User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2013, 02:09 PM   #1
kellymac530 OP
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
Trial specific helmet?

I have had 2 major neck surguries and helemt weight is a big issue for me. Wind pulling and buffeting is also an issue.

I am riding a large dual sport bike on 50/50 street and dirt road stuff. Most of my dirt riding is low speed and easy because of my neck and I can not risk a hard crash. Street well that is street.

I am seriously considering a Trials specific helmet for all of my riding, especially summer. I already use a 3/4 style open face HJC in the summer but want something even better vented and lighter.

I am NOT concerned with ratings and whether you reccomend one for saftey so much. I would probably NOT wear a helmet on the road if I did not live in Cali or anywhere else with mandatory helmet laws. I am looking for something that will help with little knocks from slip outs and lay downs off road and something that LOOKS like a helmet to LEOs.

Has anyone used a Trials helmet on the street? Do the pull and buffet badly?
What ones do you trials folks like?
I like the Airoh Trr style, but no one around here stocks them so a test fit is unlikely.

My concerns are 1} light weight !!!! 2} minimal buffeting at road speeds 3} cool would be nice {temperature not syle wise}

Thanks for any help
Old 07-10-2013, 04:12 PM   #2
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 22,076
I have no advice for someone not wanting to wear a helmet on the street.

You might try posting in Road Warriors.

Sorry.
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:17 PM   #3
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,353
The lightest possible helmet would be a mountain bike helmet.
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #4
kellymac530 OP
motorcycle addict

MTB helmet is not legal on the street. Cali requires a helmet on the street. I do wear a helmet on the street. I am saying I want the lightest possible MOTORCYCLE based helmet and a trials helmet fits the bill.

So back to my questions at hand...
1} has anyone used the Airoh Trr and is it as cool as they claim?
2} does it buffet much at higher speeds?

Gordy, you live with my neck pain and you would see why I would choose to not wear a helmet on the street...There are days I PRAY for a diesel truck to run a red light. If I get in a street crash at any real speed I WANT it to take me out and it likely would, helmet or not with all of my neck hardware.
A little dirt tumble is a different story, I will be fine for the most part and just want to be legal and prevent the bumps and rash from the standard dump.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:03 PM   #5
Gordy
Team Listo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymac530 View Post
Gordy, you live with my neck pain and you would see why I would choose to not wear a helmet on the street...There are days I PRAY for a diesel truck to run a red light. If I get in a street crash at any real speed I WANT it to take me out and it likely would, helmet or not with all of my neck hardware.
A little dirt tumble is a different story, I will be fine for the most part and just want to be legal and prevent the bumps and rash from the standard dump.
I understand. Pain is horrible to deal with on a daily basis. Sorry for the callous reply.

But, just a an easy flop over in the street can smash your pumpkin and maybe kill you or paralyze you forever. Watch skateboarder vids. Their heads whip into the pavement violently quick.

I found a kid that I knew laying in the street next to a curb from a simple dirt bike fall. His eyes were crazy as I was trying to comfort him and then blood started coming out of his ear. He died a few days later. . Ever since then, I am kinda short with guys that don't ride with helmets.

I have both an Airoh trials and dirt bike helmet because of the weight and love them. No idea on how they wok on the street. I think that they make a DS helmet too.

Good luck out there.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:17 PM   #6
kellymac530 OP
motorcycle addict

Thanks for the concern Gordy. It's cool.
Honestly, any hit that would smack my head, like the whip you say skaters have alot, would likely kill me helmet or not. That is fine with. I accept that risk. If I go down at any higher speeds there is NO helmet that would help me and in all honesty, the lighter the helmet the better the better my chance of survival because of my 3 level fusion and the way it is positioned, any whip of the would likely snap my spinal cord anyway and a heavy helmet would only add to that.

I have a modular helmet for cold weather, but it is a bit heavy. I also have a really trick TLD MX race helmet, but it buffets on the hiway with the full size visor. I have considered those lame looking half helmets that the HD guys wear, but those are lame and not that light. The Airoh is the second lightest helmet I found on a site that tests helmets. They loved it, but did not ride it at hiway speeds so could not speak on the buffeting.

A bit pricey to just take a chance on, but I might. I used to have an HJC open face that had a small visor and it kind of looked like a trials helmet, I liked it for warm weather alot, but it was black, and not that light. Buffeting was not as much of an issue before these last 2 surgeries.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:05 PM   #7
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,279
Kelly,

I would think a full face helmet with windguard, or those "convertible/flip up" types would be better for you, and get a MOTOCROSS neck protector, looks slightly like the neck braces recovery patients wear, but they can help support the helmet via shoulders.

Trials helmets the light ones are made from Carbon Fiber, instead of just Poly carbonate/fiberglass? We're taking a handfull of ounces, from good helmets made normal and the great helmets same company with Carbon or other lightweight materials. so you just have to stay away from JC whitney bargain circle helmets...

Trials helmets generally, they are open face, we have a tiny *sun* visor, that on road speed winds, I think would wrench your neck. the ones I was thinking of, are kinda new, not sure how high end (as in carbon fiber and weight conscious they might be found? but professional racers can find stuff like that, somewhere? and of course for a Price). Im sure Ashley Force isn't pulling 4 g's with a cheapo Chinese Walmart/dollar general helmet. Yeh, they have other gear to help hold the helmet in place, so are some motcross riders, using what I call a neck brace, I dont know what it might be called.

Here is the 1st link I googled, http://www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/PR...-neotec-silverto show you what helmet I meant, this one is expensive SHOEI, I whould imagine flagship brands try to make helmets as light as can withstand forces.

Bell makes this one, description says aero design to resist wind buffetting... http://www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/PR...o-hivis-yellow
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:03 PM   #8
Gordy
Team Listo

I do know that won't be getting a new trials helmet any time soon.
I just bought a new Arai street helmet. Even at a discount......

Mother of god, the top of the line Arai lists for a grand!!!
No, I didn't get that one.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:27 PM   #9
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Sting, I do not think that is what Kelly is looking for. He means `LIGHT` Not full helmet. Years ago I screwed up my neck hopping on the rear wheel of a monty. ( In the parking lot at work, at the oldest Yamaha shop in the country) It does suck, and that is why you do not see me hopping around much.

To Kelly, I was serious about the down hill bike helmets. Most trials helmets do not have DOT labels. You said you would ride without if the law allowed, but want a motorcycle helmet. What gives? Either you want a helmet, or you would wear anything to get around it.
Myself, I would wear a full face on the street with neck support with one of the new collars. Helmets have saved me on and off road. I get knocked out easy since I have a permanent concussion from a farming accident when I was eight years old.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:28 PM   #10
wb22rules
Bourbon Tester

Oddometer: 196
I got this helmet for its price as I was unemployed for 6 months and had absolutely no "extra" money, but I just went out to the garage to confirm my memory that it is extremely light. It is DOT rated, but as you have stated its protection is secondary to its weight, and this one is light. If you have a Tractor Supply near you check it out. I got mine for 10 dollars off ($29.00) because the visor was missing out of the box, which I didn't mind as the visor too short to be of any use in the woods anyway.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...et-extra-large
Old 07-13-2013, 09:32 PM   #11
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
I do know that won't be getting a new trials helmet any time soon.
I just bought a new Arai street helmet. Even at a discount......

Mother of god, the top of the line Arai lists for a grand!!!
No, I didn't get that one.
Wait a minute, how come you aren`t at Taos?
Old 07-13-2013, 09:34 PM   #12
wb22rules
Bourbon Tester

busted
Old 07-13-2013, 09:37 PM   #13
DrKayak
Retro Rider

Oddometer: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymac530 View Post
So back to my questions at hand...
1} has anyone used the Airoh Trr and is it as cool as they claim?
2} does it buffet much at higher speeds?.
I have the Airoh. Sizing runs the same as Shoei or Arai. I wear a XXL in both, ordered a XL Airoh (by their size chart) and it was tighter than I like, so I just ordered a XXL liner and all is good.

As short and well vented as the visor is I would not expect an issue with buffeting. Would not expect to get pulled over wearing it on the street, it looks like a real helmet. Does sit high on my head, great visibility. Not as full coverage on the back of your head as most helmets.

Not amazed as to how cool it is riding trials. But it's summer in CA and you are not moving fast riding trials. It does great at channeling the sweat so it drips off the strap and not in you eyes.

I got mine on E-bay from UK for $100 less than the local triasl shop wanted for it.
04 FZ1
DrKayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:47 PM   #14
Gordy
Team Listo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
Wait a minute, how come you aren`t at Taos?
Many reasons but mostly too many assorted pains going on right now. My lower back (SI) is still acting up and my wrist is still jacked from Sipapu.
I may ride a bit tomorrow, but didn't want to haul all the way up there and then ride at about 75%.

They should be having fun with the rain though . It is absolutely hammering here at the house right now!!!
Old 07-13-2013, 09:53 PM   #15
wb22rules
Bourbon Tester

Hope you feel better Gordy, medical issues are a pain in the arse .......