 1/2/14. i left Chico at 1900hrs and made it to Porterville 0130hrs of 1/3/14. I embarked on this trip to attend my parents birthday's (mom 53, dad 50). I could have waited till the morning but I wanted to make the most of the weekend.

Even tho I was riding in freezing temperatures it was probably the best ride I have been on. It was a great feeling laying on the tank and holding the throttle open at 5000rmps. It sure was nice having the bike perform and handle well.

geared up and ready to leave.

midnight snack and a nice spot to warm up.

a scary moment. i let my best friend take the lefty for a spin.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:16 PM   #58
SWICKED OP
Gnarly Adventurer

trip 12

200 miles 1/16/14

the bikerscum when for a ride with 260 harley riders. the ride was for a good cause that benefited the building of a war memorial for all that have fallen that were from the town of Orland, Ca.

the crew

the view

Old 01-20-2014, 10:19 PM   #59
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,419
So, with a left side hack in the states do you just watch the eyes of the monkey to know if that pass is safe or not? Eyes get BIG you know not to pass.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:10 PM   #60
TouringDave
Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer: 7,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWICKED View Post
[/URL]
Nice old Type III Squareback in the background.

Ahhh, memories.
TouringDave is offline   Reply With Quote