User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2013, 02:55 PM   #76
mung
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Bat wing

In the pictures above that is my batwing next to the Ohlins shock.Have had that batwing on both my 2000 and now on my 2005.2000 motor was stock with no restrictors and it made the bike easier to start and very smooth feeling.The 05 motor has been built considerably stronger but is easy to start,idles perfect and lugs very smoothly.The biggest difference I notice is with the jetting.Riding Idaho at 5-10k feet and Baja the only difference in jetting is Baja I use a 180 main and in Idaho I use a 175.The rest does not change.The jetting now seems to suit a wide variety of altitudes and temps.I bought this batwing from PC in spring of 2000 so it is one of the originals that supposedly were identical to the ones HRC was using.The metal screen right behind the airfilter has also been changed from the stock metal mesh to a perforated plate that fits where the original mesh was.
mung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #77
Lostsaffa OP
Half Man Half BRP

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by mung View Post
In the pictures above that is my batwing next to the Ohlins shock.Have had that batwing on both my 2000 and now on my 2005.2000 motor was stock with no restrictors and it made the bike easier to start and very smooth feeling.The 05 motor has been built considerably stronger but is easy to start,idles perfect and lugs very smoothly.The biggest difference I notice is with the jetting.Riding Idaho at 5-10k feet and Baja the only difference in jetting is Baja I use a 180 main and in Idaho I use a 175.The rest does not change.The jetting now seems to suit a wide variety of altitudes and temps.I bought this batwing from PC in spring of 2000 so it is one of the originals that supposedly were identical to the ones HRC was using.The metal screen right behind the airfilter has also been changed from the stock metal mesh to a perforated plate that fits where the original mesh was.
Hi mung, thanks for that insight. I had heard about the backfire screen being different but apparently (from something I read online) some people had their air boxes catch on fire! I guess that depends on setup etc. but XR's Only sell or used to sell a screen like that, I assume it was made for their Baja team bikes.

Do you use the 68s pilot with your 05 XRR? I was thinking a 180 would be a good starting point, so it's good to hear that works for you.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:58 PM   #78
radbrad511
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Keep the backfire screen! Dont know about then but, now Johnny insists on using the screen. Yes, bikes have caught fire!!!
radbrad511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:13 PM   #79
mung
Studly Adventurer

I do use a 68s,HRC needle in second clip.The plate would protect the inside of the air filter. There have been no flames for 70k miles so I am assuming it is ok.Lostaffa Have you talked to Applied ? I had a set of those triple clamps on my 2000 and I got them from Applied.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:41 PM   #80
Lostsaffa OP
Half Man Half BRP

Quote:
I do use a 68s,HRC needle in second clip.The plate would protect the inside of the air filter. There have been no flames for 70k miles so I am assuming it is ok.Lostaffa Have you talked to Applied ? I had a set of those triple clamps on my 2000 and I got them from Applied.
I did contact Applied when I saw they made blue ones, but they no longer do them for a Scott's top mount damper unfortunately.

I'm just going to have to go with the black BRP ones until I find some blue ones.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:50 AM   #81
mung
Studly Adventurer

So anything new?
Old 11-20-2013, 11:52 AM   #82
Lostsaffa OP
Half Man Half BRP

Quote:
So anything new?
Hi mung! a few minor bits only like a Ironman front sprocket (I decided to break from the Renthal for better longevity), new swing arm linkage bearings and I fitted one of the XR's Only air box mod kits to the side cover:

I'm still waiting on the forks from the suspension shop, and once they come back I will be forced to bite the bullet on the triple clamps and Scott's damper.....
Old 11-21-2013, 08:40 AM   #83
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,226
The XR 650R number plate just looks proper when its modded that way. If you want to use a candy blue powder coat instead of anodizing on the triples let me know. My buddy does some insane powder coat work and he has a Candy Blue that looks better than anodizing.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009935
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:51 AM   #84
mung
Studly Adventurer

If you are running a hotter cam than stock the airbox cover cutouts work very well.They do allow more dust to get to the air filter.To help with that I have long strips of duct tape on my front fender.If we need to ride through a silt field or it is going to be a very dusty day I just tape over the vents.Seems to help keep the airfilter cleaner when you are swimming in silt.Good choice on sprockets-my set is at more than 30k miles and they look fine.Got almost 40k miles from the first set.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:44 AM   #85
Lostsaffa OP
Half Man Half BRP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbed06 View Post
The XR 650R number plate just looks proper when its modded that way. If you want to use a candy blue powder coat instead of anodizing on the triples let me know. My buddy does some insane powder coat work and he has a Candy Blue that looks better than anodizing.
Thanks bobbed, that may be a good solution! I'm assuming you can powder coat directly over anodizing? (The ones I will buy come black anodized I think)
Old 11-21-2013, 11:49 AM   #86
Lostsaffa OP
Half Man Half BRP

Quote:
If you are running a hotter cam than stock the airbox cover cutouts work very well.They do allow more dust to get to the air filter.To help with that I have long strips of duct tape on my front fender.If we need to ride through a silt field or it is going to be a very dusty day I just tape over the vents.Seems to help keep the airfilter cleaner when you are swimming in silt.Good choice on sprockets-my set is at more than 30k miles and they look fine.Got almost 40k miles from the first set.
Yeah I'm running the stage 1 and the combo with the T4 and the air box mod before I started the build was great in the mid to top end.

That's a great idea on the tape, I hadn't thought of that! That's some incredible mileage on the Ironman's, even half of that for me would be an improvement. I'm going to run the expensive DID that the Baja bike ran so hopefully that will last just as long.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #87
mung
Studly Adventurer

Needless to say I am very happy with my Ironman stuff.My trick is to never lube them.If I ride next to the ocean or in salt flats then I rinse the chain in WD-40.Every once in awhile I take the masterlink apart and grease the pins but other than that it gets no lube.Gently brush off if it gets muddy.I usually make it from Tecate to Cabo in 15 to 18 hundred miles with no chain adjustments.Saw that you live in the Brisbane area.In 1980-81 I worked at Geoff Udys Suzuki/BMW shop in Toowoomba.You have great riding in your area.

mung screwed with this post 11-21-2013 at 02:09 PM
Old 11-22-2013, 03:16 AM   #88
Lostsaffa OP
Half Man Half BRP

Quote:
Needless to say I am very happy with my Ironman stuff.My trick is to never lube them.If I ride next to the ocean or in salt flats then I rinse the chain in WD-40.Every once in awhile I take the masterlink apart and grease the pins but other than that it gets no lube.Gently brush off if it gets muddy.I usually make it from Tecate to Cabo in 15 to 18 hundred miles with no chain adjustments.Saw that you live in the Brisbane area.In 1980-81 I worked at Geoff Udys Suzuki/BMW shop in Toowoomba.You have great riding in your area.
That's interesting, I have always been an advocate for 80/90 gear oil as per the manual with regular cleans, but not lubing at all is revolutionary for me! I will give it a go.

Yeah there is some beautiful riding here, fewer and fewer places all the time but compared to Europe where I lived before, it is heaven! It's easy to find the fast wide open riding I love, whilst most bikers are caught up in tight wood sections, it means there's room to open up the big XR :)
Old 11-22-2013, 04:10 AM   #89
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostsaffa View Post
Thanks bobbed, that may be a good solution! I'm assuming you can powder coat directly over anodizing? (The ones I will buy come black anodized I think)
Yeah, he can powder anodized parts. PM me when you decide what you wanna do and I will send you his info and a gallery of work.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009935
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:22 AM   #90
NovaMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Very nice bike! I love watching these builds :)
NovaMoto is offline   Reply With Quote