Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2013, 06:20 PM   #16
Straightedge OP
Skin Donor

Oddometer: 30
Thanks guys, great ideas, links, and encouragement. My wife asked why I worried about it (trail fixes) as I "probably won't be riding in the middle of nowhere". I know that one-lane country roads with no cell phone service is "in the middle if nowhere"! From the pics and stories above you never know what the next road or trail has in store.

I did break down and pay the shop to change it out. His hydraulic machine made quick work of it. He did mention the bead on one side was pretty tight. As he and a couple other guys in the Cyclegear store talked one of them mentioned a big boy they know that breaks the bead without tools. Fish story? I don't know but they did appreciate my attempts (one guy rides a legal xr).

The front tire will be done in-house. Or maybe out in the yard.
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is a daring adventure or nothing at all.
-Helen Adams Keller
Straightedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:41 PM   #17
Straightedge OP
Skin Donor

Photo proof

[/IMG]
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is a daring adventure or nothing at all.
-Helen Adams Keller
Old 07-13-2013, 06:42 PM   #18
Straightedge OP
Skin Donor

I hate smugmug...

[/IMG]
-Helen Adams Keller
Old 07-13-2013, 06:48 PM   #19
AnnieGS
Namasté, bitches!

Oddometer: 29,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straightedge View Post
better?

hit 'quote' to see the IMG coding.

It's been over seven years since I've paid for a tire change. It just takes practice.

AnnieGS screwed with this post 07-13-2013 at 06:55 PM
AnnieGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:57 AM   #20
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,361
So today was my first day back home. My friend calls me at 8am to go ride. We head out and at the trail head is his buddies house. His buddy and his son were loading up their KTMs in the trailer and one of the bikes had a flat. Right when we showed up he was in the beginning stages of changing the tube. The guy didn't use a tool to break the bead. He stomped on the tire with his heal several times and got it loose.

I thought it was awesome how the last few days I've been reading about how to do this project and the first day im back home I get to see it done. The guy was VERY experienced and it still took him about 15 mins. Im sure it will take me at least an hour when the time comes
One Fat Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:54 AM   #21
Straightedge OP
Skin Donor

Thanks AnnieGS.
-Helen Adams Keller
Old 08-17-2013, 05:17 PM   #22
zachbrowning
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
Make sure you know where the tip of your tool is. I guide it in with my fingers...
Very sound advice.
zachbrowning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:56 PM   #23
racer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,522
In addition to the above items to carry, I carry a small bottle of shampoo, available in any motel room. I wrap duct tape around it to make a smaller roll of duct tape.

Add a little water to the shampoo and use liberally. Had a flat half way across the Denali gravel highway in the middle of Alaska. Took me about two hours in a 42 degree rain to change the tube and put a patch on the inside of the tire since it had a one inch cut.

My riding partner asked what he could do......I told him to get the camera and take pictures.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:31 PM   #24
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
some beads break by stomping, some by hand even.... some require the clamp. a side stand works good if you have a friends bike (or a center stand), anyway you'll figure that out. something I highly recommend is a Bead Buddy... it's a little Y shaped wedge that holds the bead & frees up 2 hands for the spoons. also, when you pull the spoon out from between the tire & rim roll it out to the side (like parallel to the rim) when you go all the way over it tends to bite deeper into the tire

I run 30psi on the highway & drop to 18-20 in the dirt (no rimlocks)

save your money to buy Ricor valves for your KLR forks.... works wonders. forget changing the springs, go straight to the valves
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:10 PM   #25
Straightedge OP
Skin Donor

What's "funny" about this project is I haven't ridden the ex500 (but heard it run--a couple years ago!) and the KLR I rode around but have no idea how either bike is supposed to handle. The Ricors are on order/back order and a 320mm front rotor upgrade is in-house. I'm upgrading the things KLR owners fuss about but, short of riding an all-original, I won't know how much better I've made it.
Armed with this info I'm hopeful/confident the front tire change will happen this weekend. Thanks so much for the tips!
-Helen Adams Keller
Old 09-01-2013, 03:26 PM   #26
JRose
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
Lots of good info here.

Question;

How many of you carry a front and rear replacement tube? I've heard rumor that you can run a front tube in the rear for a trail fix.
JRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:23 PM   #27
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRose View Post
Lots of good info here.

Question;

How many of you carry a front and rear replacement tube? I've heard rumor that you can run a front tube in the rear for a trail fix.
Yes, you can put any size larger in a smaller tire as a temp fix, we even put an 18 inch tube in a 19" rear wheel one time, the guy didn't even know he was running a 19" rim....we kept wondering why it was such a tight fit....

The thing about putting a 21" tube in an 18" rear, when you get home, you have to swap it out again. I always carry an 18" tube and a 21" tube AND a patch kit and a 12v pump, I kinda have to ......

Old 09-04-2013, 07:16 AM   #28
mbrick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Great pics Austinjake!

What's the 2nd rod you are using for a makeshift center stand?

Was wondering how people do it on bikes without a center stand.
mbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:23 PM   #29
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails View Post
I remember changing my first tires, it was a royal PIA. Now that I have done 100 or so tires, it really is not too bad, I have a 30 gallon metal drum as a stand, a pair of long levers and WD40 in a squirt bottle. Make sure you at least have those 3 things and you will get it.
Where do you carry the 30 gallon metal drum on a trip ?
Old 09-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #30
LVCJT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204

My friends bike outside of Las Vegas this past weekend. Between us we had everything needed to change it out. Airing it up was another storyghead:

Sent from the depths of my pockets
LVCJT is online now   Reply With Quote