Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2013, 09:44 PM   #31
BMacW650 OP

Oddometer: 741
Please read this first.

1. I'm a experienced photographer, and I will be the first to tell you it's pointless to judge brightness or color temperature of any light using a photograph.
2. Having said the above. It is possible to compare the relative brightness and color difference of multiple lights if the camera was set to use the same exposure setting and that the same white balance is applied to all the pictures.

And this is what I have done here. I took picture of the different setups with my camera on the tripod in manual setting (same setting for all) and use only the 12v battery to power these lights. I've set the white balance to 'Daylight' ~5000K, So the closest light to daylight will appear to be whiter, the rest will be more yellow/orange. It's not critical to look at the color but rather the relative color temp difference.

I don't think I need to say much here. It's pretty obvious. This is why I love hella's projector never like or feel the need to add additional auxiliary lights.

Also please don't make comments like 'My stock light looks bright than your picture' I based my exposure value (of the pictures) from the Hella Halogen. As you know you can make any given picture brighter or dakar. But just remember if I dial the exposure value of the camera up so that the stock light looks brighter in the picture, the other 3 picture will be that much brighter than they appear now.

Lightroom (photo management software) showing that the settings are the same.

You can download the individual files here

BMacW650 screwed with this post 07-16-2013 at 10:04 PM
BMacW650 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:08 PM   #32
BMacW650 OP

I also took a series of pictures in front of the projector from high point to a low point to show you how well the Hella cut off works. This will be true regardless of the bulb you use (halogen vs hid), It's just quality shit from Hella.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:12 PM   #33
advchar
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I have been working with Bmac on this setup, and seen it in person. It really makes a huge improvement over the stock setup. The projector/ HID really provides a nice flood that would come in handy in any low light situation on or off road.
advchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:47 AM   #34
Pete640
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,634
Yep - the hella setup is much better than the OEM headlight - US or euro. Its almost dangerous riding at night with it.

When you have the mounting plate ready to go - put me down for one and a loom.
The screen I'll do over here...
Old 07-17-2013, 08:06 AM   #35
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 969
Thanks BMac...

...for your professional approach to displaying the relative brightnesses. Great job! As you have pointed out, its impossible to show how a beam pattern appears to the eyes. Even if you used HDR techniques to approximate what your eye/brain combination perceives (your eyes having a much higher dynamic F-stop range than any standard digital camera) the result would be only as YOU see it and not how anyone else sees it, and the way your eyes see it changes as you scan around a scene anyway.

Your setup looks great - it seems the Hella projector throws more light down the road where it is needed and less in close to the bike. Does that seem to be the case?
Old 07-17-2013, 01:15 PM   #36
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,658
Nicely done!

When you get it completed I quite possibly would be interested in the mounting plate and headlight bezel. I can take care of the wiring/lights myself.
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:20 PM   #37
alpo996
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Thumb +1

Yes, very nice! I'm also interested in the mounting plate and the bezel. I performed a similar mod a couple of years ago with Hella lights (posted in ADV) but I don't have the talent to make a bezel like you did. Would be nice to put the finishing touches on.
alpo996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:37 PM   #38
ride-for-life
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
very nice, I will take a full set up when there ready. 90mm low beam w/hid and 90mm high beam w/halogen
Old 07-17-2013, 02:45 PM   #39
Sheep Shagger
Show me your fleece

Oddometer: 2,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMacW650 View Post
I also took a series of pictures in front of the projector from high point to a low point to show you how well the Hella cut off works. This will be true regardless of the bulb you use (halogen vs hid), It's just quality shit from Hella.
What should be pointed out, is HID conversions on most low beam lights (including OEM US or EU adventure headlight) is crap because the lens optics are what's used to cut the beam. So you always end up either blinding on coming traffic or have the light pointed down, so it's no good.

These particular Hella lamps has a metal insert that cut the light sharply for on coming traffic and do not use the lens optics itself. So they lend themselves perfectly to HID conversion like this. They are also dam good with a halogen bulb BTW.
Sheep Shagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:41 PM   #40
DutchVDub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
when you get everything figured out I would appreciate a pm for the complete kit using all halogens. thanks
Old 07-17-2013, 08:47 PM   #41
zgfiredude
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 791
I'm still watching, and still interested. Keep me posted.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:03 PM   #42
Longboard8
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I'm interested too... Looks like an excellent light pattern. Thanks.
Longboard8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:34 PM   #43
BMacW650 OP

Making good progress. The mounting bracket is finalized. In fact mine is mounted on my own bike and operational. I'm waiting for a few raw sample metal plates to arrive for a final evaluation before I send the order to the waterjet shop. They have a minium job order size, so I'm just making sure everything is how I wanted before I commit.

I'm also working on a hard polycarbonate lens protector that would be press fitted to the shield. Probably with some rubber or foam gasket around it.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:37 PM   #44
BMacW650 OP

Here is what it looks like on my bike. Don't mind the slight offset. The final bracket will have the light match the face plate.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:01 PM   #45
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,140

Awesome