Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2013, 09:27 PM   #16
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb22rules View Post
Hope you feel better Gordy, medical issues are a pain in the arse .......

Thanks!
I'm really doing pretty good, just normal wear and tear reminding me of my birthday.
Gordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:36 PM   #17
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,210
That`s it, my head still hurts from Sipapu. Friday night 7/5/13 drinking all Hammers beer! I have a love hate thing with Taos. I love the upper loop, I hate camping in a parking lot!
Hope you heal up, I totally understand.
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:29 PM   #18
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
They should be having fun with the rain though . It is absolutely hammering here at the house right now!!!

Rode the whole upper event in the rain!
Old 07-14-2013, 06:42 PM   #19
Gordy
Team Listo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMTrailboss View Post

Rode the whole upper event in the rain!
That is awesome. It's all part of the sport..........however.

Are you home already??
Old 07-14-2013, 06:55 PM   #20
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,210
Well at least the trucks weren`t stuck in the mud!
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:42 AM   #21
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
Are you home already??
We got out of there pretty early yesterday afternoon...amazing how fast riders will go through the sections when it is raining hard!
Old 07-15-2013, 08:49 AM   #22
Gordy
Team Listo

Geeze, I'm asking for information about the event in the NMTA thread and I get the best up to date info in a helmet thread (that is about trials helmets for street riding).

Maybe the results will be posted in the oil thread?
Old 07-15-2013, 09:23 PM   #23
kellymac530 OP
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
Sting, I do not think that is what Kelly is looking for. He means `LIGHT` Not full helmet. Years ago I screwed up my neck hopping on the rear wheel of a monty. ( In the parking lot at work, at the oldest Yamaha shop in the country) It does suck, and that is why you do not see me hopping around much.

To Kelly, I was serious about the down hill bike helmets. Most trials helmets do not have DOT labels. You said you would ride without if the law allowed, but want a motorcycle helmet. What gives? Either you want a helmet, or you would wear anything to get around it.
Myself, I would wear a full face on the street with neck support with one of the new collars. Helmets have saved me on and off road. I get knocked out easy since I have a permanent concussion from a farming accident when I was eight years old.
What gives is, in Cali where I live you are REQUIRED to wear a helmet. Most cops I know rarely care about checking the tag if it is DOT or SNELL or ECE...certified. But if looks like a bicycle helmet of any sort they would shoot you down and ticket you. they do occasionally ticket those srupid little dome caps that the Harley guys wear.
The Airoh looks like a motorcycle open face helmet and I am sure NO cop here would hassle anyone for that.

Sting: I appreciate the idea, But I have MANY helmets already including one like what you show. I have an HJC modular bluetooth helmet and I like it, but it it HEAVY. The neck pad you speak of is ok in a crash, but they do nothing for support while riding. The neck collar does not even touch the bottom of the helmet.

My issue is weight and unwanted movement.

I also have a Troy Lee Designs full carbon fiber MX helemt that I would bet is not much heavier than a full face mountain bike helemet and a similar visor. The helmet is lighter than my Modular {the flip up style Sting posted a pic of} but there is a good bit of buffeting and lift from the visor. I am going to try and ride without the visor and see how much that changes it.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:31 PM   #24
UtahGuido
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,377
I pulled this out of the closet today and I think it will be my backyard practice helmet. It's an old Prijon kayak helmet - 3 mm of tough German plastic with nylon webbing inside to cradle the noggin. I've taken a few stiff rock hits underwater with this thing and its done the job.... uh, where was I.....oh yeah, and it only weighs 1400 grams.

Seriously, I trust it for anything short of penciling in from five feet onto something really sharp and pointy.

Edit: Having re-read the thread I realize alternate helmets for trials use is not the topic the OP started with. This post probably belongs someplace else.

UtahGuido screwed with this post 07-16-2013 at 03:39 PM
UtahGuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:33 AM   #25
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymac530 View Post

My issue is weight and unwanted movement.
The quote above, is my effing point.

I haven't read every single post, you asked about TRIALS HELMET, I honestly instantly thought, that the open face helmet with a visor (our trials helmets) will catch air and rip your head off. that is why I said with your "condition" I bet you can sell all those older helmets reasonably, and get a lightweight version from some company, that is full face, less likely to catch wind. I have seen THICK neck brace types used in auto racing, so I know it will hold up the helmet...

I mentioned big dollar people like drag racers, motocross people with big pockets just because you DO see these thing, you just dont see them "retail" necessarily.

I wont try anymore, so good luck and very sorry for your situation. Maybe worth moving from Cali? I mean my Aunt can live several years selling her house in southern Cali, which if it was where I live, rural kansas, wouldn't bring more than 120 thousand if fixed up to "flip"...
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:47 PM   #26
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,046
I bought a TRR thinking I was getting a trials bike to match. Hasn't happened yet.
Second reason was I thought it'd be great to have to slip on for a ride down to the corner or just local cowtrailing.

That said, anything over say, 45mph, it felt both LOUD and didn't deal with the wind as I'd invisioned.
Super venting and supercool, and what a great looking lid.
But just not a dualsport helmet at all, 'less you putt putt about your local trails.

If you're looking for light, I'd say try a cheapy AFX or other dualsport lid.
Oh, I live in CACA too...

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:24 PM   #27
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,653
Here is my 2 cents....
All of my off-road helmets are designed to flow good air at slow speeds, in other words they are LOUD when you get going fast. My Airoh is no different. It is very light and comfortable, but get going faster than about 35 and it is very loud and the visor does its best to rip your head off..... They are just not designed for road speeds, comfortably.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:09 AM   #28
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,046
Thumb Fly Trekker

I say here's your answer: Fly Trekker Dual Sport Helmet?

Atomic Moto has these I do believe at a good price but check around.
Fairly good lid and pretty light if I recall.

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:30 PM   #29
wb22rules
Bourbon Tester

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb22rules View Post
I got this helmet for its price as I was unemployed for 6 months and had absolutely no "extra" money, but I just went out to the garage to confirm my memory that it is extremely light. It is DOT rated, but as you have stated its protection is secondary to its weight, and this one is light. If you have a Tractor Supply near you check it out. I got mine for 10 dollars off ($29.00) because the visor was missing out of the box, which I didn't mind as the visor too short to be of any use in the woods anyway.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...et-extra-large

If you have a tractor supply nearby, walk in and see how light this one is, I doubt you can find DOT approved helmet any lighter.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:41 AM   #30
toro618
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 940
For anyone who also rides dirt bikes, why not just use your mx helmets?
toro618 is offline   Reply With Quote