Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2013, 08:55 PM   #16
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,740
My Aprilia came with the ODO reading in KM but it could be re-programmed to read in Miles. I found the procedure on the Aprilia forum, I couldn't find it in the manual. I'm pretty sure your ODO can also be made to read in miles.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:00 PM   #17
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 695
same with my bv 350. it came set to km, and there was an undocumented method (simple) to change it to mi. check modernvespa.com.
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:01 PM   #18
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasigentrified View Post
same with my bv 350. it came set to km, and there was an undocumented method (simple) to change it to mi. check modernvespa.com.
I will look into setting the odometer over at modernvespa.com. I am not registered there but I spend a great deal of time browsing the forums. Its a very active scooter forum. One of the few!

On my Sport City you just hit the mode switch until it reads "Miles" but its not that simple on the Fly 150.

I am usually stuck at work Fri and Sat nights but sometimes I get them off. Yeah I have seen a black BV350 running around I am sure that was yours. Seen a red PCX running around as well. We are in good company as I have a white PCX 125 in the garage as well.

For the record the Fly 150 seems faster then my PCX125 and a hair smoother as well. Especially at idle. Not sure how it would compare to the PCX 150 but from what I have read the PCX 125 and 150 are actually pretty close most of the time. You just get about 5 MPH more up hills and 5 MPH more on the top end. Other then that they are darn near the same thing.
longhaul747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:51 PM   #19
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

just drop me a message here if there's an evening you wanna meet up!
Old 07-09-2013, 11:52 PM   #20
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 40,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul747 View Post

I have plenty of motorcycle friends but they are not much interested in my scooter side of the equation. If you are up to it we can meet at Starbucks and talk about our scoots. Just food for thought!

Sacrilege. Everyone on this forum knows there is only one two wheeled vehicle capable of going to a Starbucks.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:40 AM   #21
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,635
I have a People 150 here on the Big Island of Hawaii, and it is quite versatile. We also have a SYM HD200, and it is almost the perfect scooter. The People is a bit smaller, lighter, slower, but still a great ride. I ride either one when I run on the main highway (speed limit 55) and either can handle it. I live 12 miles from Hilo. I take the SYM when I go grocery shopping, as it has a rear cargo box and can haul a lot. I am an old motorcyclist and am going to get another one soon, but will probably still keep both these scooters too. It's great to be getting 80-88 mpg too.
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:47 AM   #22
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen View Post
Sacrilege. Everyone on this forum knows there is only one two wheeled vehicle capable of going to a Starbucks.

LOL...Good One!

Quote:
I have a People 150 here on the Big Island of Hawaii, and it is quite versatile. We also have a SYM HD200, and it is almost the perfect scooter. The People is a bit smaller, lighter, slower, but still a great ride. I ride either one when I run on the main highway (speed limit 55) and either can handle it. I live 12 miles from Hilo. I take the SYM when I go grocery shopping, as it has a rear cargo box and can haul a lot. I am an old motorcyclist and am going to get another one soon, but will probably still keep both these scooters too. It's great to be getting 80-88 mpg too.
I love Hawaii and its scooter culture. Considering the high fuel cost on the islands and the nice weather a scooter is a necessity in my book.

I own several scooters and it seems to me by definition the 150cc to 200cc models seem to be have the right combination of speed, agility, practicality and economy to be just about the perfect scooter. Just about anything smaller just does not get around fast enough in most cases. Some adjustment to that as my PCX125 gets around fine as well as my Elite 110 but the 110 is about as small as I will go and often I won't consider the Elite 110 depending on my route I need to take.

250's are not bad but they can be a tad heavy in some situations. Especially for less experienced riders. I have Sport City 250 and a Reflex 250. Both work out just fine for me but they are definitely heavier. The 300's are likely the same in this regard.

The bigger scoots like the Majesty 400 and SilverWing have its place but they can be a real handful in many situations. Also the economy goes down on these models.

Back to the odometer reading in kilometers it looks like as far as I can find I am stuck with it because its fully analog. The speedometer has large scale kilometers and smaller numbers in MPH. This is fine and I can live with that. However the analog odometer seems hard programmed for kilometers. I will just have to do a conversion. I know 100 kilometers is roughly 60 miles.

I got a new Samsung Galaxy S4 smart phone. I searched for some sort of trip meter type computer application. They have a few and they are not a big deal to buy however it appears you can only have one vehicle programmed. It would be cool to have all bikes programmed and you can just select the one you are about to ride before you head off. Some of these even link to the Fuel mileage apps making entering data super easy. As soon as I find one that supports multiple vehicles I will go for it. If anyone has a suggestion please forward.

I am about to head out and start my days worth of errands. However by coincidence and timing I ended up riding the Fly 150 over to the storage facility and swapping for my KLR650 so I can change the oil in it. This morning I am taking the KLR650 back to storage and grabbing the Fly 150 again.

When I get back home I will shoot some pictures this time using my new phone. Its really a truly beautifully styled scoot. Honestly some of the styling ques are slightly shocking (like..what were they thinking?) but then its all seems fine once you understand its Italian heritage. One things for sure you will not see this style with any Asian manufacture. Piaggio did a good job of keeping it very modern without it loosing that classic Italian style.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #23
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,740
Quote:
LOL...Good One!

I love Hawaii and its scooter culture. Considering the high fuel cost on the islands and the nice weather a scooter is a necessity in my book.

I own several scooters and it seems to me by definition the 150cc to 200cc models seem to be have the right combination of speed, agility, practicality and economy to be just about the perfect scooter. Just about anything smaller just does not get around fast enough in most cases. Some adjustment to that as my PCX125 gets around fine as well as my Elite 110 but the 110 is about as small as I will go and often I won't consider the Elite 110 depending on my route I need to take.

250's are not bad but they can be a tad heavy in some situations. Especially for less experienced riders. I have Sport City 250 and a Reflex 250. Both work out just fine for me but they are definitely heavier. The 300's are likely the same in this regard.

The bigger scoots like the Majesty 400 and SilverWing have its place but they can be a real handful in many situations. Also the economy goes down on these models.
I am about to head out and start my days worth of errands. However by coincidence and timing I ended up riding the Fly 150 over to the storage facility and swapping for my KLR650 so I can change the oil in it. This morning I am taking the KLR650 back to storage and grabbing the Fly 150 again.

When I get back home I will shoot some pictures this time using my new phone. Its really a truly beautifully styled scoot. Honestly some of the styling ques are slightly shocking (like..what were they thinking?) but then its all seems fine once you understand its Italian heritage. One things for sure you will not see this style with any Asian manufacture. Piaggio did a good job of keeping it very modern without it loosing that classic Italian style.
You think a lot like I do. You even have a collection of bikes similar to mine; Sport City, KLR, 150cc scooter......OK you have a few more scooters than me.

Most people would consider a 250 really small and lightweight but after riding a 150, it does seem pretty heavy.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:34 AM   #24
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,635
The Honda Ruckus is huge here. Also lots of Chinese scooters around for those on a budget.
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:53 PM   #25
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

i dunno, i considered the sportcity 250 really light and flickable. the sh150 was too light in my opinion; same for the pcx 150. i like a LITTLE weight to ground me!
Old 07-10-2013, 03:41 PM   #26
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

I got some photos now. This time using my phone and just uploading them directly.

I put another 20 or so miles on it running around my part of town. The engine is loosening up nicely and it feels like it is smoother and a tad more power.

I think I am going to dump the factory or dealer fill at 100 km. It seems to be a waist of time but its easy to do and cheap insurance. The dealer said they add oil during prep and they use Castrol Synthetic 5W-40. I will likely use the same stuff as its available at my nearest motorcycle shop.

Final drive same thing. I will go ahead and dump the dealer/factory fill at the same mileage and put in Red Line 75W-90. Likely won't worry again until 3,000 km and if the shop actually does it at the 1,000 km service maybe 4,000 km. Once the gears are seated the final drive oil does not really need to be changed all that often.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:50 PM   #27
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,908
Quote:
I got some photos now. This time using my phone and just uploading them directly.

I put another 20 or so miles on it running around my part of town. The engine is loosening up nicely and it feels like it is smoother and a tad more power.

I think I am going to dump the factory or dealer fill at 100 km. It seems to be a waist of time but its easy to do and cheap insurance. The dealer said they add oil during prep and they use Castrol Synthetic 5W-40. I will likely use the same stuff as its available at my nearest motorcycle shop.

Final drive same thing. I will go ahead and dump the dealer/factory fill at the same mileage and put in Red Line 75W-90. Likely won't worry again until 3,000 km and if the shop actually does it at the 1,000 km service maybe 4,000 km. Once the gears are seated the final drive oil does not really need to be changed all that often.

Nice scoot! Those are getting great reviews.

I've owned (own) several Piaggio's and personally wouldnt bother an oil change before 600 miles as specified. Why? The scooter will still be running much higher temps during the initial break-in/heat-cool cycles, and this is more detrimental to the oil than worry about unfiltered debris...(there IS a full filter after all) and your premature oil change oil will still be subjected to higher than normal temps for several hundred miles regardless. Seems a waste to me, but do what YOU feel best about. Ive most recently broke in a his-n-her fleet of BV-350 and the oil at 650+ miles was still clear if not a bit off color for heat.

Good luck, have fun!
Old 07-10-2013, 05:07 PM   #28
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogordy View Post
Nice scoot! Those are getting great reviews.

I've owned (own) several Piaggio's and personally wouldnt bother an oil change before 600 miles as specified. Why? The scooter will still be running much higher temps during the initial break-in/heat-cool cycles, and this is more detrimental to the oil than worry about unfiltered debris...(there IS a full filter after all) and your premature oil change oil will still be subjected to higher than normal temps for several hundred miles regardless. Seems a waste to me, but do what YOU feel best about. Ive most recently broke in a his-n-her fleet of BV-350 and the oil at 650+ miles was still clear if not a bit off color for heat.

Good luck, have fun!
I agree but old habits die hard!

Back in the day you would dump the factory fill within the 1st 100 miles and the oil would come out looking gray from all the machining bits still present and the initial break in. However tolerances have increased so much just in the past 10 years that the last several bikes I have changed early I felt I just wasted my time. The Piaggio Fly 150 will be no different and yeah the oil filter in theory will capture anything big enough to damage the motor anyway.

Still its pretty easy and cheap insurance and an old habit. If I get so busy and lazy in the coming days I may just wait until 600 miles but if not I will change it early just for the warm and fuzzes in my tummy.

This practice is as debatable as any oil thread. My consensus is on anything new and modern its not necessary any longer but once was. Still I do it just because I take some enjoyment doing it.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:15 PM   #29
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 5,011
That is definitely a sweet scooter. But I would not have paid that much for it. We have even higher sales tax here, but that is a 25% markup, and comes to a lot more than sales tax, title, and registration. I could most likely gotten a SYM HD200 OTD for less than that. All 3 of my scooters (Vino 125, Zuma 125, Genuine Stella 150 2 stroke) were bought for UNDER MSRP OTD, even with a doc fee, which is bogus, but they had the retail price of the scooter lowered enough to more than cover the fees. IMO, a "fee" dealer does not deserve my support, because there are quite a few dealers out there that actually sell at or below MSRP. They are the ones that are going to get my repeat business and recommendations.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:53 PM   #30
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
That is definitely a sweet scooter. But I would not have paid that much for it. We have even higher sales tax here, but that is a 25% markup, and comes to a lot more than sales tax, title, and registration. I could most likely gotten a SYM HD200 OTD for less than that. All 3 of my scooters (Vino 125, Zuma 125, Genuine Stella 150 2 stroke) were bought for UNDER MSRP OTD, even with a doc fee, which is bogus, but they had the retail price of the scooter lowered enough to more than cover the fees. IMO, a "fee" dealer does not deserve my support, because there are quite a few dealers out there that actually sell at or below MSRP. They are the ones that are going to get my repeat business and recommendations.
Jerry...give it a rest willya!?.

The dealers who sell at a loss to guys like you wont BE in business to get your repeat business. Or maybe they wont WANT your repeat business. In my 35 years of sales experience customers like you were preferred in our competitor's showrooms. Go beat-up some other poor businessman....