Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 12:52 PM   #1
Mtl_Biker OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
How to sell GPS w/Lifetime Maps?

I'm selling one of my bikes, a BMW K1300GT and trying to decide whether or not to sell my BMW NavIV (Zumo 660) with it or to keep it. I have Lifetime Map upgrades for it and I wonder if that presents any problems when/if I sell the unit.

I seem to recall reading that the Lifetime Maps were tied to not only a specific unit but also a specific person. If that's the case, it's awful!

How can I sell my GPS allowing the new owner to continue those Lifetime updates?

Thanks!
Mtl_Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:49 PM   #2
NickBrewer3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl_Biker View Post
I'm selling one of my bikes, a BMW K1300GT and trying to decide whether or not to sell my BMW NavIV (Zumo 660) with it or to keep it. I have Lifetime Map upgrades for it and I wonder if that presents any problems when/if I sell the unit.

I seem to recall reading that the Lifetime Maps were tied to not only a specific unit but also a specific person. If that's the case, it's awful!

How can I sell my GPS allowing the new owner to continue those Lifetime updates?

Thanks!
I don't think you can legally, but I suppose if you wanted to hand over your Garmin account and password to the new owner they could continue to update the maps....
NickBrewer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:53 PM   #3
Mtl_Biker OP
Studly Adventurer

Can't legally what? Sell my GPS? Somehow transfer the Lifetime maps along with the unit? Or are you talking about handing over my Garmin account to the new owner? That's something I have no intention of doing as I have half a dozen different GPS units (more actually) and I'm not giving those up.

If the Lifetime Maps are associated only with the specific unit then it would make sense (but software doesn't always) that this should be possible. But if it's to ME and to the unit, that's pretty unfair I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickBrewer3 View Post
I don't think you can legally, but I suppose if you wanted to hand over your Garmin account and password to the new owner they could continue to update the maps....
Old 07-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #4
NickBrewer3
Adventurer

Quote:
Can't legally what? Sell my GPS? Somehow transfer the Lifetime maps along with the unit? Or are you talking about handing over my Garmin account to the new owner? That's something I have no intention of doing as I have half a dozen different GPS units (more actually) and I'm not giving those up.

If the Lifetime Maps are associated only with the specific unit then it would make sense (but software doesn't always) that this should be possible. But if it's to ME and to the unit, that's pretty unfair I think.
Software (maps) is licensed to you according to the terms the provider offers and you accept when you download the first time, the Garmin Lifetime Maps license says that the license is only good for the particular unit and the original owner of the lifetime subscription, so legally you cannot transfer your license rights to the person who purchases your hardware. Are there ways around it, probably, but not legally...
Old 07-11-2013, 03:22 PM   #5
Mtl_Biker OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks very much. I have no desire at all to do anything illegal in this regard.

I am frustrated though with Garmin's restrictive licensing... I wish it would be more like a great many software packages, in that it is licensed to a person or company but you can install it on your home and laptop computers. I think that's pretty fair. With Garmin, it's licensed to a person AND a specific GPS. And if you upgrade your GPS, you don't have the option of UNinstalling it from your old unit and reinstalling it on the new one. Again, something that you can do with the majority of software.

So, I can sell the GPS unit to someone, and if they then want to pay for the Lifetime updates, is that something that can be easily done? Or do I have to take some sort of steps to DE-register the unit first?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickBrewer3 View Post
Software (maps) is licensed to you according to the terms the provider offers and you accept when you download the first time, the Garmin Lifetime Maps license says that the license is only good for the particular unit and the original owner of the lifetime subscription, so legally you cannot transfer your license rights to the person who purchases your hardware. Are there ways around it, probably, but not legally...
Old 07-11-2013, 03:53 PM   #6
NickBrewer3
Adventurer

BTW, I agree with you, but I also looked into this with my old Garmin Nuvi 750 with Lifetime Maps.

If I were to purchase a new Garmin GPS I would have to purchase a new Lifetime Maps subscription for it because I am changing units.

And then if I were to give/sell my old Nuvi 750 to someone else, they would not be able to update the maps on it unless they purchase the Lifetime Maps subscription, even though that unit has a Lifetime Maps subscription because they are not the original subscriber.

And I am 100% sure this violates Garmins licensing agreement and is therefore illegal, the only way I can think of to circumvent this would be to give the new owner access to your Garmin account.

Kind of why I probably won't replace my Nuvi 750 until it completely dies on me, which is pretty short sighted of Garmin in my opinion....
Old 07-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #7
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,288
Wicked Maybe this

One workaround would be if the new owner lived close by. Then the new owner could get the old owner to update the maps as req'd. Leave Garmin thinking that the unit had never changed hands. Just a thought.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:52 AM   #8
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,863
Quote:
Thanks very much. I have no desire at all to do anything illegal in this regard.

I am frustrated though with Garmin's restrictive licensing... I wish it would be more like a great many software packages, in that it is licensed to a person or company but you can install it on your home and laptop computers. I think that's pretty fair. With Garmin, it's licensed to a person AND a specific GPS. And if you upgrade your GPS, you don't have the option of UNinstalling it from your old unit and reinstalling it on the new one. Again, something that you can do with the majority of software.

So, I can sell the GPS unit to someone, and if they then want to pay for the Lifetime updates, is that something that can be easily done? Or do I have to take some sort of steps to DE-register the unit first?
The licensing you agreed to when you purchased Lifetime Updates said it was specific to the unit, and to you. You had a choice to purchase it under those terms.

The alternative was to buy a new single license disk.

You can sell the unit with the current map data. When the new person wants to update it, unless you want to share your Garmin account with them, they will have to buy a new update.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:05 AM   #9
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,629
Quote:
What did the Garmin customer service rep tell you when you called?
Old 07-13-2013, 09:36 AM   #10
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
What did the Garmin customer service rep tell you when you called?
Bend over.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:04 AM   #11
Steve Hunt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Also, just to clarify the point of the comment that lifetime maps are tied to a particular S/N. if you have lifetime maps for a S/N and that units totally dies a week after the warranty period and you purchase the same model reconditioned unit or even a new replacement of the same model you are also SOL with the lifetime maps. you gotta buy em again.
Steve Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:31 PM   #12
Mtl_Biker OP
Studly Adventurer

Just to clarify that... there's apparently a difference (from what you report) between replacing a unit AFTER warranty or having a unit replaced DURING warranty.

I have twice had Garmin GPS units replaced under warranty and both times the lifetime maps license was transferred without problem.

Real bummer though if after warranty the license cannot be transferred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hunt View Post
Also, just to clarify the point of the comment that lifetime maps are tied to a particular S/N. if you have lifetime maps for a S/N and that units totally dies a week after the warranty period and you purchase the same model reconditioned unit or even a new replacement of the same model you are also SOL with the lifetime maps. you gotta buy em again.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:32 PM   #13
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,712
I bought a used navigator IV and when I plugged it into my computer and basecamp, it automatically updated to the new maps and said it had lifetime free updates. The seller didn't mention that, and it seems the lifetime updates are tied to the GPS unit and not the original owner.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:37 PM   #14
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hunt View Post
Not true. I had this happen. Bought Lifetime Maps and two months later the unit died. Garmin transferred my Lifetime maps to my replacement unit at no charge. And the old unit was about 4 years out of warranty...

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:25 PM   #15
HMR
Alps & Dirt Roads

Oddometer: 134
What a lot of people do that works fine is to use an unique owner name for each GPS and LifeTime. I use the registration code, ie XZFHTES, for a gmail account XZFHTES@gmail.com with password xzfhtes. Then i register the unit, and LifeTime, at garmin.com using a fake name as "Donald Duck" with a fake addres as "Far side of moon" and password xzfhtes.

Finaly I store a file login.txt containing the logindata in the GPS memory.

When I sell a GPS I just attach the login data and the new owner gets all future map updates.

I can't see any advantage whatsoever to register more than one GPS in the same name.

Since I never check the GPS mailboxes I also avoid spam from Garmin.