Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 11:24 AM   #76
longhaul747 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
Please get the Typhoon and report back! I have wanted to get one ever since first awareness and was even in negotiations to buy one but the owner was too greedy to sell a bike they won for free.

I could go trade my SR in on one right now but that thing is a blast and gets huge mileage and never requires a valve adjust.

If the Typhoon really had offroad ability, what a great ride it can be.

The engine is proven and can be missed to over 150cc I believe.
Yeah I believe they sell head kits for the Leader engines that can take them out to almost 200cc's and possibly increase reliability on an already reliable engine assuming the work was done right.

Mods like this usually don't tickle my fancy until they start burning oil or causing other problems. My KLR650 may get a 685 or 705 kit when it starts consuming massive amounts of oil. So far at 10K miles it does not consume a drop but at some point on these motors they start to drink a ton of oil. Like 1 quart every few hundred miles or worse. When mine gets near that bad I will do the head kit on it.

I just got back from the dealer. They said its not difficult to get one in. They can either do a trade with the dealer down south or they can order one up from Piaggio. Its possible to very likely Piaggio still has some 2012's available. If they can get the 2012 I requested the Titanium color. I guess the little kid in me likes the look of this scheme. If no 2012 is available I requested a White 2013.

The dealer down south has a 2012 Titanium in stock and for a fairly good price. They can have this one in a day or two once the deal moves forward. If they have to get one from Piaggio it will take about a week.

They did say that its slightly possible that Piaggio is out of them but doubtful. Last they heard Piaggio was looking to find homes for what they had. Witch makes me wonder if at some point these will get dumped on dealers to be sold for a heavy discount like all the 2009 SportCity 125's?

The Titanium is so cool and ready for the upcoming Zombie Apocalypse

As for real off road capabilities its really not that capable. However according to my dealer they have a few customers that actually use and abuse them doing off road and they actually hold up pretty well. Its not stressed for it but the key is slow and easy. To be honest most dirt roads and mild off road work is no worse then many typical roads. Just hit a pot hole at 30 MPH on a scooter. That is serious stress on them. I have hit some nasty pot holes in my time on a scooter and felt the frame flex beyond belief. Enough that when I got home I had to do an inspection making sure everything is still fine. No bent wheels or cracked frames etc!

Budgets for road work has been slashed here. So many roads especially in smaller local cities are getting super bad. Interestingly the good roads in the good parts of town still get repaired and replaced regularly..Go Figure!
longhaul747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:38 PM   #77
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,367
One of my biggest concerns with taking scooters off road is water crossings. Getting water in the CVT would likely cause the belt to slip. Getting dirty water in the CVT would be even worse.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:47 PM   #78
longhaul747 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
One of my biggest concerns with taking scooters off road is water crossings. Getting water in the CVT would likely cause the belt to slip. Getting dirty water in the CVT would be even worse.

Yeah I agree water would be the biggest issue. Final drives at least one that has a good seal is fairly water resistant I don't believe they were ever intended to be completely submerged. Any water is bad but dirty water would fowl up a lot of expensive parts in a hurry. That is assuming you get the scoot out from your adventure from the slipping belt in the first place.

I think for the most part though other then deep water crossings a scooter (and any scooter not just the off road looking verity) is surprisingly capable off road as long as you don't go fast and do jumps.

Back in the mid 80's I remember renting a Honda Spree 50 in Hawaii when I was living there for a month taking care of my parents condo. I think back then it was like $100 a month or something cheap like that. They made a big deal about not taking it off road or on the beach or we would have to buy the scooter if we did. Don't do it and they would know if we did. Well, we did both anyway. All we did is take it slow and easy and it did not miss a beat. Washed it a few days before returning and we did not get caught.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:09 PM   #79
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul747 View Post
Yeah I agree water would be the biggest issue. Final drives at least one that has a good seal is fairly water resistant I don't believe they were ever intended to be completely submerged. Any water is bad but dirty water would fowl up a lot of expensive parts in a hurry. That is assuming you get the scoot out from your adventure from the slipping belt in the first place.

I think for the most part though other then deep water crossings a scooter (and any scooter not just the off road looking verity) is surprisingly capable off road as long as you don't go fast and do jumps.

Back in the mid 80's I remember renting a Honda Spree 50 in Hawaii when I was living there for a month taking care of my parents condo. I think back then it was like $100 a month or something cheap like that. They made a big deal about not taking it off road or on the beach or we would have to buy the scooter if we did. Don't do it and they would know if we did. Well, we did both anyway. All we did is take it slow and easy and it did not miss a beat. Washed it a few days before returning and we did not get caught.
One big advantage of smaller scooters is that they are so light and maneuverable that you can take them down a dirt road without too much fear of getting stuck. You can easily get turned around if the going gets too tough.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:40 PM   #80
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,405
The Typhoon is a nice looking scooter, but I think I like my Zuma 125 better. And I got it for several hundred $$$ less out the door than you would ever get a Typhoon around here. While both LOOK off road capable, I have no intention of trying to find out. I hope my Zuma 125 lasts the rest of my riding life. I have it all set up for touring, and am just waiting for things to cool down a bit.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #81
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 623
Quote:
Somehow I don't think this will do the nice lines on the Fly 150 any good. Highly functional YES but it would look pretty odd. Of coarse who said function always follows beauty!

That is interesting I got to test ride mine before I bought it. Maybe its in short supply now and they are getting a lot of inquiries on it so they don't want to tarnish one up by letting people test ride it?

Really digging this scoot. Just something about the style and how it runs that offers a lot of entertainment value. I now get on my Japanese brand scoots and they now feel boring.

BTW, I am officially insane

I am in the market for one more scoot. Something not that expensive but something that I can beat on and not care about in the winter. I have other motorcycles for that purpose but I want better fuel economy a scooter provides and shifting seems so old school. Not much out of Asia tickles my fancy however the Kymco Agility 125 is certainly affordable. I am still thinking Italian here and I like the looks of the Typhoon 125. It would be cool if they had a Typhoon 150 with the new 3V but even if its happening we are probably at least 12 months away and its likely doubtful because of the Typhoon's budget status. Even more so the Typhoon is sold in a lot of different countries where anything above 125cc's has more tax and requires higher levels of licensing requirements. So from a global perspective the 125 makes the most sense. I doubt that will change just for the USA market. You never know but doubtful.

Problem is my nearest dealer does not stock any Typhoon but the 50's. So I need to see if they can get it? The Dealer down south has them even for a good price but what a PITA.

Another and easy option to go for an Aprilia SportCity 125. A dealer very close to me is blowing them out for $1,990 and its much the same scooter. Same frame and engine but different body work. More street and sport oriented then trail and rugged style. I still prefer the Typhoon 125 even if it ends up costing more but if its impossible to get then I may have to rethink my thoughts. This is still mostly a want item and not a need and from a financial point of view I would never be able to recover the cost involved even if it gets 80 MPG. However I enjoy it and that is all that really matters.
they know i'm not lookin' to buy. :'( plus it was the first day they had them in when i asked...

did get to ride a ducati diavel (the dark edition) at ducati of bellevue, though! however, that is NOT a purchase i could get wifely approval on at this time... :-(
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:19 PM   #82
longhaul747 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I ordered the Typhoon 125. Its coming direct from Piaggio so it will take a week just to get here and depending on my schedule another day or so to get it.

I went with the 2012 Titanium as I like the color scheme. Its kind of cool but hopefully I will not grow tired of the military graphics. I am pretty sure its just stickers that can easily be pealed off.

Since its 2012 I got a small discount plus fees cut in half. I won't disclose the final price since I don't want another debate. I probably payed to much but I don't care because every scooter I have purchased pretty much payed for itself.

Back to the Fly 150 I am back on it tomorrow. I hope to burn through the tank and fill it up but if not then I should get an MPG figure in a few days. I cracked 100 MPG on my PCX this last tank. Must be the summer fuel blends combined with the warmer weather that does it. Maybe the 80W-90 Gear oil is thinner during the summer... I don't know but hopefully the Fly 150 can match or beat it. I kind of doubt it being air cooled but who knows!
Old 07-24-2013, 05:22 AM   #83
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,855
Quote:
I ordered the Typhoon 125. Its coming direct from Piaggio so it will take a week just to get here and depending on my schedule another day or so to get it.

I went with the 2012 Titanium as I like the color scheme. Its kind of cool but hopefully I will not grow tired of the military graphics. I am pretty sure its just stickers that can easily be pealed off.

Since its 2012 I got a small discount plus fees cut in half. I won't disclose the final price since I don't want another debate. I probably payed to much but I don't care because every scooter I have purchased pretty much payed for itself.

Back to the Fly 150 I am back on it tomorrow. I hope to burn through the tank and fill it up but if not then I should get an MPG figure in a few days. I cracked 100 MPG on my PCX this last tank. Must be the summer fuel blends combined with the warmer weather that does it. Maybe the 80W-90 Gear oil is thinner during the summer... I don't know but hopefully the Fly 150 can match or beat it. I kind of doubt it being air cooled but who knows!

Easy on the wrist twist and 100 mpg should be a slam dunk.

I can get better'n 70 mpg on by BV350 at 390 lbs (dry/unladen wt) so, yeah you can do this on that 150 Fly.

Air cooled? Is there a fuel economy penalty to be paid I never heard of?
Old 07-24-2013, 06:24 AM   #84
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogordy View Post
Easy on the wrist twist and 100 mpg should be a slam dunk.

I can get better'n 70 mpg on by BV350 at 390 lbs (dry/unladen wt) so, yeah you can do this on that 150 Fly.

Air cooled? Is there a fuel economy penalty to be paid I never heard of?
Air cooled engines are typically less efficient than comparable water cooled engines.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:56 AM   #85
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Air cooled engines are typically less efficient than comparable water cooled engines.
I didnt think that applied to those which were EFI....can you explain why they are less efficient?

I would think spinning a water pump and circulating a quantity of liquid takes more parasitic power than spinning a fan.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:23 AM   #86
longhaul747 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah supposedly in theory air cooled engines are less efficient. They are built with less tolerances and suffer from greater thermal expansion from temperature changes during operation. Because of this they typically put out less power so it takes more wrist to get the desired results in performance so it takes more fuel. Everything kind of snow balls with air cooled engines. They also tend to not last as long.

Also air cooled engines for the same reasons above tend to not burn as clean as its water cooled counterparts. The reason is water cooled engines can pretty much run at the same constant temperature. For the longest time air cooled engines were being phased out because it was very difficult to have them meet current emissions standards. However lately they have made a come back and meet the latest and very strict standards. So perhaps modern technology has managed to get most of the gremlins associated with air cooled motors out of the way? I think to some degree they have. At least on the emissions side.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:25 AM   #87
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogordy View Post
I didnt think that applied to those which were EFI....can you explain why they are less efficient?

I would think spinning a water pump and circulating a quantity of liquid takes more parasitic power than spinning a fan.
Air cooled engines are typically mapped a bit richer. The fuel can be used for cooling. Additionally, they don't always reach operating temp in cooler temperatures, which also requires a richer mixture.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:53 PM   #88
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for the replies

I did a little research, youre both right AND I discovered that air is many times less efficient at sloughing-off heat than liquid is, meaning it requires a magnitude of several times MORE air to cool the same amount as it does liquid so same for same cooling air v. liquid is...less efficient. Meaning more parasitic power draining.

Soooo, I've certainly learned something* today, thanks to you both AND the frikkin internet too.

(*I hate when that happens....thought I knew it all! Dammitanyway. I'm gonna go home and kick the cat)
Old 07-24-2013, 02:05 PM   #89
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,268
Liquid cooled scooters can run higher compression and more ignition advance than air cooled. Thats usually where the higher power comes from.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:21 PM   #90
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,335
i like the new Fly immensely. congrats on the purchase. and a Typhoon coming as well? another scooter i like a lot. why can't i have neighbors like you? or family members? dammit

but that Fly 150? i think Piaggio got the styling right, and the storage is nice. its the scooter i would want if in the market for a 150 today

i'm gonna beat me a dead horse, now

i think you got a fair deal. here in Cali we have near 10% sales tax, DMV fees, and a dealer cheery on top for prep and destination / delivery. $3500otd would be right square imo, and buyer favorable. so what the hell? a few hundred more for a scooter that will have good resale after your done with it? thats a win imo

i want your scooter!!!