Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2013, 04:55 AM   #16
Guano11
Half Decaf

Oddometer: 1,149
So glad you're on the mend. That's a bad crash.
And among our worst fears.....
Guano11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:23 AM   #17
Robert_W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Oh man...hurts to read. Get well soon.

You said next bike will have more light up front. Did I miss what you had on this one? Was it just the stock lamp or were you running Aux stuff too?
www.kroutfitters.com
Robert_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:19 PM   #18
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,757
Broken Pelvis

I had a broken pelvis once. Wait until you poop with no pain meds. Feels like you are giving birth anally.

The body is amazing and it will heal itself up. Be good to it!
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:13 PM   #19
Retired-N-Roamin OP
Retired and Roamin

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W View Post
Oh man...hurts to read. Get well soon.

You said next bike will have more light up front. Did I miss what you had on this one? Was it just the stock lamp or were you running Aux stuff too?
I had bought the bike in early December. After getting it 'customized' for ergonomic comfort, I put about 3000 miles on it in January and February. Being Retired-N-Roamin I left for an extended trip to Europe in March.

I had just returned from that trip to Europe. The bike was fetched from storage and cleaned up. On the to-do real soon list was getting the bright blue light triangle purchased and installed. A day late and a dollar short it seems.

That sad story told, I've posted on several different MC forums about my experience last year at the close of Sturgis and seeing thousands of bikes from a head-on perspective.

Granted most were Harley's, but (IMO) the observations are still valid.
  • White helmets are the most visible at distance. Other colors - even so-called hi-viz orange and yellow - blend in to the landscape and do not standout. Black or dark shades of other colors are the worst.
  • Yellow and orange bike colors are most visible at a distance from the rear. White and other light color shades are better than dark shades or black.
  • Bright white or bright blue headlights are most visible at a distance.
  • Modulators running on 'normal incandescent' bulbs are noticeable but do not scream 'look at me'.
  • The most visible combination of front lights was bright blue dual headlights (~8-12" separation) with a modulator running and with a bright blue light low on each side of the forks, creating the bright triangle of light I have mentioned before.

The above combination was visible at 2+ mile distances as I met the on-coming bikes leaving Sturgis.

Every other light combination was inferior. I want to emphasize this point.

Every other light combination was inferior.

So... I was prepared to create that bright blue triangle - but fate intervened this time. Next time, I won't delay because of cold weather makes it uncomfortable to work on the bike.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:38 PM   #20
russbryant
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired-N-Roamin;21893266
On the to-do real soon list was getting the bright blue light triangle purchased and installed. A day late and a dollar short it seems. :(:

That sad story told, I've posted on several different MC forums about my experience last year at the close of Sturgis and seeing thousands of bikes from a head-on perspective.

Granted most were Harley's, but (IMO) the observations are still valid.
[LIST
[*]White helmets are the most visible at distance. Other colors - even so-called hi-viz orange and yellow - blend in to the landscape and do not standout. Black or dark shades of other colors are the worst.[/LIST]
  • The most visible combination of front lights was bright blue dual headlights (~8-12" separation) with a modulator running and with a bright blue light low on each side of the forks, creating the bright triangle of light I have mentioned before.

The above combination was visible at 2+ mile distances as I met the on-coming bikes leaving Sturgis.

Every other light combination was inferior. I want to emphasize this point.

Retired-N-Roamin,

Brought back vivid memories of me flying through the air about 2 1/2 years ago. My own personal idiot was a normal left turner, not a u-turner. I went about 35 ft doing a slow roll and landed on my left shoulder and elbow. Destroyed both. Also 7 ribs, scapula, and wrist. Of all, the wrist gives me the most problems today so I hope you broke any bone other than the scaphoid in your wrist. When my PT guy heard about it he said that it takes the longest to heal. We didn't even know it was broke for a few weeks.

I was on an Airhead GSPD and now have another Airhead GS so am very interested in what lights you are thinking of getting. I'm looking for the brightest thing I can get and am going to aim it directly into oncoming traffic so the idiots can see me coming.

Russ
Tucson
russbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:04 PM   #21
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired-N-Roamin View Post
If they cannot see

big trucks with lights, lots of bight color and hear sirens (read fire truck)

OR

long trains (at level crossings)

then they cannot see .... because they are not looking ... yes there eyes may be looking in that direction .. but it anit registering on their 'brain'

called ... around here ... 'SMIDSY' - sorry mate, I did not see you

Solutions ?

Before the fact ..
ewe
- slow down (more reaction time for you)
.. weave around in your lane (attracts attention - though I have been pulled over as a possible drunk )
[I do like the Ural side car with the missile though - missile goes forwards, rocket flames go backwards ... get both the obstruction in front and the tailgater behind]
them
make licenses a higher valued and skilled activity.

after the fact
them
- Remove license and community service for ? 3 years ?
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:06 AM   #22
Retired-N-Roamin OP
Retired and Roamin

We do only what we can do.

We riders cannot force anyone to actually 'see' and react correctly.

But by doing all that we can we do improve the odds that someone else will 'see' us before they make an illegal u-turn in front of us.

In the back - lots of bright LEDs that flash when the brakes are applied. If there are panniers or other luggage then some bright (perhaps fluorescent?) tape (paint?) that is in some unusual pattern so it attracts attention for just being 'unusual'.

I think that I might investigate some detachable cords that will power brake LEDs near the extreme corners of the panniers, in effect creating a sort of visual triangle in the back.

In the front - not a bunch of lights that blaze and create some sort of massive light show, but rather the main headlight and two spots down low on the forks to form that triangle. Other driving lights are fine for specific situations when we're riding in poor visibility conditions, but these should remain off when on the highways to avoid that massive light show.

A modulator? I would vote yes as I have had one on a previous bike and I have observed that it works to alert oncoming drivers of my presence.

Clothing. I'm of a divided mind on this because of luggage and/or windshields and fairings obscuring the rider from being seen clearly.

The paramedics cut off my gear () so new gear will be purchased. Right at this moment I am inclined to go with the same as before - a light colored jacket with plenty of reflective patches versus one with hi-viz yellow or orange. But that's all subject to change when push meets shove.

All of this with the idea that we can only do what we can to make ourselves visible and then hope that is enough.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:20 AM   #23
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,099
Be warned that bright running lights, headlight modulators, extra brake/tail lights, Hi-Viz gear, etc, may be counterproductive for safety because the may lull the rider into a false sense of security by thinking that they are invincibly visible. All it does is better you odds with those who are likely to see you. The blind will still be blind and need to be dealt with via an ingrained Spidey Sense.

My bike has had auxillary brake lights in one form or another (evolving to a pair 4" LED lamps) since 1976. I have always run with the headlight on in daytime, and since 2000 I've had Amber LED forward-aimed daytime marker lights (evolving to a pair of bright 60-series LED turn signal modules 4 years ago). And I still ride as though I'm invisible.

FWIW.

--Bill
Old 07-23-2013, 03:03 PM   #24
Retired-N-Roamin OP
Retired and Roamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
Be warned that bright running lights, headlight modulators, extra brake/tail lights, Hi-Viz gear, etc, may be counterproductive for safety because the may lull the rider into a false sense of security by thinking that they are invincibly visible. All it does is better you odds with those who are likely to see you. The blind will still be blind and need to be dealt with via an ingrained Spidey Sense.

My bike has had auxillary brake lights in one form or another (evolving to a pair 4" LED lamps) since 1976. I have always run with the headlight on in daytime, and since 2000 I've had Amber LED forward-aimed daytime marker lights (evolving to a pair of bright 60-series LED turn signal modules 4 years ago). And I still ride as though I'm invisible.

FWIW.

--Bill
I could not agree more Bill.

I'm sure that from time to time many of us get a sardonic chuckle from hearing about the Darwin Awards - you know about the hapless folks that weld on gas tanks that explode...

I would suggest that anyone that spends the money, time and effort to get their bike and themselves set up to have a better chance to be seen and then believes that they are invincible because of this may be a candidate for the aforementioned award.

I tell my son to ride like everyone is out to get you - because they are!

Old 07-23-2013, 05:16 PM   #25
russbryant
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post

--Bill
Well Bill, since your post seemed to be aimed squarely at the OP. I can assure you that he (and I) will never have a sense of security, false or otherwise, while riding our bike's on the street. No matter how much light we add.

As for your Spidy Sense, there comes a point when you are too close relative to your speed to the cage to miss it when it comes into your lane.

Russ
Tucson
Old 07-24-2013, 10:02 AM   #26
Johnny Locks
Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXLoki View Post
I was once in the same position and found the #1 formula from this website can cut through concrete when nothing else can. Also, I took it for several months without any permanent damage, which some people claim laxatives can do. That said, I did once ignore the directions and took it between meals and that was anything but bearable. So, if you can't currently eat, it wouldn't be a good option.

https://www.herbdoc.com/index.php/Ou...-&-Elimination

Sorry about your accident and I wish you a speedy and complete recovery!

No, I'm not a spammer, nor do I represent the product I just posted. For whatever reason, this just happened to be the first thread I clicked on after joining.
First, really feel for you man. I'm glad you made it out alive and will heal. I'm recovering from a broken leg and ankle, got T-boned by a car June 22. My injuries are nothing compared to what you ended up with, but I know how plugged up the narcotics make you so +1 on the Intestinal Formula #1. You can take it indefinitely with no dependance developing. Like Loki said, gotta take it with dinner, not empty stomach.
Johnny Locks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:15 PM   #27
Retired-N-Roamin OP
Retired and Roamin

My attorney has some ducks to herd into a row yet, but it appears the illegal u-turn perpetrator is going to get off (nearly) scot-free.

They were cited but (appear) to be poor enough to not have any assets worth pursuing.

They had the California minimum for liability insurance.

Essentially there is zero $$ available for the pain and suffering I am experiencing.

The only "bright" spot is that under California law the hospital and associated services will have to be satisfied with the small insurance payment from the illegal u-turn perpetrator's insurance company and cannot put me under a crushing mountain of medical debt.

So... I'm recuperating at my son's - slowly but surely.

Now the immediate task is to let go of the anger that having six months or a year of my life stolen has inflicted. And I have to say that this a monumental task in itself.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:53 PM   #28
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,099
Then good luck, and you have a properly positive attitude. Stuff happens in life and you just need to make the best of the hand you're dealt.

--Bill
Old 07-24-2013, 07:06 PM   #29
russbryant
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired-N-Roamin View Post
My attorney has some ducks to herd into a row yet, but it appears the illegal u-turn perpetrator is going to get off (nearly) scot-free.

They were cited but (appear) to be poor enough to not have any assets worth pursuing.

They had the California minimum for liability insurance.

Essentially there is zero $$ available for the pain and suffering I am experiencing.

The only "bright" spot is that under California law the hospital and associated services will have to be satisfied with the small insurance payment from the illegal u-turn perpetrator's insurance company and cannot put me under a crushing mountain of medical debt.

So... I'm recuperating at my son's - slowly but surely.

Now the immediate task is to let go of the anger that having six months or a year of my life stolen has inflicted. And I have to say that this a monumental task in itself.

Good luck with the legal stuff. Do not discuss it on here or anywhere on the web.

I used my medical coverage from work to cover all my hospital bills which were well over $100k.

My lawyer ended up collecting from the guys insurance and had to go after my insurance for under insured motorist coverage. Then you learn about subrogation But I also found out about stacking

Good luck and go to as much PT as you can.

Russ
Old 07-25-2013, 02:30 AM   #30
middleview
gizmo

Oddometer: 47
RNR, thanks for posting your experience. Left turners are my greatest fear on the bike. Sorry to hear whenever a brother or sister is taken down, but can all learn from your tale. i agree that riding like all the cars are out to get you is the best way! Wish you a strong recovery. Agree with the other commenters about the PT - really makes a difference.
middleview is offline   Reply With Quote