User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2013, 10:08 AM   #1
Irish John OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
TLR 200 footpegs

Anyone know what other footpegs might fit an '86 TLR 200?
I seem to remember reading in a thread someone used DR650 pegs, can't find the thread.
Irish John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:18 AM   #2
Longboardr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
B&J Racing make weld on extensions. Notice they also cut the pegs and flipped them around so they're lower and further back.

http://www.bjracing.com/tlr200.html

Longboardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:31 AM   #3
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish John View Post
Anyone know what other footpegs might fit an '86 TLR 200?
I seem to remember reading in a thread someone used DR650 pegs, can't find the thread.
I have a TLR 200, and a Z50J, and the pegs are interchangeable/bolt straight on.

You'd need to check, but I imagine aftermarket pegs for a Honda Z/XR/CRF50 would all fit, and you can get some much larger billet aluminium ones for example.

I have currently got a set of Pivot Pegz that were originally for my Yamaha XT660Z Tenere fitted to my TLR - the pivot needed trimming down slightly to fit though, and the problem with a larger cage in the stock footrest position is the kickstart is likely to hit it at the bottom of the stroke... I get round the problem by having removed the spring on the right-hand peg, and put a rubber washer in that offers enough resistance to keep the peg folded up while I start the bike...

I think something similar to what Longboardr suggests is probably the way to go though - bigger, and with a more rearward bias...

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #4
UtahGuido
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,524
Anything that will fit a KLR650 (that's a Kawasaki of course) will fit the Reflex. I swapped mine straight across. Moose Racing make some that are offset 1/4 inch to the rear that are nice.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:47 AM   #5
Irish John OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Cool! Thanks guys. The TLR Trail Bike Project continues. Up next, a larger capacity tank for same.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:45 AM   #6
UtahGuido
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Cool! Thanks guys. The TLR Trail Bike Project continues. Up next, a larger capacity tank for same.
John, if it gets 100 mpg how far do you plan to go on it? You're probably working on a better seat, hey?
Old 07-10-2013, 12:42 PM   #7
Irish John OP
Gnarly Adventurer

LOL, yes the 100mpg means I have about a 135-150 mile range in the mountains, not quite so good here on the plains of KS where I am averaging 80mpg. I carried 2, 1 liter, MSR fuel bottles on the Colorado trip. What I hope to do is take a spare tank, section it and add 2.5-3" to the height of the tank. If my measurements are right, this would increase the capacity to 2.1 gallon.

I am also playing with the external gearing. Before the last trip, I changed the counter shaft sprocket to a 14t. That seemed to work very well in most of the places I rode. Recently ordered a 15t to experiment with. I think the transmission gearing will allow this to work on steeper sections as well as give me a little more top end. I'm going back out to CO in a week so we'll see how this mod performs.

I actually had a "long ride" seat made for it. A buddy of mine restores bikes for the AMA Motorcycle Museum and he had a spare seat pan as well as access to a very talented seamstress/auto upolsterer. She made a seat which added 4.5" to the seat height. It worked pretty well, though we are working the gen 2 long ride seat. This will add 1.5-2" to the height, use much firmer seat foam and add a 2" tail to the seat, allowing me to scoot back further on the seat.

Someone asked why not just get an XR or similar. Several reasons, first I already had the TLR and trying to do this on a semi retired college prof income, cost effectiveness was a big factor. Second, TLR not only get's great gas mileage, it handles so well for my style of trail riding. Yes, it doesn't have a suspension with many inches of travel and yes it is not the most powerful engine. But, at my age, the need for speed off road has faded. I would rather go more slowly, go a long distance and see the scenery. If I feel the need for speed, I take my TL1000 or Monster out for a spin.

Lastly, I'm still playing with carb alternatives. I installed one of the Taiwan Mikuni copies and removed the restricter from the air box. It seems to breath a little better and I have noticed it runs more smoothly. I have been giving some thought to changing the exhaust by removing the factory maze of muffler and installing something lighter and more open. While I did consider one of the UK made aftermarket exhausts, I am trying to do this project as inexpensively as possible.

Irish John screwed with this post 07-10-2013 at 12:52 PM
Old 07-11-2013, 09:33 AM   #8
UtahGuido
Beastly Adventurer

Sounds cool. You'll have to post up some progress pics in one of our numerous TLR threads. And I have to agree with you - our requirements for suspension travel seem to be inversely proportional to our age, to a point.

Here's a pic of my footpegs, should you have missed it in an early post (does that make this 205?):

I hacksawed the post off the peg that the spring fits over and moved it to the other side to get maximal rearward positioning. The pegs need to be re-welded lower though. Beware of kickstarter clearance with bigger pegs; I had to bang a small dent in the right side peg so the kickstarter doesn't glance off it.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:34 AM   #9
oldyams
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahGuido View Post
Anything that will fit a KLR650 (that's a Kawasaki of course) will fit the Reflex. I swapped mine straight across. Moose Racing make some that are offset 1/4 inch to the rear that are nice.
d2moto, cheap chinese pegs for a klr650 $14.99
oldyams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:27 PM   #10
UtahGuido
Beastly Adventurer

I got mine originally from d2moto and at the time they offered the rearward offset design. Same cheap price. They are obviously from China but what I find interesting is that the ones I got have the Moose Racing logo stamped into them. The nerve!
Old 07-11-2013, 12:35 PM   #11
Monty348
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyams View Post
d2moto, cheap chinese pegs for a klr650 $14.99
I put those cheap Chineese pegs on a Reflex for a youngster to ride. They worked well until he grew up. His increase in "stature" caused both pegs to fracture, within an hour of each other, while competing! Replaced them with some steel pegs.
They might be OK for sit down riders but not for the rigors of trial competition.
Monty348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:16 PM   #12
Irish John OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahGuido View Post
Sounds cool. You'll have to post up some progress pics in one of our numerous TLR threads. And I have to agree with you - our requirements for suspension travel seem to be inversely proportional to our age, to a point.

Here's a pic of my footpegs, should you have missed it in an early post (does that make this 205?):

I hacksawed the post off the peg that the spring fits over and moved it to the other side to get maximal rearward positioning. The pegs need to be re-welded lower though. Beware of kickstarter clearance with bigger pegs; I had to bang a small dent in the right side peg so the kickstarter doesn't glance off it.
Good heads up on the kick start clearance, I'll make the mod in addition to adjusting the place where the spring mounts. What brake shoes are you running, OEM or another brand? The little drums need all the help they can get.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:44 AM   #13
UtahGuido
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Good heads up on the kick start clearance, I'll make the mod in addition to adjusting the place where the spring mounts. What brake shoes are you running, OEM or another brand? The little drums need all the help they can get.
Brake shoes are whatever came with it when I bought it. They work and squeak when it gets damp. Other than that I don't know. Maybe we could start a new thread: TLR200 Brakes (or lack thereof)!
Old 07-12-2013, 11:24 AM   #14
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Its possible to modify the front brake by fitting a cable stop to mudguard bracket, which increases leverage ratio a little, but more importantly does away with more than a foot of the outer cable.

This modification in conjunction with getting fork lift type lining material bonded to the Honda shoes, improves the brakes enormously, and is well worth doing if you need better brakes on a TLR.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:15 PM   #15
Irish John OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
Its possible to modify the front brake by fitting a cable stop to mudguard bracket, which increases leverage ratio a little, but more importantly does away with more than a foot of the outer cable.

This modification in conjunction with getting fork lift type lining material bonded to the Honda shoes, improves the brakes enormously, and is well worth doing if you need better brakes on a TLR.
Could you elaborate on these mods? Photos? Fork lift type lining? I've looked the various shoes on the market, they all seem to be about the same in terms of material.