Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2013, 06:12 AM   #16
Huzband OP
Team Dirt

Oddometer: 3,551
Point conceded. Can we get back to vans now please?
'90 RM250
IBA #30344
Huzband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:34 AM   #17
GrayEagleRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Nice Van

This set up is pretty sweet, but will probably kill you at the pump.
GrayEagleRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:46 AM   #18
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 581
Its really a shame the US doesn't make a high MPG mid sized van. The euro - diesel vans get 30mpg and none use the latest tech.

The Nissan NV 200 is a step in the right direction - but no diesel and not as nice as the cool eurovans in the UK. However, its way more affordable and coming to the US in 2014. Will be under engined if you load it up with more than a trials bike.

http://www.nissancommercialvehicles....bal.nv200.link
laser17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:50 AM   #19
ridenm
not waiting anymore

Oddometer: 2,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser17 View Post
Its really a shame the US doesn't make a high MPG mid sized van. The euro - diesel vans get 30mpg and none use the latest tech.

The Nissan NV 200 is a step in the right direction - but no diesel and not as nice as the cool eurovans in the UK. However, its way more affordable and coming to the US in 2014. Will be under engined if you load it up with more than a trials bike.

http://www.nissancommercialvehicles....bal.nv200.link
Man, between the Nissan Juke, Cube, and that new van, if I was a member of Nissan's design team I would have to commit sepuku for the dishonor of unleashing such ugly vehicles on the world.

Anyway, a few years ago we owned a "Dodge" Sprinter van. It was one of the V6 turbo-diesels in the high-roof passenger style. I pulled the two back seats out and had room for two full-sized trials bikes, a Gas-Gas 50, and two OSET 16.0's. Pulling a small camping trailer the rig got 20-22 mpg. Unfortunately, diesel shot up to ~$4.60 a gallon, and the Sprinter was lousy on snowy roads or in high winds.

I was just browsing the web in re: the Nissan NV passenger van, and I stumbled upon the fact that Quigley can now upfit the Nissans to 4x4 as they do the Fords and GMC/Chevys (http://www.quigley4x4.com/Products/NissanProducts.aspx). Decent towing capacity even with the V6. Adds about $11k to the new price, so not cheap, but 4x4 adds functionality trials riders often find useful.

The value I see to a full-sized van is many-fold:
1. For just a day event you get a place to store the bike and gear out of the elements, with room to change out of grungy clothes at the end of the day.
2. For an overnight solo, there's room to sleep as long as you aren't insistent on creature comforts and don't need secure storage for the bike outside (i.e., camping).
3. For bringing the family, most vans (especially in long wheelbase flavor) can haul three or even four bikes AND carry four or five people AND tow a decent-sized travel trailer.
4. For road trips, vans just bring a little extra piece of mind that open pickups and trailers can't match.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:58 AM   #20
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 1,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huzband View Post
I know, I'm getting to be a thread starter whore. Ban me.

Seriously though. I have a Silverado so carrying the bike isn't the issue. My concern is when you have an over nighter & can't get the bike into the hotel room. Sure, I could get a thirty foot cable & route is through the wheels, frame, & trailer hitch, but who wants to deal with that after a long day of sections? And first thing in the morning of day two, I think not.

So I'm looking at vans. Full size, mini in the genre of Astro. That sort of thing so I can lock the bike behind closed doors & sleep well. Well enough that old muscles allow anyway.

I remember back in the seventies how flat trackers would close off the back of their Dodge Maxivans for the bike & equipment, & build a bed above the rear seat. Any of you go that far?

Tell us what you have, & if it's custom at all pics would be most appreciated.

Thanks for your tolerance.
How often will you be needing this security? I know it's not a van, but a small enclosed trailer will give you similar security at much less cost. Sure, you can buy used Astro vans cheap (had one, loved it), but factor in insurance, maintenance, etc. and the trailer becomes a significant savings.

Just another angle to consider...
motojunky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:00 AM   #21
Huzband OP
Team Dirt

Oddometer: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridenm View Post

The value I see to a full-sized van is many-fold:
1. For just a day event you get a place to store the bike and gear out of the elements, with room to change out of grungy clothes at the end of the day.
2. For an overnight solo, there's room to sleep as long as you aren't insistent on creature comforts and don't need secure storage for the bike outside (i.e., camping).
3. For bringing the family, most vans (especially in long wheelbase flavor) can haul three or even four bikes AND carry four or five people AND tow a decent-sized travel trailer.
4. For road trips, vans just bring a little extra piece of mind that open pickups and trailers can't match.
That nails my thoughts perfectly.
'90 RM250
IBA #30344
Huzband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:30 AM   #22
roadholder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,271
This works only for very short hauls.

But for longer trips I use this...

roadholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:14 AM   #23
motorcyclemark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Definitely hold out for a long wheel based van with big motor. Your mileage will not be much different (they all get shitty mileage) why not have a motor you don't cuss. Sliding door is another plus in my opinion, insulate and panel sides and roof. Cut in a roof mounted fan, one that will pull in and out air. Lots of options to dress it out. Mine is a work in progress, just wish I could have afforded a diesel, next time.
motorcyclemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #24
nwcycle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 947
What if??

Save the headaches of buying someone used van, just buy a small enclosed trailer in the $1500.00 area.....
You have the truck already to pull it..
nwcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:04 PM   #25
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
van

Sorry I can't show a picture right now.

I use a van. It has many uses. I have a thin piece of plywood about 3 by 41/2 feet. I have it set up for three bikes. Simple door hinge holds a 2x4 that is attached to the plywood, with a piece of rope to holds it from opening to far. I have these mounted at a stagger so the handle bars don't hit each other. It slides in and out of the van easy. I will try to post a picture.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:10 PM   #26
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Van jig

Maybe this will explain myself
Old 07-11-2013, 06:13 PM   #27
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Something like this

Check back, I am loading it now. camping for the weekend.
Geritol Trial
Old 07-11-2013, 06:42 PM   #28
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridenm View Post
Man, between the Nissan Juke, Cube, and that new van, if I was a member of Nissan's design team I would have to commit sepuku for the dishonor of unleashing such ugly vehicles on the world.
LOL - Especially the Juke convertible is about as ugly as they get! I dont mind the NV 200 so much as the drive train looks low budget. I drove a Ford connect and it reminded me of driving a mail truck. Anemic 4 banger coupled to a old 3 speed auto. What a POS drive train and rattle box.

I think a true mid sized van - maybe a foot longer than the NV200, tall enough for a dirt bike, and a 2.5L diesel that hit 40mpg hwy would be a hit. My 2.0L VW gets 44mpg towing a open AL trailer gets 44MPG with my bike on it. So I think its doable.
laser17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:54 PM   #29
DrKayak
Retro Rider

Oddometer: 667
I love these new Mercedes/Dodge vans. A friend has the shorter one in white and hauls a small caper trailer to events.

04 FZ1
DrKayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #30
Gordo83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Or .... Camp right at the event. It's a lot more fun and cheaper than a hotel.
just my 2 cents.
Gordo83 is offline   Reply With Quote