Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2013, 08:52 PM   #91
longhaul747 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
i like the new Fly immensely. congrats on the purchase. and a Typhoon coming as well? another scooter i like a lot. why can't i have neighbors like you? or family members? dammit

but that Fly 150? i think Piaggio got the styling right, and the storage is nice. its the scooter i would want if in the market for a 150 today

i'm gonna beat me a dead horse, now

i think you got a fair deal. here in Cali we have near 10% sales tax, DMV fees, and a dealer cheery on top for prep and destination / delivery. $3500otd would be right square imo, and buyer favorable. so what the hell? a few hundred more for a scooter that will have good resale after your done with it? thats a win imo

i want your scooter!!!
The Typhoon is on the way. Its coming from Piaggio and its expected to be in early next week. Really looking forward to playing on the Typhoon however it may end up being fall winter before I really put it to the test as its meant to be beat on during the winter weather.

I have a feeling the Typhoon will end up being a bit of a disappointment both in function and fit and finish when compared to the Fly 150. So with that in mind its probably best not to compare them but I probably will anyway.

When I was checking out this class of scooter I was also looking at the Kymco Agility 125. The Kymco is a really nice well made scooter and the OTD price is just insane. My dealer says $2,200 out the door and I heard you can do better then that in some markets. Really its a lot of scooter for the money. I almost went for the Kymco Agility 125 but I found it very cramped at least compared to the Typhoon 50 (same as the 125 except displacement and a few other minor details) they had on the floor. It can probably be made to work but I felt more comfortable on the Typhoon. Also the Typhoon has better fit and finish. However I bet the Kymco has better overall reliability at least in the long run. Not that the Typhoon is bad but I bet the Kymco will give a little less trouble in the long run. Old School Italian stereotype at work here!

Overall I think the Kymco Agility 125 is a great scooter and perhaps the best bargain out there. However I think I prefer the Typhoon for style and overall comfort though. Plus the Italian THANG!

Knowing my buying habits and the price of entry for the Kymco Agility 125 its likely I will own one at some point in the future but probably not for a while. I have over done it a little bit this year.

The Fly 150 really is pretty sweet. Did some stuff today and I am now on a quarter tank. I think the MPG is going to be very good. Not record breaking good and probably not what I get on my PCX good but still pretty good.
longhaul747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:09 PM   #92
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul747 View Post
The Typhoon is on the way. Its coming from Piaggio and its expected to be in early next week. Really looking forward to playing on the Typhoon however it may end up being fall winter before I really put it to the test as its meant to be beat on during the winter weather.

I have a feeling the Typhoon will end up being a bit of a disappointment both in function and fit and finish when compared to the Fly 150. So with that in mind its probably best not to compare them but I probably will anyway.

When I was checking out this class of scooter I was also looking at the Kymco Agility 125. The Kymco is a really nice well made scooter and the OTD price is just insane. My dealer says $2,200 out the door and I heard you can do better then that in some markets. Really its a lot of scooter for the money. I almost went for the Kymco Agility 125 but I found it very cramped at least compared to the Typhoon 50 (same as the 125 except displacement and a few other minor details) they had on the floor. It can probably be made to work but I felt more comfortable on the Typhoon. Also the Typhoon has better fit and finish. However I bet the Kymco has better overall reliability at least in the long run. Not that the Typhoon is bad but I bet the Kymco will give a little less trouble in the long run. Old School Italian stereotype at work here!
My dealer, who shall remain nameless, in unabashed conversation with me about the new Fly and the Typhoon, said very much the same thing. Calling the new Fly "World Class" and wondering out loud how he'd sell his Typhoon allocation with the Fly there, and having a very definite opinion on both.

"Price!" He will discount the Typhoons while standing tall on his Fly pricing.

I sold Kymco scooters for a few years and yes theyre good, but I think this new Fly is going to give Genuine, and Kymco headaches.

Knowing what I know however, Id never buy an Agility 125 for myself, but have owned Buddys and ET-4 Vespas.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:59 AM   #93
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,286
I'd really like to see a comprehensive comparison test between the Fly, Movie 150 and PCX. Unfortunately the major cycle magazines are too preoccupied with 180 HP sportbikes and 700+ LB cruisers to spend more than a half a page on a small scooter so I doubt we'll ever see that.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:23 AM   #94
longhaul747 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogordy View Post
My dealer, who shall remain nameless, in unabashed conversation with me about the new Fly and the Typhoon, said very much the same thing. Calling the new Fly "World Class" and wondering out loud how he'd sell his Typhoon allocation with the Fly there, and having a very definite opinion on both.

"Price!" He will discount the Typhoons while standing tall on his Fly pricing.

I sold Kymco scooters for a few years and yes theyre good, but I think this new Fly is going to give Genuine, and Kymco headaches.

Knowing what I know however, Id never buy an Agility 125 for myself, but have owned Buddys and ET-4 Vespas.
Its interesting even though my dealer sells Kymco's they don't seem to push them. As I was comparing the Agility 125 to the Typhoon they pretty much insisted that I don't want the Kymco. Even though the Kymco's are all marked down and likely have better margins they still don't push them. Even a few years ago when I stopped by to see if they had The Kymco GT300i in stock they immediately steered me towards the BV300 or BV500.

I asked them if anything is wrong with the Kymco's. They said No they are great scooters you just don't want one. They also sell Genuine and Vespa in addition to Stella and Piaggio plus Zero bikes. Most of the floor space is dedicated to Vespa and Piaggio and then Stella and Genuine get the other side of the store. The Kymco's are tucked in the back along with the Zero's and they don't carry all of the Kymco line.

I asked if they will be getting the new My Road 700i and they said No. You don't want it. I asked if they are getting rid of Kymco and they said no no we are not. We just carry 3 or 4 of the most popular ones.

Maybe they are pro Italian I don't know but they don't seem all that interested in selling the Kymco's even if that is what you want.

My dealer only carries the Typhoon 50's in stock but the 125 is otherwise the same except for engine displacement and other minor details. I think the 50 actually has larger (13 or 14 inch I think) and nicer looking wheels but comes with street tires. The 125 comes with 12 inch wheels and dual sport scooter tires.

Comparing the Typhoon 50 to the Agility 125 next to it was rather night and day. Fit and finish on the Typhoon 50 was much better and less cheap looking details. Body panels fit together much better on the Typhoon 50 compared to the Kymco and they don't have that cheap feel. About the only thing that feels cheap on the Typhoon 50 is the switch gear. However this is something noticed on other Piaggio's and even the new Fly 150 has cheap switch gear.

However for the record the Typhoon 125 is easily $1,000 more out the door then what you can get a Agility 125 for. So they are really not direct comparisons. I still consider the Agility 125 a tremendous bargain and none of the cost cutting evident is considered a serious issue. Its just obvious that it is built to a certain price point. Also this is just my opinion but it seems likely the Typhoon 125 has a lot more entertainment value. The style is awesome!

I really wish we would get more coverage on scooters. They have gotten better then in the past as I now see some scooter reviews. However its still not to the depth I would like to see. I guess its just a reflection of the scooter market here. Its so small its not worth the time to cover them.

Here is a fairly good 125cc comparison review of the PCX vs Zuma vs Typhoon review on Motorcycle.com. Hopefully they have more comparisons like this!

http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs...20.html?page=1
Old 07-25-2013, 09:42 AM   #95
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 598
they're big fans of piaggio and genuine there, which i am fine with. i don't like kymco scooters much, either, for irrational reasons -- i feel they look cheap and don't have any real identity. (also the badging and instrumentation uses awful colors, gradient ramps, and fonts. EW.) even though i know they're quality, they just don't look it, and for me, getting the best bang for my buck isn't anything other than a second-tier consideration. (sorry, jerryh!)
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:46 AM   #96
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

the biggest wtf fit-and-finish element on the bv 350 is the signal switch. how could they get everything else right and neglect something as small yet significant as that?

quasigentrified screwed with this post 07-25-2013 at 11:25 AM
Old 07-25-2013, 09:55 AM   #97
longhaul747 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasigentrified View Post
the biggest wtf fit-and-finish element on the bv 350 is the signal switch. how could they get everthing else right and neglect something as small yet significant as that?
Yeah its cheap on the Fly 150 as well. Especially the kill switch...Ultra cheap!

Looking cheap is fine as long as it does not actually break. So far so good but when you use them and feel the play in the switch its not confidence inspiring at all.

One odd comment I would like to add about the Typhoon vs Agility. Even though the Typhoon has better looking materials and better fit and finish I actually get the impression that at the end of the day the Agility would hold together better. Especially after a days worth of off road work. The Agility is a very basic but highly functional. The plastics may be cheap looking but I bet they actually hold up pretty well.

I still prefer the Typhoon for the style but you really can't go wrong with an Agility 125. Especially for the price!
Old 07-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #98
longhaul747 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I got an estimated MPG based on very unscientific evidence. I putted around town some more and the fuel gauged dropped from 1/4 to 1/8th of a tank. Just a hair above empty now. I want to push it a bit further to see if the low fuel light comes on. Last time I filled up on empty it took 1.1 gallons so I assume I if I filled up right now it would be about 0.9 gallons. I have traveled 83.7 miles or 134.7 kilometers. This is coming up as 93 MPG. Its either going to be a hair better or worse.

I think I can easily ride another 20 miles easy before I need to worry about fuel and match the same fuel up volume as before. Like most scooters the fuel gauge is not the best. Go up a hill and you are slightly below empty. Going down a hill its at 1/4 of a tank. On flat ground its 1/8th of a tank or just a hair above empty. Last fill up on empty took 1.1 gallons so in theory on empty it still has a half gallon left if the rated capacity is correct.

I think 93 MPG is going to end up being pretty close. If it is I think that is a pretty solid number. Especially for a scooter that is not even fully broken in yet. It may not be class leading but far better then what Piaggio has pulled off in the past. Riding conditions were mostly urban suburb type. Always moving usually but lots of traffic lights and stop signs...etc! I did get stuck at a few long lights though witch eats fuel economy. Under ideal conditions I think this thing could get 100 MPG rather easily but those conditions are pretty tough in the real world.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #99
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasigentrified View Post
.... getting the best bang for my buck isn't anything other than a second-tier consideration. (sorry, jerryh!)
Haha, you made me laugh with this!
Old 07-25-2013, 04:51 PM   #100
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul747 View Post
Yeah its cheap on the Fly 150 as well. Especially the kill switch...Ultra cheap!

Looking cheap is fine as long as it does not actually break. So far so good but when you use them and feel the play in the switch its not confidence inspiring at all.

One odd comment I would like to add about the Typhoon vs Agility. Even though the Typhoon has better looking materials and better fit and finish I actually get the impression that at the end of the day the Agility would hold together better. Especially after a days worth of off road work. The Agility is a very basic but highly functional. The plastics may be cheap looking but I bet they actually hold up pretty well.

I still prefer the Typhoon for the style but you really can't go wrong with an Agility 125. Especially for the price!
you just gotta do a bit of "this and that" to the Agility to get it looking decent

use good stuff on the black trim to keep it that way, and blacker

use good spray polish on its panels to keep 'em clean and bright

but a few stickers here and there

remove the cheesy graphics on the outer leg shield

use a cover in the sun or park out of sunlight

i have a 3 year old Agility with 17,000 miles on it and it is rode HARD in greater Los Angeles. nothing has broken or fallen off or failed, period. and i beat the hell out of it and neglect it with glee, WOT from every stop. most people who see it like it and think its cool looking

its red, if that matters

just FYI, Kymco party poopers

DudeClone screwed with this post 07-25-2013 at 06:18 PM
DudeClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:44 PM   #101
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,331
I have never owned or even ridden a Kymco. But their reputation is second to none. I would have no problem getting one, and in fact if I went scooter shopping right now, that is probably what I would wind up with, because they are the best value for the money. No matter what they may look like, their reliability and quality are well known, and except for certain things (and scooters are not one of them) brand name means nothing to me (But to me, Kymco IS a brand name) I just want the best scooter I can get for the least money, that will do what I need it to do. Sounds simple enough to me.

I wonder why that dealer even carries Kymco if they don't want to sell them?
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:49 PM   #102
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post

largely to provide a reliable, lower cost alternative to piaggio and genuine, and to have some more modern styled scoots on the floor. however, they're HUGE old school scoot aficionadoes there with ties to a lot of the seattle clubs, so it makes a sort of cultural sense that they'd have a big preference for vespae and stellae, as it were.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:30 PM   #103
longhaul747 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I have never owned or even ridden a Kymco. But their reputation is second to none. I would have no problem getting one, and in fact if I went scooter shopping right now, that is probably what I would wind up with, because they are the best value for the money. No matter what they may look like, their reliability and quality are well known, and except for certain things (and scooters are not one of them) brand name means nothing to me (But to me, Kymco IS a brand name) I just want the best scooter I can get for the least money, that will do what I need it to do. Sounds simple enough to me.

One thing I really like about Kymco is the diverse product line. They got a little of something for everyone and now they are entering into the maxi scooter scene in a big way with the new My Road 700. Just a few years ago they had some pretty funky looking scooters on the market. Some honestly made me want to toss my cookies and on some of them the quality looked pretty sketch as well. However some of the latest designs actually do look pretty good and modern plus well assembled.

I also think Kymco deserves a lot of credit for entering the USA market at full force. They don't have the dealer network that Honda and the other Japanese brands have but they are far bigger then most of the others. I think they would be a pretty safe buy now days in regards to support.

I still think they lack entertainment value. You just can't beat the Italians when it comes to that. In fact a lot of the stuff out of Asia is so refined and well engineered they end up being a tad on the boring side. I really notice it when I ride my SportCity 250 around and the new Fly 150 an then hop on one of my Honda or Yamaha scoots. I used to not care or notice that sort of thing but once you tried Italian its hard to go back. I think this is why the dealer I deal with does not push the Kymco's.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:08 PM   #104
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,286
I have a Kymco Super 8 150 and a Sport City 250. The SC is more refined, better fit and finish, faster and more capable but the it's the Kymco that I ride almost every day. It's just more fun to ride around town

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:38 PM   #105
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post

its red, if that matters
It does. Good choice. Do scooters even come in other colors?