Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2013, 09:04 PM   #46
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by BENRON View Post

He who has the most bike problems shall have the most tools. And I have a power drill
Remember: When Cannon had HIS maintenance issue , he came to a 950 owner for tools

That reminds me, wanna buy a spare shifter lever?

vwboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:17 PM   #47
BENRON
I'm Mr. Crabtree

Oddometer: 3,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwboomer View Post
That reminds me, wanna buy a spare shifter lever?
I already owe you a new fuel pump!
BENRON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:31 PM   #48
InTheMuck
So it goes...

Oddometer: 329
This looks good...really, really good!

“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list."
InTheMuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:31 PM   #49
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Cannonshot is a master navigator. You will not be disappointed with his tracks. You may be pissed off, tired, lonely and hungry. but you will not be disappointed. Cannonshot's routes tend to be at the upper limit of what can be achieved. If you want to save your arse and your soul, bring a bike one step smaller than suggested. I wrestled a heavily laden KLR along his big bike route in the UP last summer, and there were portions which tried my soul to the limit.

I don't regret a moment of it. It was some of the best solo riding I've ever experienced.
I'm glad you got to enjoy the UP route in Michigan. That ride is a good one. Feels good to see others get to enjoy it. Thanks for the nice words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Ready for BBA (big bike adventure)!
It is nice to sort through the pix. I think we forgot much of what we did. Makes us ready to go back for more BBA I think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpST8 View Post
Thanks for tuning in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critic View Post
Waiting for your usual maps, I am not sure where you were!
Hi Mark! Yes, I'll do the maps as we go. I had to revamp the GPS file a little to account for changes along the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwboomer View Post
Remember: When Cannon had HIS maintenance issue , he came to a 950 owner for tools
Maintenance issue on a Tenere? You must be talking about when I had to slightly readjust the right mirror after hanging my helmet on it . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheMuck View Post
This looks good...really, really good!
It was damn sure fun....really, really fun!

Thanks for tuning in!

Cannonshot screwed with this post 07-14-2013 at 09:41 PM
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:15 AM   #50
Hotspice
Satellites not acquired

Oddometer: 5,521

Get a SmugMug account and use coupon code DwHE0pDRjpJfw to save yourself $5.
Hotspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:49 AM   #51
rcniss
Not that way!!

Oddometer: 392
Looking forward to hearing how your new Super T did on this trip.
rcniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:02 AM   #52
nardo53
U812

Oddometer: 83
Count me in. Been recovering from a illness going on two years. Sure miss these rides. Reading your ride reports are great therapy. Keep up the good work Cannonshot.

LAL

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved
body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy
s**t...what a ride!"

http://www.gldsmc.org
nardo53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:13 AM   #53
freeflow
get in or go in

Oddometer: 15,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcniss View Post
freeflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:07 AM   #54
Claybuster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by BENRON View Post
That's perhaps putting it too mildly. My ride for this trip was a Rip-snorting, Fire-breathing KTM 950 SUPER enduro--A 100hp Beast back home at 800' elevation. At 13K feet trying to climb over a pass it was reduced to a overweight kid on a 5hp briggs and stratton mini bike with a clogged carb. It was NOT pretty.
Did you end up rejetting?

The only issues I had with the SE at elevation were about a 10% power loss, slight difference in throttle response, and a little more cranking on startup. All manageable and predictable once you get used to it.

Although it was mid June when I was there, most of the passes had snow cover yet. Temps probably 40°.
Claybuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:16 AM   #55
BENRON
I'm Mr. Crabtree

Oddometer: 3,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claybuster View Post
Did you end up rejetting?
No. I thought about it, but decided against it.

We had 1200 miles out and back to deal with at 1500 feet or less... Definitely wouldn't have wanted to be too lean for 8 hrs @ 80 mph across Nebraska & Iowa.

That leaves rejetting once you're in Colorado... which would've been a half day project even with a shop. More than that in some dusty motel parking lot.
BENRON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:39 AM   #56
Shooby
Anti-Cager

Oddometer: 717
Shooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:40 AM   #57
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Beautiful day this morning as we packed up and prepared to head out on the Trek track.

Ben rigged a heat shield for a fuel problem he was having. More on that as we get further down the line.

A little traffic jam on the highway this morning. Alternate route was no good.

We started the track in Monument and headed up the front range.

This is Monument's largest park. It is named for a pioneer woman who lived in an unkempt shack along the creek here.

Heading up into the mountains.

Sporty ride.

Ben had a little mishap when his rear brake failed. We had just gotten into the groove when we suffered this setback.

He picked a good place to break down as we were well protected by people firing guns within a few hundred feet of us.

When I plan these trips I waypoint dealers that are proximate to the route by the brands they carry. We started making some calls to see if we couldn't scare up a brake rebuild kit. In the mean time, Zed did some looking around of his own.

He can climb like a mountain lion. Nice view from up there.

As long as we were stopped, boomer took some time to repair the Velcro on his Quickstrap.

No luck with the dealers so we tried for some local help. I had Ben call inmate Hayduke in Salida to see if he could help. Duke came though with some loaner parts so Ben could continue his trip! Everyone was very grateful for Duke's assistance. Nice to see how people on this site like Hayduke go out of their way to help each other. A great community for sure.

Ben headed over to Salida on the highway to borrow a rear brake system. Zed volunteered to ride with him. We arranged to meet up later on.

We were talking about what parts might be nice to have in a PLL (prescribed load list) for trips like this. Since the rear brake is a show stopper, and since we have had some issues on a couple of the big KTMs in the past few weeks, it might be a good idea to carry a rebuild kit. Small and inexpensive, the parts are handy when you need them. More on what parts to carry as things develop later on.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:46 AM   #58
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotspice View Post
Hi Tony! Thanks for joining in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcniss View Post
Randy, I learned a lot about the Super Tenere on this trip. I'll put a post up about it in a bt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nardo53 View Post
Count me in. Been recovering from a illness going on two years. Sure miss these rides. Reading your ride reports are great therapy. Keep up the good work Cannonshot.
Hi Nardo! Long time since you have been on a Trek. Hope you get back to 100% soon! I'm glad you find some entertainment in the reports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeflow View Post
Hope you find the Tenere info helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooby View Post
Thanks for following along!
Old 07-15-2013, 07:58 AM   #59
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,597
Another fabulous write-up by Professor Cannonshot!

How about a quick list of the bike each of you is riding?
Yooper_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:59 AM   #60
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

I'm not one to be ga-ga about any particular bike or blindly swear by a brand. Seems like all bikes involve some kind of compromise regarding their combination of attributes. I have had a Super Tenere for about a year. This is the first significant off-highway work out I have experienced on the bike and I learned a lot from it.

The fuel injection and 1200 cc engine provided plenty of power and probably saved my butt on some steep sections a few times.

I figured out the best settings for the traction control. In setting 1 (default) there is too much interruption as the bike interrupts for all of the wheel spin associated with hops on rugged, rocky, climbing paths. In the number 2 setting, the bike allows for a little wheel spin. This setting worked great on steep and rocky climbs. I still got the "constant" interrupts but with a little more wheel spin. It allowed me to climb rugged stuff without slipping the clutch (much) while not losing it by spinning out the back wheel. I was able to concentrate on finding a line between the rocks while being able to tractor up the path without working the clutch while having consistent power and traction. I didn't run it with the traction control off as I was satisfied with the number 2 position.

The unified braking system (pull the front brake to control both wheels) worked fabulously on dirt and of course on the highways. I loved the precise braking of both wheels. However, on steep and loose rock, the anti-lock brakes became "anti-stop" brakes. Even bulldogging the bike down a loose rock slope became a challenge as the anti-lock would let it roll when you didn't want it too. A very inconvenient feature but luckily it rarely comes into play. It is nice to be able to brake both wheels with both feet down on the rugged stuff. The unified braking can be overcome by braking in the standard fashion using the foot brake and hand brake.

The Tenere has a soft underbelly and not so much suspension travel. Although the suspension worked fine, I was concerned about bottoming out. I had an AltRider bash plate on there (which got a workout with flip ups and a few hits) but I didn't like that a couple of the mounting points were on the engine instead of all being on the frame.

Some were jumping some of the water bars (we'll have to see how that works out) but after a couple I opted to roll them as I didn't want to stress the shock with a heavy load on the back of the bike.

Cannonshot screwed with this post 07-15-2013 at 08:11 AM
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote