ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-21-2014, 04:46 PM   #151
joexr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: S.E.
Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean-0 View Post
a little bit of wee just came out
A little Suzuki?
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:57 PM   #152
ODSC1
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ODSC1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: Ontario Canada
Oddometer: 190
Nice job with your XR! I admire your attention to detail. I'm just in the process of doing a complete rebuild of my XR. It'll be clean when its done but no where near to what your bike is. I think if I ever got it close to what you've done with yours I'd never ride it.

I remember some of the 1x bikes having an oil sight tube and a special filler in place of the oil filler cap that allowed the pit crew to add oil while the bike was still running.

Brian
ODSC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:18 PM   #153
Lostsaffa OP
Half Man Half BRP
 
Lostsaffa's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Cannon Hill, Brisbane
Oddometer: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODSC1 View Post
Nice job with your XR! I admire your attention to detail. I'm just in the process of doing a complete rebuild of my XR. It'll be clean when its done but no where near to what your bike is. I think if I ever got it close to what you've done with yours I'd never ride it.

I remember some of the 1x bikes having an oil sight tube and a special filler in place of the oil filler cap that allowed the pit crew to add oil while the bike was still running.

Brian
Thanks Brian, riding it is becoming less and less of a good idea for sure!

I have not come across a 1x bike with the oil sight tube, but I know Mouse McCoy used one on his 'Dust to Glory' bike. Maybe some of the 1x bikes from the other Score races had the tube, not too sure. XRsOnly had them on their baja 1000 bikes too.
__________________
Blog: XR650R.Blogspot.com
FB Page: https://www.facebook.com/BajaXR650R
Lostsaffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:22 PM   #154
joexr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: S.E.
Oddometer: 3,773
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostsaffa View Post
riding it is becoming less and less of a good idea for sure!
What good is the goddam bike if you're not going to ride it? It's only a look alike.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:25 PM   #155
Lostsaffa OP
Half Man Half BRP
 
Lostsaffa's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Cannon Hill, Brisbane
Oddometer: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
What good is the goddam bike if you're not going to ride it? It's only a look alike.
It will be used, just not as much as before. It's a little more than a look alike, it has a few original bits on it which cannot be replaced.

Put simply it is worth preserving in my opinion.
__________________
Blog: XR650R.Blogspot.com
FB Page: https://www.facebook.com/BajaXR650R
Lostsaffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:41 PM   #156
duckfart
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Oddometer: 31
Where did you get that rear fender bracket?
duckfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:04 PM   #157
Lostsaffa OP
Half Man Half BRP
 
Lostsaffa's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Cannon Hill, Brisbane
Oddometer: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckfart View Post
Where did you get that rear fender bracket?
That is the OEM bracket for the Australian/European/South African XR650R.
__________________
Blog: XR650R.Blogspot.com
FB Page: https://www.facebook.com/BajaXR650R
Lostsaffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:38 PM   #158
johnno950
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Oddometer: 979
Looks terrific,are you going to get the lights etc that they used for the night sections?they looked mean as.
johnno950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:52 PM   #159
Jayrod1318
Poster
 
Jayrod1318's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Here and there and stuff.
Oddometer: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostsaffa View Post
That is the OEM bracket for the Australian/European/South African XR650R.
Curious about that too. We don't get to see the world version of the bike often.
__________________
Jayrod1318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:16 PM   #160
duckfart
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostsaffa View Post
That is the OEM bracket for the Australian/European/South African XR650R.
Would you happen to have a part # for it?
duckfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:02 PM   #161
Sean-0
Closed
 
Sean-0's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Oztraya Mate
Oddometer: 4,203
i f you want to use the Fender support .. you will also need the subframe to suit
Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:12 PM   #162
ODSC1
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ODSC1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: Ontario Canada
Oddometer: 190
I found this photo from the 2003 1x bike showing the oil sight tube and the special oil fill hose.

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/a...ning_cycle.jpg

One of your pics?

Brian


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostsaffa View Post
Thanks Brian, riding it is becoming less and less of a good idea for sure!

I have not come across a 1x bike with the oil sight tube, but I know Mouse McCoy used one on his 'Dust to Glory' bike. Maybe some of the 1x bikes from the other Score races had the tube, not too sure. XRsOnly had them on their baja 1000 bikes too.
ODSC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:29 PM   #163
Lostsaffa OP
Half Man Half BRP
 
Lostsaffa's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Cannon Hill, Brisbane
Oddometer: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean-0 View Post
i f you want to use the Fender support .. you will also need the subframe to suit
True, the part number for the bracket is 84710-mbn-651

And it looks like this:

http://auctions.c.yimg.jp/img323.auc...t8wf329000.jpg
__________________
Blog: XR650R.Blogspot.com
FB Page: https://www.facebook.com/BajaXR650R
Lostsaffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:33 PM   #164
Lostsaffa OP
Half Man Half BRP
 
Lostsaffa's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Cannon Hill, Brisbane
Oddometer: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODSC1 View Post
I found this photo from the 2003 1x bike showing the oil sight tube and the special oil fill hose.

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/a...ning_cycle.jpg

One of your pics?

Brian
Well I'll be damned...I must have looked at that photo a million times and never took notice. My bike is the later 2005 1x bike and didn't have that setup, but that 2003 bike definitely does have the site tube and something else going on by the filler as you explained!
__________________
Blog: XR650R.Blogspot.com
FB Page: https://www.facebook.com/BajaXR650R
Lostsaffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:36 AM   #165
Lostsaffa OP
Half Man Half BRP
 
Lostsaffa's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Cannon Hill, Brisbane
Oddometer: 612
Mini Update

Unfortunately the order I am waiting for to finish the build has yet to arrive so I have been finding small odds and ends to do on the bike. Today I temporarily tightened both wheels to create a rolling bike for the first time since 2012!

I managed to find the silver Renthal Fatbars at a local shop so I fitted them to help wheel the bike around for a few photos. Nothing too major in these photos but just some different angles and most notably the introduction of '1x' race numbers. The bike is officially now a 1x replica....at last

(Excuse the quality of the photos but they were taken with my phone)









__________________
Blog: XR650R.Blogspot.com
FB Page: https://www.facebook.com/BajaXR650R
Lostsaffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014