Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2013, 07:03 PM   #16
Thermos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
If you find yourself in Gray, look me up.

Lots of Ural rides with the folks on Soviet steeds in the Maine area if interested.

-T
Thermos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:04 PM   #17
turtlemoye
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by stromsurfer View Post

On the Often Awesome home page, my family is pictured about five posts down from the top.
My oldest daughter graduated two years ago from Guilford College, and now works there as Assistant to the Dean of Student Life. My younger daughter will be a senior this year, and currently works there as part of the Cadre Program.
It truly is a small world. I sent you a PM and would love an opportunity to possibly meet up if you are still in the area.
turtlemoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:12 PM   #18
stromsurfer OP
Stromsurfer

Oddometer: 628
Update

I posted this update in my regional thread when I got back. I keep a daily journal and am working on writing up a few of the events of the trip, and interactions that took place along the way.
One word....AWESOME!,,

1,590 mile
20-Number Of Days Away
14-Number of Days Riding
6 Minor Injury Non-Moto Related Falls
6 Mountain Ranges
Uncountable Acts Of Kindness
Monticello
Cooperstown-Lou Gehrig
Canada-Quebec
Blistering Sun
1-Number Of Times I Ran Out Of Gas
1-Number Of Cars The Ural Passed While Riding In The Passing Lane
10- Number of Pounds Lost
1-Number of Walking Canes Lost
150-Number of miles Towed
%99-Time Spent Smiling

Well I made it.....kind of. Traveled almost 1,600 miles but the bike only went 1,450. Great adventure, beautiful country, and amazing kindness of strangers. The Ural rumbled along quite nicely. No highways, no tolls, no traffic all back secondary roads. Basically followed the mountain ranges right on up through...blue ridge mountains, appellation mountains, allegheny mountains, great smokey mountains, adirondack mountains, green mountains. Somehow I actualy missed the turn to Maine, and ended up 30 miles east of Montreal. :-) :-) Sorry about no updates and not many pictures.....excuses later. Also, I wussed out on camping......more excuses later. It just really have difficulty moving, and after an incident alone and away from the bike and could not get up.....even more excuses later, i decided that riding and traveling was more important to me than camping, so from then on it was cheezy hotel/motels. Between riding and navigation, I was just to beat to do much more then just checking in with family, and some writing in my journal, which I will at some point maybe morph it into a RR, and post excerpts from here.

Thanks for your interest.

MC

stromsurfer screwed with this post 08-15-2013 at 06:43 PM
stromsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:22 PM   #19
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,413
Your a brave one and not much of a complainer, if your happy I'd say the trip was a ragging success.DB

I should buy that Ural when your done with it just for some good Karma !
Old 08-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #20
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,294
Congratulations, Stromsurfer! And good on ya! You're an inspiration.

BTW, what have you done with the Dakar rig?
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:31 PM   #21
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,467
Awesome update. I assume that you had some bike trouble based on the towing. Care to fill us in on what happened? If it isn't already fixed, I guarantee one of us Uralistas around here can point you in the right direction.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:39 PM   #22
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 5,684
Class act
Old 08-16-2013, 08:03 AM   #23
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,274
What an inspiration...

Your adventure has no doubt left you with great memories for life and stories you can tell your children and grandchildren. I can feel the trip left you wiser, more patient, and with a tiny bit more focus on the things that matter.

cheers..
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:22 PM   #24
Melrone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 874
You go dude its nice to see another injured biker back on the road..THATS The reason we went back to a s/c.As a member of the Cobb Society(cripple old biker bastards) I applaud you.....
Melrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:28 PM   #25
MartyL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Congratulations on your Ural. Check out SovietSteeds.com for great information about all things Ural. Also, as far as hand control assists, Holopaw Gene in Florida has fabbed up some in the past and he is one of the best Ural dealers in the U.S. His number is: (407) 892-1901
Happy trails....
MartyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:06 AM   #26
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,074
Excellent, keep on keepin' on!
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:19 AM   #27
ked
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
awesome write up and congrats on a successful trip. keep riding and keep safe.

ked
Old 08-18-2013, 07:29 AM   #28
stromsurfer OP
Stromsurfer

Oddometer: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebig View Post
Your a brave one and not much of a complainer, if your happy I'd say the trip was a ragging success.DB

I should buy that Ural when your done with it just for some good Karma !
Thanks DB. That is a compliment that I very much appreciate. I try and enjoy my days, and if I am having a particularly bad day......I try and suffer in silence. Just visiting with my kids made it well worth the effort. The ride was all bonus.. Good Karma is received by giving it......from what I can gather through our direct communications and from reading your posts....you have plenty coming your way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
Congratulations, Stromsurfer! And good on ya! You're an inspiration.

BTW, what have you done with the Dakar rig?
Thank you Drone but....lets not be throwing around the I-Word. I am only doing what I believe any of you would do given the same circumstances, and that is to try and keep life as normal as possible, for as long as possible, and in the process...enjoy my days.
Early on when researching purchasing a Ural, I decided that until the Ural made it home and into my shop, I would keep the Dakar Hack. I can not afford to be bikeless for even one day of riding.......I bought a Ural, but I am not stupid.
Oh and if anyone is interested, the Dakar goes up for sale in the flea market later this week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
Awesome update. I assume that you had some bike trouble based on the towing. Care to fill us in on what happened? If it isn't already fixed, I guarantee one of us Uralistas around here can point you in the right direction.
In brief(more to come in my RR) I smoked the rings, burned a piston, scored. Cylinder. Dealer had me back on the road in 7 days (outstanding service got me back up to join an ALS ride in my honor) at a cost of $1,500. Said it was low oil or pre detonation (had it serviced about 400 miles before incident and I only use 91-93 octane gas). I blame myself....I did not check the oil after service and had not checked it for a couple of days....stupid.. Found myself pushing my walker up the breakdown lane looking for cell service, in Northern Vermont, about 50 miles from the boarder, after coming back into the states. Quite a long day.. Dealer also said that he would not use Amsoil in the Ural. Previous owner said he only used Amsoil in the Ural and would never use anything else. Swore by it....go figure.. Really too bad because up until the point when it started to lose power it had rumbled along quite willingly, cruising along at 60mph when asked, or chugging up the mountains all day long. I was actually growing quite fond of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ked View Post
awesome write up and congrats on a successful trip. keep riding and keep safe.

Thank you Ked. About a year ago we talked back and forth when I was in NC about buying your BMW I had just finished a trip through the southeast on my Vstrom and had just sold it). I ended up meeting a guy in TN at a restaurant parking lot and bought the lighter Dakar, which gave me one more season on two wheels. You were considering a sidecar back then....what the hell are you waiting for?
ked
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer View Post
What an inspiration...

Your adventure has no doubt left you with great memories for life and stories you can tell your children and grandchildren. I can feel the trip left you wiser, more patient, and with a tiny bit more focus on the things that matter.

cheers..
There's the I-Word again. Thank you but truth be known....I am not. I am just determined to live well, enjoy my days, apprecieate what i still CAN do, and try to move forward with as much grace and dignity as possible, and to hopefully be someone my wife, my kids, my mom and dad, and brothers and sisters, and friends will be proud of.

Thanks again everyone for your kind words and interest in my story. More to come as soon as I get my selfish self-centered ass in gear and finish writing up my RR.

Enjoy the day men.

stromsurfer screwed with this post 08-18-2013 at 01:22 PM
stromsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:10 AM   #29
ked
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
originally poster by Stromsurfer
Thank you Ked. About a year ago we talked back and forth when I was in NC about buying your BMW I had just finished a trip through the southeast on my Vstrom and had just sold it). I ended up meeting a guy in TN at a restaurant parking lot and bought the lighter Dakar, which gave me one more season on two wheels. You were considering a sidecar back then....what the hell are you waiting for?

i remember our conversations. i ended up buying a g/s, then a Wee with the idea of adding a hack to the Wee. i sold the g/s and have bought a V65/Motivation rig in Wisconsin, i am making arrangements to do a bus/train/fly-n-ride as we speak.

thanks for reminding me about our conversations.

keep on riding, ked

ked screwed with this post 08-18-2013 at 09:55 AM
ked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:51 AM   #30
vetsurginc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Congrats on the trip! Glad the dealer was able to get things straight for you. Urals are much happier jetted rich than lean (which doesn't help already challenged MPG - which is why I've got two gas cans on mine now).

i decided that riding and traveling was more important to me than camping, so from then on it was cheezy hotel/motels.

Gotta love 'em. Three of us backroaded our way to the RA rally in Asheville splitting room costs in the cheezy-wheezy's. But no bedbugs yet

Have a ball with it!
Gustav, 2010 BMW RT
vetsurginc is offline   Reply With Quote