Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2013, 07:25 AM   #91
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostsaffa View Post
That's interesting, I have always been an advocate for 80/90 gear oil as per the manual with regular cleans, but not lubing at all is revolutionary for me! I will give it a go.

Yeah there is some beautiful riding here, fewer and fewer places all the time but compared to Europe where I lived before, it is heaven! It's easy to find the fast wide open riding I love, whilst most bikers are caught up in tight wood sections, it means there's room to open up the big XR :)

I am starting to go this direction myself, mostly because I am lazy. But I do question the effectiveness of lubing an o-ring chain. If the o-rings are working, the oil isn't doing anything but maybe keeping the o-rings soft.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:44 AM   #92
mung
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
My experience with O ring chains is the less lube you put on the outside the longer the chain will last.It has all the lube it needs already there on the inside where it is needed.Anything that is put on the outside usually attracts dirt and makes a good grinding compound to work on the O rings.If it does get mucky I let it dry,take a soft brush[toothbrush?] and clean it up and spritz with wd40.The newer chains that have a plating on the exposed metal make them easy to maintain and keep most of the corrosion at bay.
mung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:29 AM   #93
Lostsaffa OP
Half Man Half BRP

Oddometer: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by mung View Post
My experience with O ring chains is the less lube you put on the outside the longer the chain will last.It has all the lube it needs already there on the inside where it is needed.Anything that is put on the outside usually attracts dirt and makes a good grinding compound to work on the O rings.If it does get mucky I let it dry,take a soft brush[toothbrush?] and clean it up and spritz with wd40.The newer chains that have a plating on the exposed metal make them easy to maintain and keep most of the corrosion at bay.
Would the WD40 not just wash out the grease from the O-rings?
Old 11-25-2013, 10:09 AM   #94
mung
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
Not in my experience.The seal between the 0 ring and side plates is quite tight.I have taken an old 0 ring chain apart and usually there is still the original lube there in good shape.If the chain is washed with high pressure I would say you could force water or solvent past the 0 rings and then eventually you would have trouble.I use the wd for a rinse to get the salt and alkali off the chain,not as a lube.
mung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:25 AM   #95
AlpinaE24
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 498
Very cool build, I have this hanging in my garage

2000 XR650R - Plated - Sold
2000 XR600R - Sold
AlpinaE24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:02 PM   #96
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpinaE24 View Post

Cool find. From 2005?

Quote:
Fielding a second factory team for the first time in three years, Honda’s so-called ‘B’ team will consist of talented young riders Robby Bell, 20, Murrieta, California, and Kendall Norman, 21, Santa Barbara, California, on the No. 4x Honda XR650R.
Unfortunately, Bell's team had problems this year, kind of like last year with the blown motor, Dave Pearson ran out of gas, then Robby broke a hub. Couple that with KC66, and well....

crypto666 screwed with this post 11-25-2013 at 04:45 PM
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:17 PM   #97
Lostsaffa OP
Half Man Half BRP

Quote:

Nice, in my research I have not found any team honda (1x or 4x) XR's running an unmodified side cover, I would be interested to find out when this one is from.

Yeah it was a very tragic race this year, very hard to take in the positives of the race over the tragedy.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:17 PM   #98
AlpinaE24
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 498
Quote:
Nice, in my research I have not found any team honda (1x or 4x) XR's running an unmodified side cover, I would be interested to find out when this one is from.

Yeah it was a very tragic race this year, very hard to take in the positives of the race over the tragedy.

Yeah I don't know, I bought a ton of stuff from the rider Eric Brown. I got a complete truck load of stuff from him and found some random Baja stuff. He has some videos on YouTube of riding the Baja, I got the twin lights from him too. I miss my XRR now

2000 XR650R - Plated - Sold
2000 XR600R - Sold
AlpinaE24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:49 PM   #99
Lostsaffa OP
Half Man Half BRP

Quote:
Yeah I don't know, I bought a ton of stuff from the rider Eric Brown. I got a complete truck load of stuff from him and found some random Baja stuff. He has some videos on YouTube of riding the Baja, I got the twin lights from him too. I miss my XRR now

Awesome, the lights are another thing I hope to get one day too.

Yeah I can empathise with you Alpina, selling my first XRR was the biggest bike mistake I ever made, even the vastly more 'trick' KTM 690 didn't come close in my opinion, so I came back to the pig!
Old 12-01-2013, 11:59 PM   #100
Sean-0
Closed

Oddometer: 4,134
I would have to agree on the non chain lube ...Quality chain and sprockets will last 20,000 kms no worries ...i have done it twice on the xrr ... i think lube attracts the fine crap and thats what kills them .... i also use a pressure washer to clean my bike ...but i use common sence on the moving parts

shit hot looking bike lostsaffa ...i been watching
Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:21 PM   #101
Lostsaffa OP
Half Man Half BRP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean-0 View Post
I would have to agree on the non chain lube ...Quality chain and sprockets will last 20,000 kms no worries ...i have done it twice on the xrr ... i think lube attracts the fine crap and thats what kills them .... i also use a pressure washer to clean my bike ...but i use common sence on the moving parts

shit hot looking bike lostsaffa ...i been watching
Cheers Sean-0, once it's up and running again you must come and give it a go (as long as you try to avoid trees:)
Old 12-02-2013, 11:14 PM   #102
Sean-0
Closed

Quote:
Cheers Sean-0, once it's up and running again you must come and give it a go (as long as you try to avoid trees:)
shit .... ya hit 1 tree at a nice ol pace and ya never live it down .....mate id be very keen to see this superb build in the flesh ....would i ride it

I'm not Worthy
Old 12-07-2013, 09:05 PM   #103
Lostsaffa OP
Half Man Half BRP

I thought I would post a photo of the bike as it stands after a bit of work getting the new bearings and swingarm refitted to the bike. I had to make the smaller castellated socket for the swingarm pivot bolt, but it worked well enough.

Next big items are the Fluidyne radiators which will be on order from the states soon. Once they arrive I should have the forks back from the suspension shop and then it's the triple clamps and wheel rebuild (wheels are old and the spokes are heavily corroded). I will be keeping the stock rims but changing the spokes for stainless and cleaning up the hubs.

So close yet so far!!
Old 12-08-2013, 12:00 AM   #104
Sean-0
Closed

Mint mate ...really good looking
Old 12-08-2013, 05:23 AM   #105
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,174
I dont know if this bike is gonna be ridden or not, or if these would be "correct" for your replica build but.....I would go with the oversized Stainless spokes and nipples. We used a set on our 93 CR 500 build and the wheel just looked right and strong. We did have to drill the hub though.

This bike is looking very nice.
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote