Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2013, 02:55 PM   #16
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,270
Decided to redo the oil tank as I did not like the chunky version I made earlier.

I cut out the crossmember between the frame rails. This mockup is 0.080" steel as that what was laying on the waterjet. I plan to do the real version from aluminum.

Here's about what it will look like. The thin end is 1" inside dimension and I get 3.25 quarts

Top will be drilled and tapped into the frame rails

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:30 PM   #17
sailah OP
Lampin' it

I'm not sure what happened to me today but I think I made a serious mistake

I got my sweet swingarm in the mail and measured the width. 10.25"

The width of the opening...9.25"

Scroll down only if you aren't squeamish...

I set up the frame in the mill to bore the mounts to 30mm. It was a pretty exciting cut as the frame doesn't have a lot of rigidity

Then I rough sectioned out the frame with a cutoff wheel

The plan is to plate the inside using the 30mm bores on the outside as an index and the swingarm bolt holding everything in line. I will then plate the outside with a much larger plate to help tie in various motor mounts etc. It was a bitch to draw this frame plate and many revisions.

I'm seriously considering doing the back end of the bike from scratch at this point. It's a lot of work to fit things to the hacked up frame and if I was free to redo it, I think I can draw things out and weld them up straight without having to deal with what is there. Your thoughts?

Nessmuk
Old 07-24-2013, 07:26 AM   #18
Entrepre-neer
Ultimate Tight A$$

Oddometer: 422
My thoughts....I wish I had your work space and tools.

CB900 Scrambler - Build Thread http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=886759
Entrepre-neer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:06 PM   #19
sailah OP
Lampin' it

^^haha yeah it's pretty nice.

I resumed on the frame mods. Spent all day grinding and mostly filing away to get the 10.25" clearance I needed for the swingarm. It was a LONG day. Made some pivot bosses as well.

Haven't welded anything yet just got things lined up

The wheel is the right diameter but not the wheel I'll be using. The bike is sitting a bit low right now, esp with no sag. I'll wait to change the mounts until I get the forks mounted to ensure I don't box myself in with the rake angle.

Got my sportster hub in (first Harley part I have ever bought...) Why the hell do they use tapered roller bearings? I had to weld a fat bead on the inner races to get them to drop out. I made up an adapter to bolt the hub to so I can chuck it in the lathe. The plan is to machine out the hub for 47mm OD bearings that way I can press in some metric bearings with a 25mm ID for the Aprilia axle. The hub has about a 45mm bore right now. It also seriously heavy. I'll need to weld it and then face it again. Fun project. I used the same CAD file for the rotor adapters from the Sportster hub to 320mm Suzuki rotors.

Nessmuk
Old 08-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #20
Keith
Slabbing it

Oddometer: 837
Coool
Old 08-17-2013, 05:16 AM   #21
duckman
"sic gorgiamus allos

Oddometer: 865
i wish you lived next door to me, you have the skills, tools and energy that i lack.
and no do rags
'we gladly feast on those who would subdue us'
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:07 AM   #22
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,400
I see that you have one of those welding tables that Jody on weldingtipsandtrick.com hawks. Those things look NICE.

Having access to the water jet (best tool EVAR!) has really enabled you to bring your game to a whole new level.

Looking fantastic!!
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:44 AM   #23
ktmklx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
Great progress, your builds have a fast pace to them, keeps us entertained.
ktmklx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:21 AM   #24
pennswoodsed
lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer: 668
Career choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
designed the rotor spacer for the Hayabusa rotors to the Harley hub. Inventor moves between inches and mm so easily, made this in about 2 minutes and same amount of time on the WJ I'll have a aluminum adapter. I suspect I'll need to use the lathe to get the thickness I need for the rotors to line up with the Aprilia/Brembo radial calipers. I want to leave the front Aprilia fork setup stock becuase I also have a Shiver 750 wheel that I can bolt on if I want to go with a set of sticky tires.

Hard to believe that you don't do this for a living. But you might be burned out and jaded if you had had to earn your bacon doing this for others.
pennswoodsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:05 PM   #25
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Thanks dudes. Been on a self imposed break lately. On vacation actually at the moment.

I've really been enjoying the ninjas lately and not building as much. I suspect I will get after it soon. The tracker replica parts are probably about a two weeks away from delivery. I still need to to pick up the front end from my buddy.

I work at a feverish pace then I get burned out. I need breaks for perspective or else you make mistakes.

I have a feeling this will be my last build for awhile. Buying a business soon and I suspect free time will be short.

Nessmuk
Old 08-19-2013, 02:33 PM   #26
4play
Next?

Oddometer: 2,278
I'm having so much fun with the Ninja I'm condsidering building a tracker version. We have miles & miles of fire roads here...
Old 08-20-2013, 07:28 AM   #27
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4play View Post
I'm having so much fun with the Ninja I'm condsidering building a tracker version. We have miles & miles of fire roads here...
I'm rarely impressed by a motor,but the 650 is a riot. Maybe not as hooligan as the ktm 950 lump but very fun.

Nessmuk
Old 08-21-2013, 10:49 AM   #28
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,400
Yep, we have 2 of them at our house. RacerWife has a Versys (which she absolutely adores) and I have a Ninja that turned out to be so useful, so pleasant a bike that I didn't feel right hacking it up for a dirt version.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote