Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2013, 03:55 AM   #16
windex
former hobo

Oddometer: 14
BT, Art—we're on our way! Judd almost crashed posing for this photo.
windex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:09 PM   #17
RandyReider
Kind of a Big Deal

Oddometer: 141
Dang boys, have a helluva time. Take pics. And I expect some great new stories around the campfire next time.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:41 PM   #18
CaptDanimal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Moaaar

drive faster fellas... I wanna see the COBDR done in true ADV fashion

"dibs on the grenade "
CaptDanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:42 PM   #19
Britome OP
Get Free

Oddometer: 1,099
Today we tested our rain gear and gortex. For the most part, most of it works most of the time. The upside is that CO needs the rain to help with rampant forest fires. The downside is that it slowed us down.

Research told me that camping sites around Telluride were hard to find given topography. We said, "screw the research" and spent about an hour cruising on forest roads in search of. We found some places where we could sleep but they weren't the scenic place we were expecting on night one.

Next thing we new it was getting dark and sprinkling again and we decide to go to Telluride for a room. Well the hits kept coming. It is an expensive destination town AND it is a weekend AND there is a festival. We found one place for $289 a night with one king bed. 5 grown men in one room... Perfect.

All in all it was still a good day. The worst roads in CO on the worst days are pretty much better than the best roads in OH on the best days. The past several years we have been doing a lot of offloading on these trips. I haven't done a 350 mile day for a while. It felt good.

Tomorrow we head to Dolores and the. We are on the trail. I almost forgot... Biggest surprise of the day is that Judd didn't go down.
Britome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #20
watox
BDR-Junky

Oddometer: 41
Judd-light of the day - riding through driving rain and having to jump under a porch of a random abandoned cabin to escape the worst of it. Lightening striking all around us. Amazing

Note - one man went down today, wasn't me.

Then grabbed a hotel in Telluride... Dig it.

http://http://instagram.com/p/bsBO4-EF-R/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
watox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:25 PM   #21
watox
BDR-Junky

Oddometer: 41
Also, here are some sweet pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
watox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:18 PM   #22
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,852
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:01 PM   #23
Nacho911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
Sweet. Great timing on your blog. 7 of us shall be embarking on this ride on July 19, from Canmore, Alberta Canada. We cannot wait! Have fun and be safe. Beer and bourbon here we come!

Mike
Old 07-13-2013, 10:03 AM   #24
chuckGS1200
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Thumb Dream Ride---Good Fortune!

It looks like these guys know how to get from here to there. Enjoy!
chuckGS1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:22 PM   #25
Britome OP
Get Free

After a crazy beautiful ride on pavement from Telluride to Delores we hit dirt and headed north. The first section is very soft dirt. If it were raining you would be screwed. Something must have happened with our tires when changing elevation from Cincy. My bike was handling like crap and I thought I was too geared up and rusty. I checked my psi and I was at 45! We took the TKCs down to. 25 and everything is purring.

Right now we are having lunch at a little liquor store at ground hog reservoir. The owner gave us lettuce and tomato and we bout the rest. Just got done eating on the back patio. Great stuff.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:22 PM   #26
Britome OP
Get Free

Crazy that I can post this from this view...

I walked up a stone hill to take a pic of the best campsite ever!
Old 07-14-2013, 07:29 PM   #27
Britome OP
Get Free

There is too much stuff to talk about from the past 48 hrs. At some point I'll put up a long post. For know, the big and depressing news is that Art's 2005 1200GS broke down. The bike just wouldn't start and the shift indicator wasn't displaying. No clicking, no nothing. I did everything I knew including bypassing the side stand switch and, installing my spare antenna ring and checking the starter relay. Likely the starter, or some other computer stuff.

Bottom line is that we were finally able to push start it but when the kickstand went down it would cut the engine. Therefore, we limped I into Ouray and he got a tow to Grand Junction where there is a BMW dealer. Bummer is they are closed tomorrow.

He will figure out what his options are and how and when to meet up with us later. It was hard to leave him but he insisted and he was probably right.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:35 PM   #28
Britome OP
Get Free

One final post today as I notice some people are following this in making plans for their upcoming adventure. The day 2 COBDR section is the bomb dot com!!!

From what I can see from the Butler map and what I have gathered from others, spend more time in this section and don't worry about the later sections if you run out of time. The trails here are endless and every one better than the last.

We made it to the top of Corkscrew pass (which is where we are camping) in a rain with mud, steep ascent, switchbacks and fully loaded bikes. It was freaking unreal.

And here's the craziest thing... Judd never went down. He has crossed over.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:28 PM   #29
Britome OP
Get Free

Good day yesterday and today. The rest of section two and all of three are awesome. I like the diversity of the riding through rocky rolling hills. Here was last night's campsite.

We find ourselves going around jeeps and 4 wheelers all the time. Doing this road on 2 wheels I way more fun, smooth and expedient.

Art had a bad transmission gear indicator switch. He is on his way to new us around Leadville. One more piece of goodness...
Old 07-16-2013, 10:16 PM   #30
GabeB
n00b

Oddometer: 6
This thread is awesome. A group of us from Michigan/Indiana/Kentucky are doing the COBDR in Sept and this is getting me quite excited.

Gabe