Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2013, 10:29 PM   #106
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogordy View Post
It does. Good choice. Do scooters even come in other colors?
yes, sometimes the come in candy red, or cherry

Damasovi
Old 07-27-2013, 01:05 PM   #107
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 547
I did some running around this morning and I filled it up. One thing I noticed this time around is the fuel gauge is rather quick to reach 1/10th of a tank and then it stays there for the longest time. I must have ridden 25 miles and the gauge did not move off that 1/10th mark. I have a feeling empty is actually the little peg stopper for the gas gauge another 1/4 inch down from E. I filled up taking 1.2 gallons and capacity is 1.8 gallons. So a good amount of fuel still remaining in the tank. The low fuel light still has not come on witch is a bit interesting. Considering the amount still left in the tank I am pretty sure if I were to push it a bit more eventually it will come on. Probably will when the gauge moves to the "E" mark and this is a good time to get fuel.

Anyways it took 1.237 gallons and I traveled 166.2 kilometers. This equals 103.27 miles. So this works out to 83.48 MPG. I was hoping for a bit more but then I am one of those always a bit more type of people. I think its pretty respectable especially for a Piaggio. I also expect it to improve slightly as time goes on.

Overall really impressed with the scooter. It runs so smooth and quiet and its surprisingly quick. This one you have to be careful because this scooter tends to drift high in speed and not the usual drift low in speed like so many others. I have caught myself going 10 over numerous times now. Usually I end up drifting a tad slow on most of my scooters.

Also it has a very interesting power band. Acceleration is not the best in the 0-35 MPH range but then it really wants to take off above 35 or 40. I have not done an all out high speed run but it sure can hit 100km/h in a hurry.

Brakes work well. I have had a few situations where I had to really hit it. The bike stops fast and straight with out any tendencies for early lock up. Of coarse this is on dry roads. They work good enough that caution may be needed on wet roads but then what bike does not? Anything without ABS.

No further fit and finish issues. Its not up to Honda standards but not far off. Its really a pretty well made scoot and its charicter and style more then make up for it. Impressive engine as well!

I think this scoot deserves "Scooter of the Year" if such a thing exist!
longhaul747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:53 PM   #108
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
sounds like a good experience so far

and the fuel gauge issue? wouldn't be a scooter without one of those
Old 07-27-2013, 06:47 PM   #109
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 681
nice report!
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:53 PM   #110
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul747 View Post
One thing I really like about Kymco is the diverse product line. They got a little of something for everyone and now they are entering into the maxi scooter scene in a big way with the new My Road 700. Just a few years ago they had some pretty funky looking scooters on the market. Some honestly made me want to toss my cookies and on some of them the quality looked pretty sketch as well. However some of the latest designs actually do look pretty good and modern plus well assembled.

I also think Kymco deserves a lot of credit for entering the USA market at full force. They don't have the dealer network that Honda and the other Japanese brands have but they are far bigger then most of the others. I think they would be a pretty safe buy now days in regards to support.

I still think they lack entertainment value. You just can't beat the Italians when it comes to that. In fact a lot of the stuff out of Asia is so refined and well engineered they end up being a tad on the boring side. I really notice it when I ride my SportCity 250 around and the new Fly 150 an then hop on one of my Honda or Yamaha scoots. I used to not care or notice that sort of thing but once you tried Italian its hard to go back. I think this is why the dealer I deal with does not push the Kymco's.
I certainly can't argue with the over refined part. I find that with most modern bikes. They have no character, no personality. They are microwave ovens on wheels. Pure transportation appliances. Harley, Enfield, and Ural are exceptions, but none of them make scooters. The Genuine Stella was the only new scooter I could find that had enough character for me, and it keeps breaking down. I just now today got it running again after waiting over a month for parts.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:12 AM   #111
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I certainly can't argue with the over refined part. I find that with most modern bikes. They have no character, no personality. They are microwave ovens on wheels. Pure transportation appliances. Harley, Enfield, and Ural are exceptions, but none of them make scooters. The Genuine Stella was the only new scooter I could find that had enough character for me, and it keeps breaking down. I just now today got it running again after waiting over a month for parts.
Character, like beauty, is in the eyes of the beholder. All of the bikes I have owned have had plenty of character including my Kymco scooter.

I have ridden some bikes I thought lacked character but I didn't buy them.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:19 AM   #112
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
the fuel gauge issue? wouldn't be a scooter without one of those
Haha, aint that the truth!
Old 08-14-2013, 07:30 AM   #113
Nevada
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
... Our plumber came out to replace it. Toilet was $900 (industrial type) witch was not a big deal but the guy charged us another $1200 to put it in. It only took him 30 minutes to do. We also had a kettle go on our popcorn machine. A replacement was over $4,000 and its just a hunk of round metal. The excuse I got was they assume we make a lot of money on popcorn. ...
On the plumber, it sounds like it's time to get a new plumber. While the overhead for businesses have a LOT of "hidden" costs, i.e., costs beyond labor, product and rent, that one is simply ridiculous. On the popcorn kettle, it's more than "just a hunk of round metal." It's a hunk of food grade stainless steel, precisely formed using some expensive equipment, and likely made in small quantities then carried in stock for some time. My mother owned a food service equipment repair and service company, and the margins in that business weren't anything to write home about either.

Quote:
Most businesses now days are just trying to survive let alone make an extra buck. A few bright bulbs out there and its assumed that the ones that are bright cheat the system but any honestly run business is having a struggle right now. Things are improving but a lot of is government fluff and not everyone is seeing it. Things are tough out there!
Truer words have never been spoken here, except perhaps "Hondas rule, Harleys drool!"
Nevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:37 AM   #114
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada View Post
On the plumber, it sounds like it's time to get a new plumber. While the overhead for businesses have a LOT of "hidden" costs, i.e., costs beyond labor, product and rent, that one is simply ridiculous. On the popcorn kettle, it's more than "just a hunk of round metal." It's a hunk of food grade stainless steel, precisely formed using some expensive equipment, and likely made in small quantities then carried in stock for some time. My mother owned a food service equipment repair and service company, and the margins in that business weren't anything to write home about either.

Truer words have never been spoken here, except perhaps "Hondas rule, Harleys drool!"
We did end up getting a new plumber but the new one is not much better. I think they all get together and conspire what they will charge. I would imagine plumbers are a lot like other things and what they charge varies by region. Here in the last of Microsoft and its supporting companies plus Boeing and its unions along with our overpriced homes and everything else its no wonder plumbers charge what they charge here.

Really they are just trying to live the American dream but that is so expensive its robbing all the rest of us!

Not much new to report on the Fly 150. Witch is likely a good thing however I have not ridden it much. Just so many darn bikes!
Old 08-21-2013, 03:54 AM   #115
westie800
n00b

Oddometer: 6
fly 3v

hey mate, glad to hear that your New Fly 150 is going well!, im in the process of buying either a new Liberty 125 leader engine, or the new Fly 125 3V. What do you honestly think of the build quality? I am a bit dubious, I saw one yesterday at my local dealers and it just doesn't quite look like its got as good a finish as the Liberty etc.

I have heard a few reports of engines suddenly stopping etc on some of the euro models and its a bit worrying etc. I plan to use my new beast for commuting to work approx. 30 miles per day, as my new Triumph is going to be used just for rideouts and trips etc.

How many miles have you done now?

Kindest regards

Matty
westie800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:17 AM   #116
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by westie800 View Post
hey mate, glad to hear that your New Fly 150 is going well!, im in the process of buying either a new Liberty 125 leader engine, or the new Fly 125 3V. What do you honestly think of the build quality? I am a bit dubious, I saw one yesterday at my local dealers and it just doesn't quite look like its got as good a finish as the Liberty etc.

I have heard a few reports of engines suddenly stopping etc on some of the euro models and its a bit worrying etc. I plan to use my new beast for commuting to work approx. 30 miles per day, as my new Triumph is going to be used just for rideouts and trips etc.

How many miles have you done now?

Kindest regards

Matty
As for overall build quality I would say its pretty good. However it does not seem to match whats coming out of Japan. Nothing obviously wrong it just does not seem the quality of the materials is up to Japanese standards witch now days is pretty high and the pieces just don't fit together wit the same precision you get on Japanese bikes. I would say considering its price point its put together about as well as expected though and by no means a cheap bike.

So far my Fly has not missed a beat. Not one operating quirk other then scraping the center stand when I first got it. Fixed by shaving down the rubber bumper on the side stand.

I only have 400 km on it now witch is nothing still. So I am still early in the break in process. I have not even done a top speed run yet. Because I am still early in the break in process it amazes me every time I get on it. The 3V engine is amazingly smooth and powerful. Seems pretty economical as well but again does not match the Japanese offerings. At least not yet but things may improve after its fully broken in.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:19 AM   #117
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,181
Riddle me this-
  • What's the curb weight on the Fly (wet weight- oil & fuel),
  • How is it for two up riding
  • What is expected top speed 2 up?
Gracias!

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:14 PM   #118
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
Riddle me this-
  • What's the curb weight on the Fly (wet weight- oil & fuel),
  • How is it for two up riding
  • What is expected top speed 2 up?
Gracias!
As for actual curb weight I am not really sure. According to Piaggio it has a dry weight of 247 lbs. Its air cooled so no coolant to deal with. Fuel capacity is 1.8 gallons. At 6.2 lbs per gallon this is an extra 11 lbs give or take a few. Oil probably adds another 4 lbs give or take a few ounces. I am guessing the curb weight is about 262 lbs. Only way to find out for sure is to get it on a scale.

Only went around the block with my wife on the back. She is a tiny 5' 2" and weighs about 100 lbs. It did not seem to phase it much but it did drag the clutch slightly more when I would get going. Top speed 2 up I don't know yet.

Its not going to normally be my 2 up bike as I got others for that purpose. I would say its not an ideal 2 up bike but it can do it if needed. Handling seems a bit more mushy and unstable as well. Not dangerously but noticeable.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:14 AM   #119
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,181
Quote:
As for actual curb weight I am not really sure. According to Piaggio it has a dry weight of 247 lbs. Its air cooled so no coolant to deal with. Fuel capacity is 1.8 gallons. At 6.2 lbs per gallon this is an extra 11 lbs give or take a few. Oil probably adds another 4 lbs give or take a few ounces. I am guessing the curb weight is about 262 lbs. Only way to find out for sure is to get it on a scale.

Only went around the block with my wife on the back. She is a tiny 5' 2" and weighs about 100 lbs. It did not seem to phase it much but it did drag the clutch slightly more when I would get going. Top speed 2 up I don't know yet.

Its not going to normally be my 2 up bike as I got others for that purpose. I would say its not an ideal 2 up bike but it can do it if needed. Handling seems a bit more mushy and unstable as well. Not dangerously but noticeable.
Thanks- your numbers are pretty close to what I was assuming. The weight is a big plus, but there are a number of trade offs that in retrospect would probably not make it suitable for my purpose; Small wheels, and top speed is rated at 61mph. Very similar to the P200e i already have.....

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:08 AM   #120
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
Thanks- your numbers are pretty close to what I was assuming. The weight is a big plus, but there are a number of trade offs that in retrospect would probably not make it suitable for my purpose; Small wheels, and top speed is rated at 61mph. Very similar to the P200e i already have.....
P200E is only good for 60mph? Thought a 200cc 2 stroke manual transmission bike would do better. Hopefully there is torque and efficiency in lieu of top speed.

There have been reports on modern vespa of a much higher speed with the Fly 3v.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote