Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2013, 10:24 PM   #1
BullShatter OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
An Unexpected Get-off in Mexico on my GS...Video Included!!

The Back Story:

Earlier this year I took two months off from work and traveled from my home in Scottsdale, AZ through Mexico, Guatemala, and Belize. A grand total of 10,000 miles. I was riding my 2009 BMW 1200 GS. Three weeks into the trip Murphy raised his ugly head and swept my steed from under me.

I was riding with a friend and fellow rider, Ross, from New Hampshire. We were enroute from the Monarch Butterfly Biosphere in Angangueo to Taxco. We were traveling on Mex Hwy 15. I typically always wear full gear. however, on this afternoon I had just taken my jacket off a BMW Rallye 3 Pro, leaving only a long sleeve cotton shirt on my upper body.

Both Ross and I spied the upcoming curves and I turned my GoPro on and I lead the charge. As I entered the 1st curve at 40 MPH the smooth asphalt suddenly became very glossy and shiny, immediately I felt the rear tire release its grip and challenge the front tire for the lead. The bike just slid out from under me as if I was was teleported to the center of a Hockey Rink. As the bike went down and continued it's slide, I released my my grip and begin my wild slide, first on my ass, then on my left side and left elbow, culminating with an abrupt stop in the concrete drainage culvert. Naturally I used my hands to brace my stop as I rolled into the culvert at full speed.

WTF Just Happened
I appeared that a truck had dumped a load of kitchen grease or used motor oil along the road for a distance of a quarter mile. As soon as I came to a rest Ross pulled past me to a stop. He had witnessed the accident and was able to steer clear of the slick by moving to the outside of the lane. In the blink of an eye a motorist had pulled over, gotten out and began flagging traffic, two other Mexicans seemingly materialized from the woods and helped Ross lift the bike from the culvert and get it upright, all the while slipping and sliding on the roadway. We quickly realized our precarious position and decided to ride down the hill before we assessed my injuries and the damage to the bike. We thanked the two Mexicans and headed down to the first turnout we could find.

You bet your ass I rode down that hill as gingerly and slowly as possible! Fortunately we were only 45 minutes to the suburb of Toluca and 90 minutes to Mexico City and my choice of 3 BMW Motorrad Dealers.

I ended up spending 4 days in Mexico City and working with Munich Motors (BMW Dealer in Santa Fe neighborhood of Mexico City) on repairs and parts. In the end, the Insurance agreed to allow me to get repairs done in the US. A tech from Munich Motors sold me the left control switch and a mirror with installation for $150.

Damage Assessment
My Gear:
Helmet, Schuberth C3
- No damage, my head never touched the ground

Gloves, BMW GS Gloves
- Pad on the Right Pad Torn off

Pants, BMW Rallye Pro 3
- 1st layer of Cordura fabric torn off Right knee

Boots, BMW All Round
- Scuffs on toes and heels

Cotton Long Sleeved T-Shirt
- Oil Stained, no tears or rips

The Bike:
Left Side Control Switch that houses the ABS, Turn Signal, horn etc.
- smashed

Left side Mirror
- shattered and torn off

GPS, Garmin Zumo 550 and Mount
- GPS Unit torn from mount, mount smashed

Z-Tecknik Engine Guards
- Left side crash bar snapped from mount and bent forward

Jesse Safari Bags
- They saved the rear of the bike, left bag tweaked and will not lock, mount and welds broken and snapped in half.

Injuries to me:
Minor Road Rash on left Forearm
- A testament to how slippery the road was, no tearing of my cotton shirt, only oil stains on my sleeve.

Wrists
- What I thought were two sprained wrists, the left more severe than the right. It was only when I returned to AZ did I get X-Rays and discover that each was broken. The left wrist will most likely need surgery.

Before the ride and the wreck:

And After...with the new farkles...TT Crash Bars Upper and Lower, TT Desierto 3 Fairing, Garmin 610t GPS and TT Mount, Leo Vince Carbon Slip-on

And the only remaining reminder of the wreck, this gouge in my tank plastic from the GPS Mount

In the end
Fortunately, I did have a full coverage Mexican Insurance Policy in force with a $1000 deductible. After I had an estimate done at my local dealer ($4000) is was able to get all needed repairs done with only $600 out-of-pocket costs, this also included a new set of Heideneau’s and the 30K service.

The wreck was all part of this wonderful adventure. I wouldn't hesitate in doing it again.

BullShatter screwed with this post 07-16-2013 at 06:52 AM
BullShatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:25 AM   #2
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 2,912
-
____

8 lives left!
Old 07-16-2013, 02:36 PM   #3
74C5
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 905
There's a lot to be said for not blazing on unfamiliar roads. Good judgement and safe rides! Tell them you are allergic to morpheine for surgery and want fentanyl instead.
74C5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:52 PM   #4
Gizzaride
Banned

Oddometer: 191
Thumb

Sorry about your wreck, but just look at that real pukka 'bike that you have now!!!
Gizzaride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:06 PM   #5
BullShatter OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzaride View Post
Sorry about your wreck, but just look at that real pukka 'bike that you have now!!!

That is a great point...I came out of it with a nicer bike than I went into it with!!!
Old 07-16-2013, 03:10 PM   #6
BullShatter OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74C5 View Post
There's a lot to be said for not blazing on unfamiliar roads. Good judgement and safe rides! Tell them you are allergic to morpheine for surgery and want fentanyl instead.

Up until that point we were, naively blazing many of the unfamiliar roads, especially between Mazatlan and Durango on the Espinoze del Diablo. In hindsight, we were very lucky and learned a valuable lesson.

However, in this instance, even if I were only traveling at 25 mph, the road was so slippery the bike would never have stayed upright. The only avoidance would to have been traveling on the outside of the lane.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:10 PM   #7
Robert_W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Ouch! Glad you're OK. (well except for the wrist thing.)

Funny I think I heard you hit the horn on your way down. I did the exact same thing on a low side the other way! All that scraping sounded WAY too familiar. But for some reason the sound of the horn sticks in my head. I remember thinking as I saw my boots against a clear blue sky...WTF did I hit the horn!

BTW...I don't think you were riding inappropriately. Shit happens. No way to know.
www.kroutfitters.com
Robert_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:18 PM   #8
BullShatter OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W View Post
Ouch! Glad you're OK. (well except for the wrist thing.)

Funny I think I heard you hit the horn on your way down. I did the exact same thing on a low side the other way! All that scraping sounded WAY too familiar. But for some reason the sound of the horn sticks in my head. I remember thinking as I saw my boots against a clear blue sky...WTF did I hit the horn!

BTW...I don't think you were riding inappropriately. Shit happens. No way to know.

Now that funny, the two things that stick in my mind are the horn, and the feeling of the rear tire completely letting go!
Old 07-17-2013, 08:34 PM   #9
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 749
Eh? Y. I. K. E. S.

Sonofabitch, that was quick!!!

Reminds me of a snowy incident on a GS in Canada in Feb.

I didn't manage to honk the horn though...

Weird to see sparks from my bike sliding over streetcar tracks in a nice light snowfall.

I really think your accident was unavoidable; just one of those things.

Mine, of course, was sheer youthful stupidity, and lack of cage.

Cool that your ins covered this.

How does that work w/ no one at fault?

Glad you were OK, and came out of this w/ a great attitude.

I really love your bike!!!!

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:20 PM   #10
G is for Guiness
Mr. n00b to you sir!

Oddometer: 47
NOt to get off topic...........

"Tell them you are allergic to Morphine for surgery and want Fentanyl instead".

Exactly why is that?
G is for Guiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:51 AM   #11
BullShatter OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I was thinking the same...but thought it best not to ask!!!
Old 07-19-2013, 09:50 AM   #12
Robert_W
Gnarly Adventurer

Besides plugging one up tighter than a bulls ass in fly season ...Morphine tends to wreck your stomach and make you feel like crap. Fentanyl may not bind things up so bad or make you feel constantly like death warmed over. But it's real easy to get hooked on. The high from Fentanyl is wonderful but you tend to not remember things and you can die real easy from OD. You know that buzz you get right before surgery that you wish would last longer than 5 seconds before you pass out? That's typically Fentanyl. (amongst other things in the cocktail)
www.kroutfitters.com
Old 07-19-2013, 11:03 AM   #13
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W View Post
Besides plugging one up tighter than a bulls ass in fly season ...Morphine tends to wreck your stomach and make you feel like crap. Fentanyl may not bind things up so bad or make you feel constantly like death warmed over. But it's real easy to get hooked on. The high from Fentanyl is wonderful but you tend to not remember things and you can die real easy from OD. You know that buzz you get right before surgery that you wish would last longer than 5 seconds before you pass out? That's typically Fentanyl. (amongst other things in the cocktail)
Has a lot to do with the Versed. You really don,t have to worry about getting hooked on Fentanyl if you don't go seeking it after your surgery.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:31 PM   #14
Robert_W
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Has a lot to do with the Versed. You really don,t have to worry about getting hooked on Fentanyl if you don't go seeking it after your surgery.
Not to derail this thread and as an aside...I know it's not your typically accessible drug...but I knew some one very well years ago who worked in an OR and was stealing the stuff...they found her 5 minutes before she was due in surgery in a nurses locker room stall...dead...with a 2 cc syringe in her pocket. It was Fentanyl that she was using / stealing along with every other Opiate derivative she could get her hands on. Subsequent investigation afterwards showed that this type of behavior and use is a lot more common among hospital staff than the general public wants to know.
www.kroutfitters.com
Old 07-19-2013, 01:07 PM   #15
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,247
Just watched the clip...

That was quick! Glad it was a left hand curve and not a right!