User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-02-2013, 02:56 AM   #46
windmills OP
Gnearly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Well done Australia, good to see some fight.
I thought England bowled pretty well on a batsman's pitch, stuck at it.
We might actually get 5 days out of this test!

I am an old (school) cricket lover, and would be happy if we returned to just having the umpire make the call.
I know. Aint going to happen.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:26 AM   #47
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 76,850
Providence smiles on the English. Saved by the rain.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:42 PM   #48
Oscar
Assburger

Oddometer: 16,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
Providence smiles on the English. Saved by the rain.
Providence smiles on me.
I've talked Herindoors into a trip to Melbourne on Boxing Day.
A coupla days at the cricket while she goes shopping...

“Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing.”

Clive James
Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:07 AM   #49
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,890
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:56 PM   #50
Oscar
Assburger

Silicon tape scandal!
Oh the humanity...

“Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing.”

Clive James
Old 08-08-2013, 05:01 PM   #51
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
Silicon tape scandal!
Oh the humanity...
There's a lot of things to like about Australians. Their petulance when they lose is not one of them.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:57 PM   #52
Oscar
Assburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
There's a lot of things to like about Australians. Their petulance when they lose is not one of them.
They seem to be very competitive in the area of trash journalism

The stupidity in this story (it was flashed as "breaking news" on the TV channel in question) is various:
  • Putting tape on yer cricket bat is not against the rules.
  • The tape would work against the batsman in a LBW appeal.
  • Pietersen was given out without a hotspot.
  • There is some doubt, and no proof that the tape will work.

And if any Aussies dare start crapping on about "the spirit of the game", please refer them to:
  • The underarm incident.
  • Dyer is a liar incident.
  • The sledging of Chris Cairns (Aussies making "choo choo" noises after Cairns' sister was killed in a train accident).
  • Etc, etc, etc..

Clive James
Old 08-08-2013, 06:32 PM   #53
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Silicon tape scandal!
Oh the humanity...
Again, what I find interesting is the awkward attempt to use electronic aids in officiating cricket. The technology clearly isn't there yet, the Indians are right about something for once, and the longer they use subpar technology the less people will trust any future technology, no matter how efficacious, because of these initial bad experiences. Once bitten, twice shy.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 08-08-2013, 06:36 PM   #54
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
Again, what I find interesting is the awkward attempt to use electronic aids in officiating cricket. The technology clearly isn't there yet, the Indians are right about something for once, and the longer they use subpar technology the less people will trust any future technology, no matter how efficacious, because of these initial bad experiences. Once bitten, twice shy.
The aids, with the exception of Hot Spot (which, someone correct me if I am wrong, is not used in an official capacity ?) work just fine. The problem is the interpretation of said aids by the umpires. The majority of elite umpires are either English/British or Australian. Some of those left to officiate during the present series are, shall we say, shite.

Once again....you talk crap.

p.s. someone quote me, Mr. Passive Aggressive doesn't like people who disagree with him
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 08-08-2013, 06:43 PM   #55
Oscar
Assburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
The aids, with the exception of Hot Spot (which, someone correct me if I am wrong, is not used in an official capacity ?) work just fine. The problem is the interpretation of said aids by the umpires. The majority of elite umpires are either English/British or Australian. Some of those left to officiate during the present series are, shall we say, shite.

Once again....you talk crap.

p.s. someone quote me, Mr. Passive Aggressive doesn't like people who disagree with him
The hotspot is in official use, it's the "snicko" that isn't (although the third umpire can listen to the stump mic).

The use of electronic aids is not (and I doubt will ever be) perfect, but it does mean that the margin of error is further reduced.

I can understand the Indians reluctance when it comes to hotspot and the LBW thingo, but for line calls (no balls, stumpings and run outs), catches and boundary calls the benefits are obvious.

Clive James
Old 08-08-2013, 06:45 PM   #56
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
The hotspot is in official use, it's the "snicko" that isn't (although the third umpire can listen to the stump mic).

The use of electronic aids is not (and I doubt will ever be) perfect, but it does mean that the margin of error is further reduced.

I can understand the Indians reluctance when it comes to hotspot and the LBW thingo, but for line calls (no balls, stumpings and run outs), catches and boundary calls the benefits are obvious.
Ah, thanks, I knew there was something the TV folks used but wasn't an 'official' aid.

I have no problem with the aids actually, they just need to be interpreted correctly. Oh, and challenges need to be handled correctly...are you listening Australia
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 08-09-2013, 01:53 AM   #57
windmills OP
Gnearly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
I certainly hope our ghosts leave Mr Watson alone this time, don't want to give channel 9 any more ammo.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:14 PM   #58
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:

The snickerdoodle is being upgraded to bring it closer to real time and to synchronize it with the visual aids. I'm a distant observer, but that technology seems more promising than hotspot.

But the reason I think they're playing with fire right now isn't purely the accuracy of the devices. What makes them work is confidence in them.

Tennis' HawkEye is accepted without question by everyone in the game. This, despite the fact that they have no idea if it's 100% accurate.

So why do they accept it? Because everyone in the sports has arrived at a compact: they will accept HawkEye as the final word. That trust, that acceptance, ends arguments and allows them to get on with the game.

The lesson is that these electronic aids only work when people agree that the results they produce are to be accepted without question. And right now that unanimity doesn't exist in cricket.

The longer they go using aids before they're ready, the more damage they do to the long-term viability of electronic aids in cricket. And that's because because everyone in the sport, including spectators, is losing confidence in them. And confidence is the key, the vital ingredient.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 08-09-2013, 07:53 PM   #59
wxwax
Excited Member

The founder of HawkEye says the same thing. Cricket has rushed electronic aids into service without adequate testing and before they're ready.

Quote:
"What cricket hasn't done as much as other sports is test anything," said Hawkins, speaking at the launch of the first foray by football into the world of technologically assisted officiating at the Emirates Stadium.

"This [football's Goal Decision System] has been very, very heavily tested whereas cricket's hasn't really undergone any testing. It's almost like it has tested it in live conditions so they are inheriting broadcast technology rather than developing officiating technology."

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 08-12-2013, 01:00 PM   #60
A. T. T-W
Can't be bothered.

Oddometer: 4,422
Fantastic Test.

I thought that the Aussies were going to take this one, their openers were brilliant, especially Warner. Had they won it still would have been a thoroughly enjoyable Test to watch.

On the technology. It's not really fair to compare it to tennis where the only call is on the line or not (same will apply when it's used on the goal line in football).

There's a hell of a lot of things to consider in an LBW decision.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: