User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2013, 10:46 AM   #1
COboy OP
b00b

Oddometer: 62
A Brotherly Tour of CO

My brother and I work together in the family business. As hard as it is to imagine, at one point a few years back, we weren't getting along very well.

Long story short, my dad sends us to see a shrink who suggests we need to spend time together being brothers since virtually all of our interactions at that time were as partners. Because of our common love of motorcycles, it was an easy pick for this prescribed yearly getaways of ours.

Our first trip, 2 years ago, was to WY and MT. Here is a pic of us picking up our rentals (1200GS and 800GS) in Jackson Hole. Me on the left, my bro on the right:

Another one of my favorite pics of that trip, at a gas station somewhere in MT:

Glacier National Park

Last year, we decided to do a tour of Colorado. This time two of our friends decided to come along. It was an absolute blast. But because we typically can only ride for 5 days, we felt like we we did not get to see a lot of this beautiful State. And the fact that we got hung up on Cinnamon Pass heading West from Lake City late at night and never made it to Telluride as we had planned added to the feeling of leaving with unfinished business.

So this year (I loved it so much I decided to move to CO), we are again doing a tour of Colorado, avoiding the places we already went through last year. This time, 3 friends are joining us. Since I am the only one that lives in the States, and the other 4 live in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (where I grew up), they will be renting GSs and I will be taking my Ducati Hyperstada.

Ducati?!? Yes, a Ducati. I even switched out my Pirelli Trails for a "real" dual sport tire (Dunlop 616):

I know, I could have put on a pair of TKC80s instead of these Dunlops but since we are only doing about 30-40% of the trip on the dirt I figured these were a good compromise. The "hardest" section will probably be Ophir Pass so I should be okay (from what I saw on utube videos).

We leave on Aug. 1st and I can't wait! I will do another post with our route and prep later...
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=902450

COboy screwed with this post 07-10-2013 at 02:02 PM
COboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:43 AM   #2
COboy OP
b00b

Day 1 Route

Here is day 1:

http://goo.gl/maps/EQXwN

Starting a the rental shop in Aurora, down through 105 to Garden of the Gods, then up 24 to my home town, then CR1 to cripple creek, then shelf road down to skyline drive then a short stint on hwy 9 to get to the dirt roads to Salida. Drop stuff off at the hotel in Salida then head up to the summit of Mt. Princeton.

Any suggestions? How hard will it be to get a 1200GS to the top of Mt. Princeton?
Old 07-31-2013, 05:13 AM   #3
COboy OP
b00b

Ready to go slap an mt60 on the front and meet up the rest of tbe boys in Denver. That orange duffle has 3 wolfman dry duffles and 2 kriegas inside that we will use on the trip.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Old 07-31-2013, 07:00 AM   #4
COboy OP
b00b

At the Bear for bfast

Old 07-31-2013, 01:51 PM   #5
29andSingle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by COboy View Post
At the Bear for bfast

Great start. Looking forward to the rest of this one.
29andSingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:00 PM   #6
COboy OP
b00b

After spending most of the day at the Ducati dealership swapping tires and getting a new gps installed we hit Target (Brazilians love Target perhaps even more than soccer). For dinner we went to Benihanna and had an awesome meal.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:01 AM   #7
COboy OP
b00b

Day 1

So... we left the bike rental place at 9:30 this morning. We rented 4 GSs: 2x650s, 1x800 and 1x1200.

We then headed down to the Springs via hwy 105, reaching Garden of the Gods around 11:00.

After stopping for the best pizza in Colorado at Pizzaria Rustica, we rode up 24 to Cripple Creek to ride down Shelf Road.

After reaching Canon City we took Ute Trail (CR2, CR175) to Salida. I have read that this is where they filmed parts of one of the Lord of the Rings movies.

Checking out a side trail.

Coming down into Salida, looking over some of the Collegiate Peaks.

We are staying at the Hampton Inn in Salida tonight which is great. Spacious room, impeccably clean, warm pool and a piping hot hot tub.

View of the parked bikes from our room. Is the Ducati too good to hang with the bimmers? You bet. My sexy Italian vixen is not going to be seen around a bunch or overweight German maidens.

Loving my tires so far. The D616(Rear) is great on pavement and decent on the dirt. The MT60R (Front) hooks up amazingly well on dry and wet pavement as well as on the dirt/rocks! Thank you ltfdrebbin for the your help and inspiration: http://timetogetrolling.com/category/gear/

Old 08-02-2013, 10:27 PM   #8
COboy OP
b00b

Day 2

So... It was not easy getting folks out of bed this morning. I wanted to go ride up Mt. Princeton but no one else was interested. Instead, we ended up going white water rafting in Buena Vista.

After our late start we headed down 17 to Alamosa which was the longest straight any of us had ever been on. At least a 60 miles without turns! It helped pass the time doing little 3rd gear roll on drag races.

Then it was back to the mountains after Antonito (not much of a town I am afraid, but Alamosa was surprisingly nice) and it started to pour.

Shortly after that we split into two groups, the dirt lovers and the sensible two. The responsible adults took a beautiful ride down to Chama, New Mexico and then back up to Pagosa Springs. I could not pass up the chance to get the Duc REALLY nice and dirty so the three of us masochists embarked on a breath-taking, 60 mile dirt ride in the rain up FR250 (Stunner Pass) all the way to 160 around windy pass.

Fixing a loose license plate and making sure our gear was staying put.

We then hopped on 160 and rode to Pagosa Springs as fast as we could in the dark and wet night. I can't wait to ride 160 during a sunny day, but that will be on another trip. Tomorrow we head to Durango > Ouray > Telluride.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:50 PM   #9
COboy OP
b00b

Day 3

So we headed out of Pagosa around 9:30 headed to Durango and then Ouray via 160 and 550 (million dollar highway).

My dirty girl after yesterday's 60-mile dirt adventure.

Molas Pass

Wearing the edges off the D616. If you like twisties, it is VERY hard to beat the ride from Silverton to Ouray...

Equipment failure... we have been pretty lucky so far. The Duc has been hard to start at altitude, so I need to get a new mapping for my fuel injector. Way too lean as it is. Other than that, a sole coming unglued has been the extent of our troubles.

Ouray gives Crested Butte a run for its money as my favorite town in the known universe. We were going to go over Ophir Pass but the thunderstorms and heavy rain turned grown men into school girls so we slabed it to Tellirude.

The ride to Telluride was VERY, VERY wet. We were all drenched. Did I mention it was wet? Anyway, the sun did come out in the afternoon but I did not have my phone/camera. I will take pictures tomorrow, but this valley might be the most beautiful I have even seen. Wow... what a setting! I spent a considerable amount of time staring at roads to Imogene and Black Bear passes and drooling... but those will be have to be conquered on another trip.

Not exactly camping but it will do for one night.

Tomorrow we do Last Dollar road and then meet up with two guides in Montrose to go dirt biking. Hopefully we will have one of those 300+ days of Colorado sunshine. The wet stuff is getting old.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:39 AM   #10
COboy OP
b00b

Day 4

We wake up in Telluride and decide that we are not spending enough time on two wheels. So three of us try to rent downhill bikes but the stores only opened at 9 and we needed to be in Montrose at 11 to meet up with the guides to go ride some trails on dirt bikes. But wait! The lady at the front desk tells us that if we take the gondola to town there is a store that opens at 8, so there we go...

Turns out the store that opened at 8 did not rent bikes... Another year of a failed downhill mountain biking attempt (last year we tried in Aspen).

So we took last dollar road on the way to Montrose. As the saying goes, if I only had one Dollar left to my name, I would spend it to ride this road! We had a couple of sketchy puddle crossings and the whole way was very muddy but everyone did great.

For those who think you can't take a Ducati single-tracking, think again:

The views are incredible.

Don't drop it! Everyone lends a hand to make sure the 800 doesn't roll down the hill.

http://s850.photobucket.com/user/psi...2d5f3.mp4.html

After the GPS took us to a dead end, we finally got on the right road and were found by one of our guides.

The trails were great but we got dumped on again by thunderstorms. Our "guide" got us so lost it took us 60 miles of dirt roads to get us back to Montrose! The mud was the slickest any of us had ever ridden on, darn bikes would slide sideways going downhill in neutral!

One of many "Let's check the paper map in the pouring rain" stops.

Ok, this one is funny. After getting to the hotel, we decide to walk over to an Arby's for milkshakes. The door is locked but an employee tells us to go to the drive through on foot! Here is a pic of us in our imaginary car:

COboy screwed with this post 08-16-2013 at 12:17 PM
Old 08-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #11
COboy OP
b00b

Day 5

We woke up in Montrose and hit the road early to get back to Aurora and return the bikes. For most of the trip it was sunny, but when it rained... it also hailed! Ouch!! We stopped in Breckenridge for a quick bite (Texas-style BBQ).

From there I headed home to Woodland Park, while the rest of the gang headed to the rental shop in Aurora. We met later for dinner at Brio in the Cherry Creek shopping district.

In total we rode 1,075 miles (not counting 7 hours of dirt biking on the trails). What a BLAST... best company, best sport, best state, crappy weather and as always... a billion laughs.

Quote of the trip: "Cheers to the Milf!" courtesy of the intoxicated folks at the table behind us at Kip's Grill in Pagosa Springs

Best Twisties: Hwy 550

Best Views: Impossible to pick just one... Shelf Rd? Molas Pass? Last Dollar Rd? Ute Trail? Telluride Gondola? Stunner Pass?

Best Meal: Sheridan in Telluride

Best Hotel: Madeline in Telluride

Worst Town: Antonito

Worst road: Hwy 17

'Till next year! Keep the shinny side up and the rubber side down!

COboy screwed with this post 08-08-2013 at 10:26 AM
Old 08-08-2013, 10:05 AM   #12
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 3,527
Dude you totally should have said something I would have gone!!!

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:37 AM   #13
COboy OP
b00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerdog53 View Post
Dude you totally should have said something I would have gone!!!
Let's get the English-only version planned! I got lots of ideas!
Old 08-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #14
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Quote:

Ducati?!? Yes, a Ducati. I even switched out my Pirelli Trails for a "real" dual sport tire (Dunlop 616):

I know, I could have put on a pair of TKC80s instead of these Dunlops but since we are only doing about 30-40% of the trip on the dirt I figured these were a good compromise. ...
Yes because we have so many options in a 180 width.....

Old 08-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #15
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Quote: