Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2013, 05:39 AM   #46
MizzouRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,730
Day 5, Rocky Mountain House, AB to Fort Nelson, BC (700+ miles)
Here's a screen shot from Basecamp, it shows more detail than spot tracker or spotwalla. (Track for the day is RED)

We had made decent time earlier in the trip, and were about 150 miles ahead of schedule. However our day through Glacier, the flood detour, and traffic in Calgary, had put us behind. We took off from Rocky Mountain House wanting to catch up, but also wanting to head into the mountains.. The flood detour pushed out out into the flat lands..

We hit some nice gravel stuff just west of Rocky Mtn House.

This was a nice river crossing on the gravel cut through.

Then it turned into this..

It still wasn't too bad, just a bit dusty. I'm used to riding in back, but I hate dust.. I mean, I hate it.. I just back off a bit to I'm not in the worst of it. We did ride up on a grizzly, but I was pretty far back, and didn't get the camera out in time. I think the other three guys got it on the go-pro, maybe they will add a clip?
Then we sort of took a wrong turn..

The scale doesn't show it, but that is one gigantic truck rolling behind us. We were pretty much in their mine.. Fortunately, someone else was cutting through and squared us away. We had about 200 miles of gravel that day. Most was pretty good, but some, not so good. Lot's of dust..
We finally hit the Alaska Highway and started seeing some familiar landmarks..

Metal grate bridges.. I lost count of how many I crossed..

An attempted shot down through the grate..

Got a decent shot of a black bear.. (saw many more later in the trip.. Have some better pics.

That's is for pics that day. We made it into Fort Nelson later in the day. Hotel stay again.. For planning purposes, I would have got off the gravel a bit earlier. Tough to make time on some of those gravel roads when you are stuck behind logging trucks going slow in very dusty conditions..
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:12 AM   #47
MizzouRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Going to go on to Day 6.. Fort Nelson, BC to Whitehorse, YT (600 mi, approx)
Shot from Basecamp, our track is in red. We were on the Alaska Highway, pretty much, all day.

I didn't get a lot of pics this day. We did not see a lot of wildlife. It was another 600 mile day. We were pushing it. I was getting the itch to camp, so I brought it up to the group a time or two..
Here's another shot of a longer steel grate bridge. I don't know if the K-60s were worse than a 100% street tire or not. They weren't too bad. They did hop between ridges on the steel grates a bit, but not too bad.

We went through Watson Lake, and took the obligatory stop at the Sign Post Forest..

I was surprised at the size of the "forest" lot's of folks have brought signs up.. (I didn't)
Oh, and if the guys at the gas station recommend having lunch at the community center, ignore them.. Very slow for concession stand food. There's some cool spots in town..
After Watson Lake we ran into a few of these guys..

I'm getting better at riding and shooting pics.. The throttle lock helps..
Overcast day, but not a bad view for a gas stop..

This guy was parked there, I'm thinking it'll be good for the Swinging Bridges Ride in Missouri next year..

We did camp that night..

That's my bear spray by the tent.. Keeps Momma happy when she sees I'm being careful..
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
Old 07-15-2013, 07:10 AM   #48
Long Trail
adv dreamer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfs225 View Post
I'm a bit older than you at 70. But you will find your life divided into three stages.

1. You have the time and the energy, but no money.
2. You have the energy and the money, but no time.
3. You have the time and the money, but no energy.

There is always an excuse. Carpe Diem....

Well thanks for the outlook, it makes sense looking at it like that. I'm trying to figure out ways to experience new things for myself, however most all of our efforts go towards giving our children opportunities.

I do plan on seizing the day!!! I'm just not sure when that day will come around.
Long Trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:24 AM   #49
MizzouRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 7. Alaska! We went from Whitehorse, YT to Fairbanks, AK (600 mi approx.)
Once again, we followed the Alaska Highway.. Transitional day for me.. I began to get a bit frustrated with the group riding.. It's our 7th day on the road. We've been in hotels 5 of 6 nights, we are connected helmet to helmet. I guess I needed some time alone. I've got no excuse. I guess I was just being a jerk.. I asked the guys to ride on without me right before lunch. The feeling of doing my own ride was a relief. As I said before, I won't air the dirty laundry here, but it was just better that day alone. I didn't really leave the group until the next day. (I'll cover the details in the trip to Deadhorse on the next post.) I didn't decide to leave the group until the next day..
Our track is in RED again.

We started breaking camp after breakfast.. Bacon and eggs (Mountain House style, ha..) Plus Starbucks coffee! I'm on a BMW after all..

FYI, the instant Starbucks, still tastes a bit like instant..
We took off out of Whitehorse YT in the rain.. It cleared off pretty soon, and we could see mountains in the distance..

The closer we got, the better they looked..

This guy was eating grass along side the highway..

I was excited to get closer to these..

Then a Grizzly decided to take a walk by the road.. Hmmm, gotta get that pic. (he's there, you may have to zoom in.. I decided I was close enough)

Then a moose shot.. Just got her backside, I was holding up the group. Someone would ride back to check on me when I stopped. Had to give them the thumbs up, to show them I was ok.. (we had seen a big bull moose earlier, but I couldn't get the camera out fast enough, and couldn't stop..)

After a pretty long construction delay, and some slow moving traffic, we made it. I did see a Bald Eagle sitting out on top of a big beaver den, actually a pretty cool shot, but it didn't come out..

My first reactions were mixed.. It was HOT.. Not exactly what I was expecting. It was also a bit crowded, felt a little like Disney World must feel.. I've never been there.. (Not big on crowds) We waited in line and got a pic.. Not long after this, I asked the group not to check on me anymore if I was picture taking. My bike was running fine, I told them I'd be fine, and see em in Fairbanks at the University dorm..
Here's a few pics from the trip over.. It was VERY smokey. Lot's of fires. I had two big jets come over me with those big belly tanks to hold whatever it is they dump on the fires. I could see the shadows of mountains off to my left, but I couldn't see any detail. Just too much smoke.

Crossed several rivers like this (or the same one several times..) Very wide, appear not too deep, but were really moving in spots..

That's it for the pics this day..
The last thing I'll say is about the dorm.. If it's hot, I wouldn't stay there. I did talk with a guy that got a room on the shady side of the dorm, and it was better. Our room was 80 to 90 degrees. It didn't cool off, and it didn't get dark. If I had it to do over again, I'd have stayed somewhere else. I think on a typical Alaska cool evening, it would be a great deal. We did get laundry done..
As we were sitting outside trying to find a cool spot, and waiting for a pizza to get delivered, I said something about getting up at midnight and taking off, if I couldn't sleep.. Nobody reacted to the comment..
Stay tuned.. Tomorrow it's the Dalton,, the hard way..
Old 07-15-2013, 07:36 AM   #50
lfs225
Can Am Rider

Oddometer: 296
riding with a crowd

When it comes to riding motorcycles.........

One is one, two's a half and three is none. I just feels better by yourself. I mean, that's why we ride, isn't it? To be at one with the road. To do it your way and to worry about no one but yourself.

Maybe I'm just too much of a loner....

Great ride report. Been there. In the rain.

lfs225 screwed with this post 07-15-2013 at 09:39 AM
lfs225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:39 AM   #51
MizzouRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Trail View Post
Well thanks for the outlook, it makes sense looking at it like that. I'm trying to figure out ways to experience new things for myself, however most all of our efforts go towards giving our children opportunities.

I do plan on seizing the day!!! I'm just not sure when that day will come around.
I've lost three friends the last few years, two to cancer, and one to heart disease.. It upped the desire in me to get out and do this.. I was fortunate to ride in Co, Ut, and Wy with four guys last year..
I do have all three kids through school and pretty much on their own.
I guess I'm saying, don't wait. There's no doubt, I can't do some of the stuff at 59, that I could do at 49... 39 is hard to remember..
Old 07-15-2013, 08:08 AM   #52
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,033
Riding with a group can get old for anyone. I went on a ride a few years ago with some guys I go to church with. I love them all like brothers, but after about 5 days there were definitely some cracks. Some were tired, they wanted a rest day,a nd then start back. I for one was not about to turn back until I had reached the goal (Yellowstone). I did agree to the rest day, though, and that cost me the time I had wanted to spend at Yellowstone. So about half way through the trip, 5 started back (via Colorado) and 5 went on from the Black Hills. Then after a couple more days, I just wanted to be alone, so I said my goodbyes and took off. Two others did the same thing. It was the right thing to do.

We're all big boys and girls. We all have our own transportation, and our own funds. Hand holding is not required.

By the way, I still see those guys quite often. We still go to church together, and we still ride together.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:09 AM   #53
toypro1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRider View Post
I've lost three friends the last few years, two to cancer, and one to heart disease.. It upped the desire in me to get out and do this.. I do have all three kids through school and pretty much on their own.
I guess I'm saying, don't wait. There's no doubt, I can't do some of the stuff at 59, that I could do at 49... 39 is hard to remember..
I am right there with you - do it while you are able

really enjoying the RR

how did the tires last?

Dan
GL 1800
1200s Bandit sold
DRZ 400E Plated sold
FJ 1200 gave to son
toypro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:51 PM   #54
KWC
aka "Canadian Karl"

Oddometer: 873
munch munch munch

Vinicius de Moraes
KWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:58 PM   #55
mroddis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Subscribed

Subscribed.

Planning on a trip to Inuvik next summer and was worried about only having 2 weeks from Vancouver, BC.
Given your accomplishment, I have no excuses....

M.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:12 PM   #56
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by mroddis View Post
Subscribed.

Planning on a trip to Inuvik next summer and was worried about only having 2 weeks from Vancouver, BC.
Given your accomplishment, I have no excuses....

M.
Jeff is an Animal !

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:43 PM   #57
MizzouRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
Riding with a group can get old for anyone. I went on a ride a few years ago with some guys I go to church with. I love them all like brothers, but after about 5 days there were definitely some cracks. Some were tired, they wanted a rest day,a nd then start back. I for one was not about to turn back until I had reached the goal (Yellowstone). I did agree to the rest day, though, and that cost me the time I had wanted to spend at Yellowstone. So about half way through the trip, 5 started back (via Colorado) and 5 went on from the Black Hills. Then after a couple more days, I just wanted to be alone, so I said my goodbyes and took off. Two others did the same thing. It was the right thing to do.

We're all big boys and girls. We all have our own transportation, and our own funds. Hand holding is not required.

By the way, I still see those guys quite often. We still go to church together, and we still ride together.

I'm hoping we'll still be friends when the dust settles..
Old 07-15-2013, 06:47 PM   #58
MizzouRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toypro1 View Post
I am right there with you - do it while you are able

really enjoying the RR

how did the tires last?

Dan
Dan,
The tires would have made it (the whole trip) if I'd have stayed with the original route, but I added another 1,000 miles. I ended up replacing the rear in Sturgis at 8,900 miles.. It was pretty bald, an squared off.
Overall I'm ok with the K-60s, if I would have run into bad weather on some of the gravel/dirt roads, I'd have appreciated them a bit more.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:56 AM   #59
MizzouRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 8 Fairbanks, AK - Deadhorse, AK - Fairbanks, AK (992 mi approx.)
Yes, you read that right.. I went up and back on Friday, June 28..
No reason, no idea why, I just did it..

It felt like 90 degrees in the dorm. I got up at midnight, and was on the road shortly after that.. I still wasn't sure what my plan was. I just knew that laying there, cooking, wasn't what I wanted from an Alaska trip.. I should have taken my camping stuff. Big mistake.. I should have left a note, but didn't, another big mistake.. I was tired, pissed off, frustrated, and obviously not thinking real clearly. So I got on the bike and took off.. (idiot mode)
This is about 1:00 am on the Elliott. I guess it was dark enough to trigger the flash
A little later, I got my first look at the pipeline. I thought, "I really am doing this."

Then the Dalton.. Here's how I was thinking.. They have that sign up high so guys will quit putting stickers on it. Now I'm thinking it a snow thing..

I could have parked in the middle of the road.. Not too much traffic between 1 and 2 in the morning. Just a few idiots out there.
I ran the HIDs anyway. Paranoid that I'd plow into bambi, or worse. No one's coming along for a while.

I was VERY
fortunate. Clear day, smooth road, I could have run it at 100..

Before I knew it, I'd crossed the bridge..

Then the arctic circle! At least the sun was coming up..

Actually, I was pretty damn happy to be riding this road. I'd thought about it so many times..

Funny growth up here. Just not much survives.

The biggest surprise was the ease of the road. Believe me, I knew I was lucky to not have rain, but quite a bit is paved.. In fact, it got a little tedious..

Then it hit me.. Two hours sleep.. No morning coffee.. Heavy eyes. No matter what I tried, I wasn't staying awake. So I pulled over. The Mosquitoes were unbelievable. If I lifted the face shield, they were on me. In my nose, mouth, ears, and eyes in a heartbeat. Can't stop, can't ride. I left the helmet on, gloves on, collar pulled up, sat down leaned against the bike and slept. Not sure how long, but I felt better, and didn't get bit by a mosquito, or eaten by a bear. Time to push on.
I had breakfast at Coldfoot Camp.
It was a lifesaver. It's a great buffet, I drank coffee, and had several glasses of water, the cinnamon oatmeal pancakes, and steak omelet.. No pics, nothing was on the plate long enough.

This must be Atigun Pass?!

Yep.. I've seen it on T.V. too! Ha..
Got to get a pic or two of the mosquito covered bike up here..

This shows the dust, but I'd also read about pulling off when these guys roll by. It was dusty, but the rocks weren't flying like I had anticipated. Once again, I was lucky with the weather. I'd actually stopped to leave some coffee behind.

It does flatten out a bit after you are through the mountains.

I was still blessed with good roads. (over the shoulder shot. I could have used a longer shoelace on the camera)

I made great time.. Got caught in some construction traffic, and had to wait a while. They moved me to the front both times. I like that.
Then about 50 miles from Deadhorse, they had the graders out. BigDon had warned me about them.. I ended up back and forth between 1st and second gear in the slime. What a mess, I actually thought, they must want to limit traffic coming into Deadhorse. It'd be easy to dump a big bike in that stuff. I didn't get a pic of it. I should have, but I didn't want to stop. This is still the easy stuff.

Then, I could see it up ahead..

I gassed up, got my pictures, and stickers.. Not a whole lot to do around there. I had a room reserved, but it was just past lunch time.. Crap.. The mosquitoes were even worse there, if that's possible. I didn't know where our rooms were reserved. I should have maybe thought about that.. I felt great, probably some adrenalin from making it to Deadhorse.. I just decided to head back. I know, but it made sense at the time.. Uneventful trip back to Fairbanks.. I saw my riding buddies (just two of three??) heading up. I waved at them and stopped, but they kept going. I wanted to explain my thoughts and plans, I think they just thought I was another guy on a BMW just waving.. Either that, or they weren't in a talking mood. Don't know..

I would have camped at Coldfoot if I'd have brought my tent. But I was paying $100 for a night in Deadhorse, I wasn't using, $20 for a night in Fairbanks. It would have been another $200 for a night in Coldfoot.. $320 for the night!! I'm a tight bas%#@*.. This was never a consideration. I was pushing on to Fairbanks..
Went by some fires along the road. Pretty close. You could really smell the smoke.

When I got back to the dorm. There was nobody there from our crew.. I was dead on my feet, even the heat, and the daylight couldn't keep me awake.. Crashed for the night. It was close to two in the morning. I'd been going for 26 hours..
Tomorrow, I'd decided, I wasn't going to hang around Fairbanks all day waiting for the others to come back from Deadhorse.. I would be on my own.. That's when I made my biggest mistake of the trip, I never sat down and explained my thoughts to Gary. It's all on me, I should have. No excuses.
I'm afraid it influenced his trip, and his enjoyment of the trip, in a negative way. Bothers me still.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:13 AM   #60
CamelBill
Ride It!

Oddometer: 455
Sleepless in Alaska . . .

Sometimes you just gotta go when YOU are ready. Understandable and forgivable given the circumstances, we have all been there. Don't sweat it Looking forward to the rest of the report.
CO Single Track RR http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post24875020
CamelBill is online now   Reply With Quote