Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2013, 11:09 AM   #61
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 2,976
This looks like a nice option for a city bike. I really want to do a long distance scooter ride and something like this bike would be more comforting than the Aprilia.

Have you done a top speed GPS verified run yet?
brianwheelies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:28 PM   #62
longhaul747 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
This looks like a nice option for a city bike. I really want to do a long distance scooter ride and something like this bike would be more comforting than the Aprilia.

Have you done a top speed GPS verified run yet?
I stopped by and got the mirror fixed. They seem to have a tool for every occasion they were got it off and set correctly. Now the mirrors work as they should.

Really it is the perfect city bike. I find it most comparable to my Elite 110 witch I found to be my most practical scooter. However with the Fly 150 you get a bigger and faster motor. The Elite 110 is very quick and powerful for that class of scooter but like they say "No Replacement for displacement". The 150 in the Fly is more relaxed and less stressed going up hills.

I am still fairly early in the break in and I have not taken it out on a open enough road that I can firewall it. I have gotten up to just a hair over 100 km/h witch felt about 52 MPH with plenty of room to spare. I bet this thing will top out at over 60 MPH true if not maybe 70 MPH. I don't have a GPS for my motorcycle. I have been searching GPS apps for my smart phone that track all sorts of useful data that will be helpful but so far they all seem to only support one vehicle. I would like to have multiple vehicle support.

The gas gauge just moved off full at about the 40 km mark. I can tell already the gas gauge is a bit funky (typical scooter). These supposedly hold 1.8 gallons but it only took 1.1 gallons to fill up. This was when the gas gauge was below empty going down hill but would register a 1/4 tank when going up hill. It has a low fuel light witch did not come on when low. Considering it was really not all that low when I filled up maybe I can safely push it a bit and eventually see the low fuel light. Its something I will have to experiment with at a later time.

Early in my travels today I had to do a Costco run. Despite the generous storage on the Fly 150 I had to swap for my SilverWing. Its storage is nearly double in size so I can fit more stuff under the seat. I shot a picture of the 2 bikes next to one another. The Fly 150 is certainly no maxi scooter but far easier to manage around town.

longhaul747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:47 PM   #63
Dave92029
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
100km/h = 62.1371 mp/h

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul747 View Post

I am still fairly early in the break in and I have not taken it out on a open enough road that I can firewall it. I have gotten up to just a hair over 100 km/h witch felt about 52 MPH with plenty of room to spare. I bet this thing will top out at over 60 MPH true if not maybe 70 MPH.
Thanks for all the information and photos...very interesting and helpful.

If you have seen just over 100km/h then you have exceeded Piaggio's max. speed of 61 mp/h, because 100km/h = 62.1371 mp/h :

Can't wait to find out what the Fly will do when full broken in. I also mentioned this because I recall that the WA state police strictly enforce the speed limits and if memory serves me correctly some of the speed limits on the interstates in and around Seattle were 55mph & 65mph.
Looking forward to more photos and information on your white fly. Are you considering a windshield or top box?
Dave
Old 07-16-2013, 03:04 PM   #64
longhaul747 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave92029 View Post
Thanks for all the information and photos...very interesting and helpful.

If you have seen just over 100km/h then you have exceeded Piaggio's max. speed of 61 mp/h, because 100km/h = 62.1371 mp/h :

Can't wait to find out what the Fly will do when full broken in. I also mentioned this because I recall that the WA state police strictly enforce the speed limits and if memory serves me correctly some of the speed limits on the interstates in and around Seattle were 55mph & 65mph.
Looking forward to more photos and information on your white fly. Are you considering a windshield or top box?
Dave
Only thing to factor is the speedo is grossly optimistic. 100 km/h indicated is really only like 50 MPH true speed on this scoot. A GPS for this thing would be a real life saver. I will have to look into that in the future. I got one for the car and they are cool but I tend to be old fashioned when it comes to the bikes.

Compared to some states traffic enforcement is well enforced here and a ticket is expensive. I think most of the freeways are 60 MPH but we might have a few that are 55 MPH. Funny thing is most people speed like mad around here and it makes riding a scooter a bit of an experience. I get passed all the time but people don't realize you can go as fast as them.

At this time I am not considering a top box or shield but that could change. If I need more storage I just grab a different bike. I got a bike for every occasion.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:58 PM   #65
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 39,427
[modhat]Folks this isn't my usual zone, but as Paul is off I'm going to step in.

Let's try to keep this thread a bit more focused on the Piaggio Fly 150 and less on the evils of dealers.

Thank you, Jurgen [/mod hat]

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:18 PM   #66
Dave92029
Studly Adventurer

The timeout is now officially over

Ok, we all agree that we all want our local dealers to stay in business, we just don't want these dealers to make any money off of us. We are all family aren't we?

Two days is too long without any new photos or information on Fly 150 3V.

I went to my local dealer and looked at, sat on, and took some pictures. Here are two from todays visit.

I looked under the seat, and the hinge that holds the seat seems very frail. Don't want to open that on a windy day or else it might break or bend.

Anyone have a similar experience.?

Oh, I liked the Fly from the pictures, but it is so much better looking in person.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:27 PM   #67
longhaul747 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave92029 View Post
Ok, we all agree that we all want our local dealers to stay in business, we just don't want these dealers to make any money off of us. We are all family aren't we?

Two days is too long without any new photos or information on Fly 150 3V.

I went to my local dealer and looked at, sat on, and took some pictures. Here are two from todays visit.

I looked under the seat, and the hinge that holds the seat seems very frail. Don't want to open that on a windy day or else it might break or bend.

Anyone have a similar experience.?

Oh, I liked the Fly from the pictures, but it is so much better looking in person.
Sorry not much new to report. I am currently entertaining other bikes but plan to be back on the Fly 150 tomorrow!

Nice set of pictures though!

I have not noticed any issue so far with the seat hinge. It is on the flimsy side but does not seem any better or worse then some of the other Piaggio scooters and its affiliates. I get a lot of play in my Sport City 250 seat as well but its otherwise a non issue.

Dang I kind of like the Typhoon 125 parked next to it in your pictures. One of these is tickling my fancy but for some reason the dealers here don't stock it. They say they can get it but I don't think I would get much of a discount doing it that way. I can easily get the very similar SportCity 125 for about a grand less anyway.

I am actually not that serious but if they ever put the 150 3V motor in an updated Typhoon then just maybe!
Old 07-18-2013, 06:43 PM   #68
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,550
Shad makes great top cases. I have the SH33 on my Zuma 125 and love it. It is excellent quality, and gives you a major increase in carrying capacity. I put the heavy stuff under the seat, and the lighter stuff in the case.

JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:48 PM   #69
longhaul747 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Shad makes great top cases. I have the SH33 on my Zuma 125 and love it. It is excellent quality, and gives you a major increase in carrying capacity. I put the heavy stuff under the seat, and the lighter stuff in the case.

I agree Shad cases are really good. I have one on my Concours and if I get one for the Fly 150 it will be a Shad as well. I must say the Shad case on the Fly 150 looks especially sharp. I may have rethink it and get one eventually.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:40 PM   #70
longhaul747 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I am back on it now. Things will be slow going because I got so many other bikes and scooters.

I am now at 242 kilometers (150 miles) and its running even better. Tires are now fully broken in and I had a chance to take it on some rather twisty roads this morning. Handling can be considered very good in my opinion especially since this is technically not a sport scooter. The suspension seems to do a good job of providing good ride quality so bumps are not as abrupt as a lot of scooters. Its not soft but better then many in my opinion. However it seems set up well enough to provide fairly good handling even with my 220 pound self on it. They say the Italians are masters when it comes to suspension tuning and it shows on this bike.

It was a bit crisp this morning at 52F when I got started. Engine fired up without issue and does not appear to be cold blooded like my Sportcity 250 is. I noticed a minor hickup as I pulled away but after that no issue when running cold. It does feel a tad bit smoother and a bit more power in the cold but then maybe its just breaking in more.

No reading on fuel economy as I am now just a hair below a half tank. Its looking pretty good so far as I traveled 69 miles so far on this tank. However the last half goes a lot faster then the first. If I had to take a wild guess it hovering around the 80 MPG mark. It could be higher if that tank hangs on longer or worse if it drops like a brick. I just won't know until I fill up again.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:05 PM   #71
Dave92029
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul747 View Post
I agree Shad cases are really good. I have one on my Concours and if I get one for the Fly 150 it will be a Shad as well. I must say the Shad case on the Fly 150 looks especially sharp. I may have rethink it and get one eventually.
The Shad cases do look good, but I'm thinking about getting a Givi B33. I believe Givi cases may be a little better quality, and thus hold up better over time.

I also believe, but I'm not certain, that a brake light kit can be installed in the Givi, and that isn't an option with the Shad. Since the Fly has modest top speed, increasing visibility from the rear seems like a good thing to do.

Dave92029 screwed with this post 07-21-2013 at 01:19 PM
Dave92029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:53 AM   #72
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,516
Ya know, I don't think you want a top case that closes. You want one with an open top so longer objects can stick out of the top. A milk crate, preferably stolen from the local supermarket and zip-tied to the scooter, is actually the perfect top case.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:36 AM   #73
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 652
finally got to see one of these. really a good lookin' modern scoot! wish the dealer would let folks test ride one...
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:18 AM   #74
longhaul747 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Ya know, I don't think you want a top case that closes. You want one with an open top so longer objects can stick out of the top. A milk crate, preferably stolen from the local supermarket and zip-tied to the scooter, is actually the perfect top case.
Somehow I don't think this will do the nice lines on the Fly 150 any good. Highly functional YES but it would look pretty odd. Of coarse who said function always follows beauty!

Quote:
finally got to see one of these. really a good lookin' modern scoot! wish the dealer would let folks test ride one...
That is interesting I got to test ride mine before I bought it. Maybe its in short supply now and they are getting a lot of inquiries on it so they don't want to tarnish one up by letting people test ride it?

Really digging this scoot. Just something about the style and how it runs that offers a lot of entertainment value. I now get on my Japanese brand scoots and they now feel boring.

BTW, I am officially insane

I am in the market for one more scoot. Something not that expensive but something that I can beat on and not care about in the winter. I have other motorcycles for that purpose but I want better fuel economy a scooter provides and shifting seems so old school. Not much out of Asia tickles my fancy however the Kymco Agility 125 is certainly affordable. I am still thinking Italian here and I like the looks of the Typhoon 125. It would be cool if they had a Typhoon 150 with the new 3V but even if its happening we are probably at least 12 months away and its likely doubtful because of the Typhoon's budget status. Even more so the Typhoon is sold in a lot of different countries where anything above 125cc's has more tax and requires higher levels of licensing requirements. So from a global perspective the 125 makes the most sense. I doubt that will change just for the USA market. You never know but doubtful.

Problem is my nearest dealer does not stock any Typhoon but the 50's. So I need to see if they can get it? The Dealer down south has them even for a good price but what a PITA.

Another and easy option to go for an Aprilia SportCity 125. A dealer very close to me is blowing them out for $1,990 and its much the same scooter. Same frame and engine but different body work. More street and sport oriented then trail and rugged style. I still prefer the Typhoon 125 even if it ends up costing more but if its impossible to get then I may have to rethink my thoughts. This is still mostly a want item and not a need and from a financial point of view I would never be able to recover the cost involved even if it gets 80 MPG. However I enjoy it and that is all that really matters.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:50 AM   #75
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 2,976
Please get the Typhoon and report back! I have wanted to get one ever since first awareness and was even in negotiations to buy one but the owner was too greedy to sell a bike they won for free.

I could go trade my SR in on one right now but that thing is a blast and gets huge mileage and never requires a valve adjust.

If the Typhoon really had offroad ability, what a great ride it can be.

The engine is proven and can be missed to over 150cc I believe.
brianwheelies is online now   Reply With Quote