So AWESOME! IN!!
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:29 PM   #77
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 19,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Jack View Post
OK Cannon you've got me hooked..... But damn it did my friend 4-s-hsky survive? Do we need to go rescue him? In other words, start out telling us everyone is home and [I hope] healthy.
Rant over carry on, I'll just call him.

Mad Jack
Hi Jack! Indeed, everyone is fine with no serious injuries. Terry can really ride that big bike of his. But that should be no surprise to you. I think he might have flipped it over the edge further down the line, but he and another guy managed to haul it back up. When the time comes, we'll have to see if they took pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxObsessed View Post
So AWESOME! IN!!
Thanks for following along!
Old 07-15-2013, 02:38 PM   #78
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,777

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:46 PM   #79
hyperboarder
Potato Farmer

Oddometer: 1,024
I really hate your reports. You get me hooked and them update them at a reasonable, but IMO unacceptably slow pace . In.

Quarter Life Crisis 2011 Ural National Rally
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:49 PM   #80
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,419
My hat is off to you people on running the big bikes on those kind of roads. I did a lot of running the same on my '95 R11GS and had fun and lots of work. I later went back with a DR350SE and just could not believe the difference in enjoyment and work load. '
Love the pics and narration. And , waiting for more.

A '00 KLR 650 39,000 miles, A '07 1250S 77,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 76,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #81
Todd34
Toubab

Oddometer: 895
In!
Todd34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:09 PM   #82
Critic
More or less!

Oddometer: 1,237
Quote:
Ben had a little mishap when his rear brake failed. We had just gotten into the groove when we suffered this setback.
If I remember right (you should as well), Ben has a thing about rear brake problems! His KLR at Wabeno a few years back.

Cool, Terry is along. He is a great guy, so is MadJack! They do great things for us off road types!

KTM dealer in Gunnison, if you get close.
past:BigBear250,T100cs,Savage250s,TS185,DT175,GT550,TY250,XR200/350/250,R75/7,Ft500,RD350,YZ125,KDX175,SP500,K1000rs,DR250,883,S1,ST2,KLX650,KE100,GS1000,Monster,Vstr om1000&650,950adv,625sxc,250SSherpa,530exc,990adv, 690e
Critic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:39 PM   #83
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,181
Oh man!!! I love a big bike RR!!!! Totally in!
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:17 PM   #84
proeasy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
In.

Bryan, could the routes be combined ala WI and MI Treks and done on a small bike, trailer them to CO then having a central ride location to base out of?

Paul O
Husky TE-510
Stumpjumper Carbon 29'r PRO
proeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:58 PM   #85
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
Thanks for following along!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperboarder View Post
I really hate your reports. You get me hooked and them update them at a reasonable, but IMO unacceptably slow pace . In.
I'm old and it takes me a while to remember the stuff to put into the report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by achesley View Post
My hat is off to you people on running the big bikes on those kind of roads. I did a lot of running the same on my '95 R11GS and had fun and lots of work. I later went back with a DR350SE and just could not believe the difference in enjoyment and work load. '
Love the pics and narration. And , waiting for more.
Hi Andy! Glad you are along for the ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd34 View Post
In!
Thanks for joining in Todd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critic View Post
If I remember right (you should as well), Ben has a thing about rear brake problems! His KLR at Wabeno a few years back.

Cool, Terry is along. He is a great guy, so is MadJack! They do great things for us off road types!

KTM dealer in Gunnison, if you get close.
I think we have all had some bike problem or another over the years. We had a great group of guys, Thanks for the tip on Gunnison. We did stop at Montrose while we were out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Oh man!!! I love a big bike RR!!!! Totally in!
Another big biker! Thanks for riding along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by proeasy View Post
In.

Bryan, could the routes be combined ala WI and MI Treks and done on a small bike, trailer them to CO then having a central ride location to base out of?

Paul O
Hi Paul! The original concept for CT.CO was to haul smaller dual sports out there and ride from multiple base camps over a period of days, Then this big bike idea got in the way which turned out to be a fabulous experience. CT.CO II will revert to the original smaller bike plan with the base camps as we have some loose ends to tidy up out there.

Cannonshot screwed with this post 07-15-2013 at 06:03 PM
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:39 PM   #86
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,577
I'm in. Looks to be a great report.

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:08 PM   #87
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

A trip up Pikes Peak.

Waiting in line on a hot day, on a slope, on a holiday weekend was not so much fun.

Erik ran out of gas on the way up. I had a bottle on my bike and we soon had him going again. He picked a nice drop off for that.

Prior to the trip I distributed some information on altitude sickness. Living at 1,000 and going to 14,000 can produce a headache or some other more serious problems depending on your elevation profile over time. Best to know the signs and symptoms of altitude sickness to head off problems if they arise. There is no real predictor for who will be affected. We were fine.

One may be a little short of breath at various altitudes. At 9,000 there is 29% less oxygen, at 12,000 40% less, and at 14,000 43% less. The percentages of gases in the atmosphere is the same, but the number of molecules present decreases. It takes longer to catch your breath after exerting yourself under these conditions.

Another thing to think about is sunscreen and SPF lip balm. Not only is this good for the highway, but with fewer molecules in the atmosphere at altitude, UV exposure increases about 4% per thousand feet.

Of course, hydration is critically important. One loses a lot of moisture due to increased respiration and from sweating while working the bike on the trails. Hydration does not prevent altitude sickness, but it is good to keep from getting a headache from dehydration so one can recognize the symptoms of altitude sickness.

Modern version of the cog railway.

I wonder what the steering wheel does?

Excursion plan "buzzing" the peak at 14,000+ feet.

Bikes resting in the cool air after the long climb. I think it was 50 degrees on top. I think temp changes about 3.5 degrees per thousand generally.

Autos get a mandatory check for hot brakes. I wonder how that antique truck with drum brakes did on the way down. Seems he was working the transmission in first gear most of the time.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:08 PM   #88
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16 View Post
I'm in. Looks to be a great report.

David
Welcome David! Thanks for following along.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:38 PM   #89
ajayhawkfan
Rock Chalk

Oddometer: 4,384
I'm following along. My kind of bikes.

Eddie

Texas Hill Country Badlands and Black Hills Riding the T.W.A.T Photos
ajayhawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:12 PM   #90
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,623
There is an electric sign at the bottom of the hill declaring that vehicles need 1/2 tank of gas to do the climb, and not to use the AC.
We had about 70 miles on at that point - more than a half tank of gas at sea level for me. Imagine my surprise when the fuel light started coming on at just over 80 miles That got me seriously worried, as there was still 1000+ feet to climb.

I used Cannon's liter on the side of the road, and Dan's gallon when I made it to the top. Turns out the issue was with fuel boiling past the low level sensor. After getting to the bottom and a gas stop, it turns out I had better than 1.5 gallons left without adding their fuel but I couldn't have known that. Plus with the amount that boiled out of the tanks on this trip I couldn't afford to take many chances.

With fuel economy ranging between 20mpg and 42ish mpg it was always a crap shoot.

vwboomer is online now   Reply With Quote