User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-12-2013, 03:53 PM   #31
DUNDERHEAD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Great sailing by NZ. Clearly they have the faster boat, noticeable on tact. They just jump out of the water.
TV coverage is amazing with all the technical info and aerial cameras. I wish they had sub-titles though, can't understand a word of Auzzie.
DUNDERHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:56 PM   #32
DUNDERHEAD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Kiwi not Auzzie
DUNDERHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:40 PM   #33
Crisis management
Latte riders FTW!

Oddometer: 1,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNDERHEAD View Post
Kiwi not Auzzie
I will provide a simple translation for you... "Larry, this is your ass, we're handing it to you".

Just pretend we are Canadian, it's a similar accent or try the TVNZ on line feed, there is good, unbiased coverage there (just a small amout of smirking at present).

Fucking awesome boats, I want a ride on one.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:10 PM   #34
Bappo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
So are vacations in kiwiland expensive?
Bappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:40 PM   #35
Oscar
Assburger

Oddometer: 16,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bappo View Post
So are vacations in kiwiland expensive?
Hell, yeah!
And the roads are crap.
No good riding here....

“Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing.”

Clive James
Oscar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:51 PM   #36
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 76,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis management View Post
Fucking awesome boats, I want a ride on one.
Tell your guys to keep them for the next series. They won't though.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:21 PM   #37
Crisis management
Latte riders FTW!

Oddometer: 1,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
Tell your guys to keep them for the next series. They won't though.
You might be surprised how much Am cup stuf is lying around here, a friend of mine has one of the 1/3rd scale "boats" built for testing for the last big monohull racing (a few years back now) it's an awesome two man race boat. We still have a couple of ex cup boats used on the harbour for terrifying tourists as well, they are great for a days sailing.

C'mon down, I have beer and a good view of the harbour......
Old 09-14-2013, 07:17 AM   #38
US4823
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
http://www.americascup.com/en/news/3...is-a-moon-shot An interesting article.
US4823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:49 AM   #39
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis management View Post
You might be surprised how much Am cup stuf is lying around here, a friend of mine has one of the 1/3rd scale "boats" built for testing for the last big monohull racing (a few years back now) it's an awesome two man race boat. We still have a couple of ex cup boats used on the harbour for terrifying tourists as well, they are great for a days sailing.

C'mon down, I have beer and a good view of the harbour......
I meant, race the current boats, or a version of them, for the next America's Cup.

How soon would the Kiwis mount a tournament?

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 09-14-2013, 03:40 PM   #40
trustme
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 948
Bloody hell , this is way too stressful. How did the guys save that, then the next race is called off for this bullshit wind limit.
I'm off to the man cave for restful repairs to the bike.
trustme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:33 PM   #41
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamala View Post
Amazing technology! I'm sure some "Traditionalists" would want the old 12 meter yachts back but the object is to go as fast as possible! I wonder if the costs went down any as the boats do look a little simpler than the old style!
Not that the 12 metre class could be called all that traditional; the Auld Mug has been contested in various classes of boat over the years, perhaps the most magnificent being the J Class. The 12 metre class was used for quite a while, but by the time it was tossed out it was well out of date, producing boats that were way slow for the time, and had become boring. Change was well overdue for what is supposed to be the pinnacle of yacht racing.

The current giant catamarans are cutting edge and exciting, getting up to speeds of well over 50 mph..... without an engine. They are capable of more than doubling the wind speed.

It is a pity that the America's Cup is apparently not attracting much interest in the defending nation, the USA. By comparison in New Zealand, the sort loving challenging nation, it has roused a lot of interest.

Perhaps it is because there are so few Americans involved in the American challenge. Oracle's captain is an Australian, they have just taken on an English tactician, and it's multinational crew includes a good few Kiwis.

The Team NZ crew does include a few who are not NZ born, but the overall from captain and crew to design and technology there is a strong NZ identity.

Nationalism is not really a trait of Kiwi's except when it comes to sport. Even then it is fickle. If a NZ team is not doing well public support soon fades, and is transferred to one that is achieving.....

With Kiwis competing at high levels in many sports there is usually one..... thankfully soccer not being among them.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:45 PM   #42
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj Mick View Post
It is a pity that the America's Cup is apparently not attracting much interest in the defending nation, the USA. By comparison in New Zealand, the sort loving challenging nation, it has roused a lot of interest.

Perhaps it is because there are so few Americans involved in the American challenge. Oracle's captain is an Australian, they have just taken on an English tactician, and it's multinational crew includes a good few Kiwis.
I think it's more because the America's Cup has been a shambles for a decade or so. Nobody even knows what it is anymore. If the US win and it's hosted in SF again, I think by then the US public would have re-learned about it and the interest would be greater.

Instead, it's going to go down to NZ and folks here will against lose track of it.

I think one thing that hurts the America's Cup is that, from what I can see, there's no set schedule. All the other major international competitions have known schedules, which allows people to anticipate.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 09-14-2013, 09:49 PM   #43
wxwax
Excited Member

I thought I'd posted this here. Saturday's near-capsize by NZ.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 09-16-2013, 03:22 AM   #44
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Quote:
I thought I'd posted this here. Saturday's near-capsize by NZ.
An exciting moment there, for sure, and one that sealed the race for Oracle.

Honours shared in the last two races (9 & 10), with the lead being exchanged several times in the last race...... which keeps things interesting, and that's a good thing. Oracle certainly seems to have upped its game. Although Team NZ has a handy buffer, the Auld Mug is far from a done deal.

Quote:
I think it's more because the America's Cup has been a shambles for a decade or so. Nobody even knows what it is anymore. If the US win and it's hosted in SF again, I think by then the US public would have re-learned about it and the interest would be greater.

Instead, it's going to go down to NZ and folks here will against lose track of it.

I think one thing that hurts the America's Cup is that, from what I can see, there's no set schedule. All the other major international competitions have known schedules, which allows people to anticipate.
How soon the next America's Cup Regatta will be depends on the Challenger of Record. Traditionally, it has been about every four years, but not necessarily so. The location and the boats used are largely down to the defender.

Quote:
I meant, race the current boats, or a version of them, for the next America's Cup.

How soon would the Kiwis mount a tournament?
I reckon NZ could mount a regatta fairly quickly if necessary. It has been done there before, and Auckland is well experienced at handling various yachting events..... with many locals well into boating and sailing, they would be will into making it a great party of it......

But now is not time to consider the possibility. It depends on the outcome of a few more boat races.

Aj Mick screwed with this post 09-16-2013 at 03:30 AM
Aj Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:10 PM   #45
wxwax
Excited Member

The US has 1 point. The Kiwis have 7. Two more wins for NZ and it's over. It's over.

I used to enjoy the America's CUp. Then it went to Spain, and then to court and the whole thing has fallen off the public radar. A speedy return to competition by New Zealand might help resuscitate it, although the remoteness of the locale might have an effect on US interest.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: