User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2013, 10:32 AM   #1
Neil E. OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Mini PC with internal power supply?

I'm hoping the PC gurus have some suggestions. I need a small PC for doing industrial programming work (PLCs, HMIs, etc.). It doesn't need much computing power; a variety of ports is more important. Serial, USB, 10/100 ethernet and monitor is all I really need.

Don't suggest notebooks, BTDT never want another. It's unlikely the small screen of a tablet will be large enough. I've found several 4:3 17" or 19" LED monitors that will be perfect (not widescreen). Setup with a wireless keyboard/mouse combo, these will do exactly what I want.

So is there a mini PC that can be the brains of the setup? I want to avoid external power supplies, but will consider them if no other choices are available. As you can probably tell, ease of portability is not critical, but I'd like something smaller than a mini tower.

The only other solution is an all-in-one PC since there are a few choices with 4:3 screens. They seem to be geared for higher performance than what I require.
Neil E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:19 AM   #2
BillsR100
Happy Paleoflatus

Oddometer: 2,742
Not sure why the aversion to laptops, but there are many many very small PC's out there but I can only find a few that are battery powered.
A battery that powers a PC would be fairly large and heavy, bigger and heavier than the PC itself.

If I were in your shoes, I would get a good used laptop and plug in any larger monitor you want, as well as wireless key board and mouse. By doing that, you would have a battery powered computer capable of running your larger monitor.
.....oops, never mind, the external monitor will require a power supply, dang.

You need a large screen laptop.
BillsR100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:39 AM   #3
filmfan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
A Mac Mini might be a candidate
They have bluetooth (wireless keyboard, rodent or trackpad), wireless and wired ethernet, usb ports and two kinds of video inputs, but no serial port.
For OS you can run Mac OS (Unix), Windows or Linux
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:26 PM   #4
Neil E. OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Battery power isn't required. Keep in mind I work in industrial environments with lots of AC power. The idea is to plug the PC directly into AC power and avoid a 120AC to ~19VDC adapter. Same as a monitor plugs directly into AC.

Extensive googling yields little industrial PCs like these:
http://www.stealth.com/littlepc_100_ultraminipc.htm
http://www.viaembedded.com/en/products/systems/
http://www.ibt.ca/v2/items/cmi100500/index.html
http://www.cappuccinopc.com/?gclid=CN-6iv2LrbgCFY87Mgod7FkAqw

They all require AC adapters, but the small size might make the adapter worthwhile. One even operates at 12VDC.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:38 PM   #5
Neil E. OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsR100 View Post
Not sure why the aversion to laptops, but there are many many very small PC's .
I looked at some of the small units as per your link; none have RS232 ports (I don't like fumbling with USB to Serial port adapters).

Laptops suck big time due to the retarded keyboard layouts. Button locations are mixed up and thus clumsy to use. Laptops also have wide screens which have no value to me. PLC programs are typically "ladder" diagrams that are tall and narrow - the exact opposite of a wide screen.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #6
BillsR100
Happy Paleoflatus

Oddometer: 2,742
Looking for a new PC with a RS232 port will be hard to find.
And I couldnt agree with you more about the dumb wide screens these days!! Drives me nuts. I write software and at work and many of us have our wide PC monitors sitting wide side up then set Windows to rotate the display 90 degrees (its in your windows display settings), works great.
BillsR100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #7
Zoef zoef
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
You may want to look at a "raspberry pi" . Might fit tour requirements. RS232 is not direct, but can be supported with some additions.
Zoef zoef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #8
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Oddometer: 9,588
You don't have to use the keyboard or screen on a laptop. Why not just add a wireless keyboar/mouse and an external monitor of the format you require?

A $1,200 industrial PC seems kind of silly.

emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #9
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,305
So you need a small computing device, with various ports, but not a laptop.

Like asking for a way to get to work, 50 miles away, in under an hour, but no internal combustion engines. BTDT.

Perhaps you had a turd of a laptop previously? Why eliminate a class of device based on a bad experience? My first car was a POS, but I still have an automobile to this day.

Desktops in corp america today are for TRUE power users, the guys who need massive horsepower, or call center reps. Even CC reps are going to WYSE terms. Thats about it. The desktop is a dying breed. Kept alive by gamers and guys with massive computing and storage needs. But maybe the hundreds of millions of laptop users worldwide are wrong?
KSJEEPER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:43 PM   #10
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,156
I agree that a laptop seems ideal, but whatever.

There are all kinds of options. It sounds like this is less for running something on the computer than to hook up, program and debug another controller/computer/etc. - if you haven't already said that, then maybe make that clear?

The Mac Mini is good - used ones are fairly available, and don't think that you have to run OSX if you don't want to; you can run Linux or Windows on it too, either as dual boot, in a VM or as the only system. There are also a number of Wintel equivalents - I think Dell makes several for example.

However, if you are hauling this around, you might consider an all-in-one computer like and iMac or one of the Wintel equivalents where the computer and display are one unit. Personally I don't like them as I prefer to be able to upgrade/replace the display separately.

As for RS 232, there are USB adapters to just about anything.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:22 PM   #11
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post
As for RS 232, there are USB adapters to just about anything.
But he does not want to use an adapter.

OP, look at business-class SFF desktops. They're more likely to have serial and parallel ports and will have a 3/3/3 warranty. If they don't have the ports, they'll have an open card slot that you can put an I/O board in to get what you want. Here are a couple that have serial ports.

http://www.pcconnection.com/IPA/Shop...126&cac=Result

http://www.pcconnection.com/IPA/Shop...878&cac=Result
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:43 PM   #12
Neil E. OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I was just given a brand new Toshiba Satellite C70D at work since my 10 year old machine is having USB trouble. Part of the frustration is Windows 8. Totally retarded operating system compared to the simplicity of XP.

My old unit is a predecessor of today's all-in one PCs. It's an Angel 3300 LCD PC and has been stellar for the work I do. Bristling with ports, it could hookup to everything. I use it for programming controllers and displays. A lot of typing is required so a full size keyboard is essential.

I looked at using the Toshiba laptop with an external monitor and keyboard as suggested, but all the pieces together will require more space than my old setup. I'm leaning towards putting one of the mini PCs on the back of a regular 4:3 monitor.

Neil E. screwed with this post 07-13-2013 at 05:49 PM
Old 07-13-2013, 06:18 PM   #13
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,461
http://www.mini-itx.com/
http://www.mini-box.com/site/index.html
Old 07-13-2013, 06:31 PM   #14
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Oddometer: 9,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post

Looks like the mini ITX meet all the requirements and are reasonably priced.

emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:25 PM   #15
Yamarocket630
Lurker

Oddometer: 391
Look into a wide screen monitor that can be rotated to become a tall, narrow screen.

For example:
Yamarocket630 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: