Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 05:53 AM   #1
bush pilot OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,390
276c map loading problem and NT updates

I'd been using mapsource and win XP on the macbook. I've switched to a netbook with win7 I downloaded mapsource but now it wont recognize the any devices(though mapsource does identify the flash drive on my android device), but no joy on either the 276c or the little Nuvi which I'm not trying to use now.

What I want to do is load up a new 512mb chip for the 276c with the America NT mapset when I get to the USA. I don't have access to either my old computer or the original NT disc. I'm still registered with garmin and have the 276c serial number on file and the record of map purchase. I'm just not sure about how to go about being able to use the maps and/or whether gives gives free updates.
From the website it seems garmin no longer supports the older map system.

I'm sure others like me still use the 276c and have had to switch computers along the line. Garmin stuff can be very frustrating.
Iron Butt #35784
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:50 AM   #2
khpossum
poster

Oddometer: 447
I use mapsource and my 276 on a netbook with win 7 with no problem. Iit sounds like you need to load the garmin usb drivers. Go to garmin.com or google and you will find them.

You will also have to install the maps from a cd. Call garmin if you lost it, the y MAY be able to help you, otherwise you will have to spend money on a new one
khpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:10 AM   #3
bush pilot OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yea I'll try that driver download again, I just checked the garmin site again and I can buy a map update, one time for $49.00 or lifetime for $89.00(kind of a ripoff since I already bought the maps for $90 a couple of years ago) and I can download them apparently. Though since I'm in Argentina right now they checked my connection and said it wasn't adequate for their download. I'll have to wait till I'm actually state side again I reckon.
Iron Butt #35784
Old 07-09-2013, 07:45 AM   #4
khpossum
poster

Oddometer: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by bush pilot View Post
one time for $49.00 or lifetime for $89.00(kind of a ripoff since I already bought the maps for $90 a couple of years ago) and I can download them apparently.
Does not really sound like a rip-off to me, sounds like a pretty good deal to get a new one for $49. I am not sure I know anybody else who will send you a new CD or lets you download it for free if you loose the CD.

You can try to download the new version as soon as you get to a place with semi fast Wi-Fi, but be prepared to let it run overnight. It will probably be around 2 GB.

Do you already have your 512 MB card? If not consider getting the 2 GB for not all that much more money. There is a Russian guy who sells them. Google here on Advrider.

KP

khpossum screwed with this post 07-09-2013 at 07:52 AM
khpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:07 AM   #5
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,581
Sounds like you are missing the drivers for the units. I'm running both my 376c and a Nuvii using Win7

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:00 PM   #6
bush pilot OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by khpossum View Post
Does not really sound like a rip-off to me, sounds like a pretty good deal to get a new one for $49. I am not sure I know anybody else who will send you a new CD or lets you download it for free if you loose the CD.

You can try to download the new version as soon as you get to a place with semi fast Wi-Fi, but be prepared to let it run overnight. It will probably be around 2 GB.

Do you already have your 512 MB card? If not consider getting the 2 GB for not all that much more money. There is a Russian guy who sells them. Google here on Advrider.

KP
I reckon I'll spring for the lifetime update version. I looked at the Russian chip guy but I found a 512 chip on ebay for $50.00 and I don't really need to load the entire USA all at once.
Last time I was in the USA I managed fine with a 256chip when I could had the macbook communicating with the garmin. It even worked in osx with whatever the new software was, roadtrip or something.
Keeping up with all this software is getting tedious. I may resort to android devices and google for a while.
Iron Butt #35784
Old 07-17-2013, 01:38 PM   #7
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,762
Does your new computer have USB 3.0? A friend had trouble with his 478 and had to buy a USB 2.0 hub.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:03 PM   #8
bush pilot OP
Beastly Adventurer

^interesting, yea one of my (3) usb plugs is usb 3.0. Thanks I check that out.
Iron Butt #35784