User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2013, 06:12 AM   #1
Kedgi OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Cool2 A Superior Ride

Many years ago when I was an Air Traffic Controller I would occasionally have the opportunity to travel in the jump seat on aircraft. (in the cockpit with the pilots)

On one of those occasions I flew out of Toronto to Edmonton. We departed Toronto as the sun was setting and chased it across Lake Superior. At the Western edge of the Lake we were looking at the road that runs between Duluth MN and Thunder Bay ON. The captain remarked on how many times he had flown over that road and how beautiful it looked.

That has to be 20 years ago and i am finally going to get the chance to ride that road. I plan to leave my place in Shediac tomorrow morning and head West for a Superior Ride, on my Superior Ride, my new KTM 990 Adventure.

I plan to spend tomorrow night in NH with friends and then blast across PA to stay with more friends in Export (just east of Pittsburgh) From there ride out to Ankeny IA to see even more friends, then head from there to the Sault, ride clockwise around Lake Superior back to the Sault and then figure out a way back home.

Along the way I hope to meet Gnarly Adventurer bESS who is riding from Vancouver to the East Coast. He and I have met online but never in person. bESS (Bob) was an avid reader of my ride report "Lobsters to Llamas, Maritimes to Argentina" You can see it here.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=832336

Bob is writing a report, "Pink Crocs in search of Lobsters" which you can see here.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=899359

You should see us cross paths on the road and then meet up again here in Shediac.

I'm packing stuff today, getting ready to Blast Off! Stay tuned!

Kedgi
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:49 AM   #2
Scootard
Twist-n-Go

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
a Superior Ride, on my Superior Ride, my new KTM 990 Adventure.

Hey Dwight:
IN
Old 07-15-2013, 08:00 AM   #3
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 725
Alright, position reports required. Let's make it reasonable, every two degrees of latitude and every five degrees of longitude, missing your original estimate of arrival by more than a day, or anything interesting. We won't require you to use HF radio nor maintain the Master Flight Plan Document for six months. Altitude and speed your discretion. Have a good crossing.
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:54 AM   #4
Kedgi OP
Banned

Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootard View Post
Hey Dwight:
IN
Welcome aboard!
Old 07-15-2013, 08:55 AM   #5
Kedgi OP
Banned

Please remain seated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
Alright, position reports required. Let's make it reasonable, every two degrees of latitude and every five degrees of longitude, missing your original estimate of arrival by more than a day, or anything interesting. We won't require you to use HF radio nor maintain the Master Flight Plan Document for six months. Altitude and speed your discretion. Have a good crossing.
Please remain seated with your seatbelts fastened!

Kedgi
Old 07-15-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
novaboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
........and your table trays in the upright and locked position
https://www.youtube.com/user/fundypaddlesurf/videos
novaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:12 PM   #7
Hevy Kevy
ADDRider

Oddometer: 166
IN..... AGAIN!!! Doors always open Dwight. May hook up with you at some point, me and the missus are roaming.
Hevy Kevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:16 AM   #8
Kedgi OP
Banned

Cool2 Cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hevy Kevy View Post
IN..... AGAIN!!! Doors always open Dwight. May hook up with you at some point, me and the missus are roaming.

Cool

That would be great!
Old 07-16-2013, 01:22 AM   #9
Kedgi OP
Banned

5:15 on a Tuesday

It's 5:15 Tuesday morning I am up having my coffee and almost ready to go. I'm just waiting for it to be light enough to ride.

Three Saint John friends of mine have decided to meet me on my way through and two will likely accompany me on a morning ride to the border. Cool!

Had a long night. Really hot sticky and uncomfortable here. The Maritimes don't get enough of this weather for us to get used to it or buy an air conditioner so it was a restless night.

I'm looking forward to seeing my friends in NH tonight.

More later

Kedgi
Old 07-16-2013, 02:46 AM   #10
dovetailredux
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Well, you're heading into the sauna, my friend: brutal heat right now in the Northeast. Drink lots of water and have a great trip.
dovetailredux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:03 AM   #11
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 636
Great country....

I rode around Lake Superior in 2011 and it's still my favorite ride. Thanks for the RR....

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Ride

Oldone screwed with this post 07-20-2013 at 10:13 AM
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:22 AM   #12
novaboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
Good to see ya this morning Dwight, nice to finally meet Tom and to ride with you both, even if it was a short ride.

Hot day for riding, us maritimers aren't used to this kind of heat. 31C in St. Stephen and no wind when we left Kedgi at the U.S. border.

We stopped at Tom's place, and their friend Jimmy had this beautiful BMW.

Saying goodbye at the border. Have a good trip, and stay safe. See you in Labrador.

https://www.youtube.com/user/fundypaddlesurf/videos
novaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:40 PM   #13
Scootard
Twist-n-Go

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
Please remain seated with your seatbelts fastened!

Kedgi
KTM990 descend and maintain tarmac level, position vertical, report when crossing poutine and brew....
Old 07-16-2013, 02:24 PM   #14
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,567
Did that trip a couple years ago. It is great. The north shore is pretty well straight forward for travel. Take time to stop at a few of the beaches etc especially if there is a nice strong south wind. Cannonshot has some great ideas for riding south of the border in Wisconsin and Michigan seen here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=627424.

Follow his "big bike go around" routes and all will be great. Don't miss the Houghton / Copper Harbour area and the Keweenaw peninsula. Also the ride up to the Whitefish lighthouse is nice with an Edmond Fitzgerald display

Find us on Spot http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...YGllfEZqqxYWcA
dryden_rider_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:27 PM   #15
Kedgi OP
Banned

Laugh A Little Fried

I'm a little fried after a Hot ride down from NB to Alton Bay NH

I want to go back to last week before I start this update and tell you guys, Angele and I had a wonderful visit from Lowrider_Bud and inmate from these pages who made his way from Houston TX to Shediac NB on his KLR 650. Awesome! Bud was a reader of my Lobsters to Llamas RR and we got to talking and he came to visit the Maritimes

Meet Bud...a real gentleman

Today was hot...check this out....

That's the time on the left and the temperature when I stopped, on the right.

OK, the sensor was probably getting some engine heat but it was consistantly 35C in Southern Maine today

I didn't take many pictures but I see Terry did, he and Tom joined me for the run to the border. We also saw my friend Jimmy who told us about a cool place just north of Bangor Me where a guy has a spot called Sidecars plus (at least I think that was the name, I think it is in Hanover ME. The guy sells nothing he just has an all encompassing collection of hundreds of side cars. 100's of them. So cool what you find out when you see your motorcycle buddies.

Tom and Terry accompanied me to the border, stopped in to see a friend of Tom on their way home to Saint John who has a huge collection of japanese Bikes and Tom provided this link for all to enjoy.

http://www.classicjapcycles.com/

Like I say it's cool when you meet "bike" friends

I made it to my friends Reine and Brent's beutiful home in NH

Their place,

This is where we had a great BBQ.

The picture doesn't do their view justice but they are about 1000' above the valley at the south end of Lake Winnipesaukee, Awesome!

Meet Reine and Brent, longtime friends of Mine and Angele's who we met in Key West FL many years ago.

Meet Reine and Brent

Great friends and Outstanding hosts.

Tomorrow...Export PA

Stay tuned..

Kedgi