User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2014, 07:08 PM   #1
Capnkt OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
CT-200 Rebuild W/ Lifan Swap

After picking up a 1971 C70 with 900 miles, and riding it with my son (12 years old). The bug has bitten both of us fully!

I wanted to get something that I could ride with him.

So....1964-66 CT-200, slightly battered and bruised.

I have disassembled the bike, sent it off to the powdercoaters.

A new Lifan 125CC semi has been ordered from Tbolt.

My son found the WWII themed CT-90 that was done by Tsunami Motorcycles and begged and pleaded for all of 2 seconds before I relented and agreed to do something similar.

I am planning to update the rear shocks & front springs, custom taillight, custom headlight, and the list goes on.

Questions:

Is the 125 CC Lifan a direct bolt on? Most of the reading I have done on here & elsewhere it appears so.

What do I need to do for the exhaust? Can I use the old muffler & order a new flange? If so what should I order? Thought about having something WWII period custom made for the heat sheild(s).

Can I set up the bike to run without a battery? Only need a headlight and tailight/brakelight.

Also thinking about having a "pedestrian cutter" plate made fro the front fender. Maybe a little smaller scale so it looks correct.

Do I need an adapter for the carb? Seems like I read in one of the threads I needed an adapter to offset the fitment.

I have joined a couple of the Yahoo groups. I would almost prefer Ebola over searching through their format! Painful way to search topics!

Quite frankly I have learned more from this forum than all of the others combined.

Thanks,

Kevin
Attached Images

Capnkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:03 PM   #2
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 4,091
Dr.ATV.com
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:56 PM   #3
Salsa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
"Can I set up the bike to run without a battery? Only need a headlight and tailight/brakelight."

Easy with a Lifan. Your engine should came with the coil and CDI . YOu will need an AC regulator.

Search for "pitbike" parts.

Don
Salsa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:00 PM   #4
Culcune
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
www.hooperimports.com

Hooper is a direct importer of Lifan parts and has a bunch of parts for transplants.

Also, join us on www.chinariders.net -- there are several people who know their way inside and out of all bikes/engines from China. There are a few members who have put Chinese engines into old Japanese bikes. Yes, relatively straightforward, but usually a couple minor things (major for me since I am not as mechanically inclined, but then again, I have not tried to transplant one of these Chinese mills into a classic Japanese bike).
Culcune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 05:57 PM   #5
4doora
Moped guy

Oddometer: 22
The bolt holes all line up, but you need to do some grinding/clearancing to make it fit. It's a good idea to allow a little extra space on the clutch cover side so you can get the clutch cover off without dropping the motor in the future (ask me how I figured that one out).
The stock exhaust wont line up. the 125 is longer than the original pushrod motor, and I believe the angle may be different too. On my 140, I mated an aftermarket pit bike exhaust with the stock pipe with a little hack & weld. You can just use a pitbike exhaust if you dont want to do any welding, and you don't mind the extra noise.
I wouldn't bother trying to use the original carburetor and intake. It's too small, and is going to be difficult to tune. You're better going with a mikuni and pitbike intake.
4doora is offline   Reply With Quote