User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2013, 03:46 PM   #1
abhibeckert OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Reversed into

Last night a car reversed into me. I was following a safe distance, and he suddenly stopped, and I stopped behind him less suddenly since I didn't have enough time to check my mirrors.

This left me about a bike length behind him when I saw the reverse lights and by the time I could react he drove over the front wheel, pushing the bike sideways to the ground under me, then he stopped.

No injuries and only cosmetic damage to my ktm and his car, so all good! He was pretty freaked out, worried he'd killed someone I guess. But I just laughed and rode off after a quick safety check over the front wheel/brakes.

I don't really have any hard feelings... it was dark and wet in the CBD. He was stopping for a park after probably circling the same block for 20 minutes, and my headlight would have been hard to see among all the other lights reflecting off wet surfaces.

Obviously he should have looked more carefully before reversing, and driven slower so he could stop in time and not need to reverse.

Not sure what I could have done different? I was a safe distance I think, and I had plenty of time to jump out of the way, just not move the bike. Normally I stop next to a car when they suddenly stop (to avoid being sandwiched) but it was a narrow city street and not enough room.

Don't ride in the city at night when it's raining I guess. Should have taken the bus.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:32 PM   #2
easyrider88
POsIng PrO

Oddometer: 282
backed UP

had the same thing happen to me 3 years ago.i got a check from the guys insurance company for $1800.mostly scratches to my once pristine 97 triumph trophy 1200.the kid was young and dumb.driving his brother car.i was a bit pissed but accidents do happen.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #3
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Horn. Useful for getting people's attention.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:08 AM   #4
daveinva
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrapper View Post
Horn. Useful for getting people's attention.
Also be aware that the horn trigger differs from bike to bike, i.e. you need to practice it. Had the exact same thing as the OP *almost* happen one day with a reversing panel van, and on my then-new bike I couldn't find the horn trigger in time. Thankfully, someone on the sidewalk next to the reversing van saw what was happening and yelled in the van driver's window stopping me from being squished.
daveinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:09 AM   #5
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,494
Horn and flash your high beams.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:29 AM   #6
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 7,774
You're on a badass KTM....wheelie and ride up and over the offending auto.

After blaring your horn and flashing your high beams (do you have nice high beams to flash?)

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:46 AM   #7
feathered
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggziff View Post
You're on a badass KTM....wheelie and ride up and over the offending auto.

My only accident involved someone backing into me at a traffic light. Wife almost had the same thing happen to her, but she reacted instantly and perfectly, AND the van then stopped.

If you're ~1 bike length from a car and they start reversing in a hurry, you don't have all that much time to act. Even if you snap to it, they have to notice you and make the proper reaction in time as well.
feathered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:58 AM   #8
echo15
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Those who are suggesting using the horn to get attention must no longer have the OEM versions.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #9
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,191
Pop the clutch and drop the front wheel on their trunk or through the back window. If that doesn't get their attention then honk the horn.
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:49 AM   #10
Belgian Waffles
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 871
Sounds like a freight train. Stops the trucks from squishing me on the freeway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuakT7YK0kU

Current: 1989 Honda Transalp, 2006 Scorpa TY125F trials
Past: 1999 KLR 650, 1990 Tengai 650
Belgian Waffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:14 PM   #11
PT Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
The Stebel Nautilus is good but not great. I prefer a pair of Fiamm Freeway Blasters (also sold under the NAPA label).
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...comparison.htm

Try stopping behind and to one side or the other of the stopped car, whichever side has the best escape route. It'll be quicker to get around the backing car if that is at all possible.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:44 PM   #12
bjorn240
Good with a map!

Oddometer: 300
This nearly happened to me this week too. Absolutely zero reaction to the stock horn. I was maybe 1.5 car lengths back and just paddled backwards like a mad man. Luckily, my movement got his attention and he stopped. Scary, slow-motion stuff!
Old 07-11-2013, 06:20 PM   #13
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 2,690
and here I thought the Universe reserved this kind of crap exclusively for me.

This happened to me at a rural intersection; I noticed the car ahead had pulled too far into the road as I approached so I stopped well back, maybe 2 car lengths.

Suddenly I see reverse lights and here comes the Subaru Outback; luckily we were on an incline, nobody behind, so I released the brakes and began rolling backward but Subarau is gaining ground so I begin sounding horn, flashing brights all while rolling backward trying not to falling over. BOOM! The back bumper rides up an onto my front tire and the jackass at the wheel finally notices me.

I dismounted and he wonders how my bike is standing up. I actually had to point out the fact that he was parked on me! Unbelievably, he begins to blame me for the...predicament, and attempts to leave.

People in the house at the corner saw it all, and came over to see what's what. Being now "caught" driver begrudgingly gives me his info.

Long story short, he paid for damages courtesy of the county Sheriff, still protesting his innocence and my fault for" being there."

ozmoses screwed with this post 07-12-2013 at 09:42 AM
ozmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:38 AM   #14
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,044
Exactly same thing happened to me, pull up behind a taxi, he reverses knocks the bike over, then he blames me for being in his way. Unbelievable.
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:56 AM   #15
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,638
same thing. Horn no effect. I turned handlebars to lock and rode thru a ditch. Drunk asshole. I called 911 and gave his description, license, location. I doubt they caught him.

There is a reason to practice starting with handlebars turned, rather than the easier roll forward then turn. This was it.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote