Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #16
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,356
You are not the first person to get bit by someone dumping oil on the road in Mexico. Good that you were not badly hurt. And it's a great warning for people who travel down there. Cars blow up and dump oil.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:23 PM   #17
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,798
First, I'm glad you're mostly OK.

I watched the same thing happen to my wife in the rear view mirror in MX. Going up hill round a curve I spotted the oil drops in the road getting closer together. Just around a blind corner was where the truck / car kicked the rod out (I'm speculating here). I saw the puddle and swerved around it, wife went right through it. Other than some gear scuffs, no damage to body or bike.

Glad you bike got fixed. Hope the wrists come out even better.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:33 PM   #18
BullShatter OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
MJS...Thank goodness your wife came out of it unscathed! I just chalked it up to all part of the adventure! Outside of the US there are just a different set of variables that can crop up, you just never know what is around the next corner....Thanks for sharing!!!
Old 07-28-2013, 07:17 PM   #19
CaptCapsize
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Thanks! Your video helped

I want to thank you for posting the video. I am a fairly new rider and I read the face plant page to learn from others mishaps.

I watched the video a couple of times before I could see the oil on the street that took you down. Yesterday while riding home I saw the same coloration in the right side of the lane on on a curve. I went left and missed the slick. I saw a crushed one gallon oil container beside the road. It probably fell out of someone truck and a was spread by traffic. Without seeing your video I may not have noticed. Your video very likely saved me from an ugly get off.
CaptCapsize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:18 AM   #20
mhpr262
Summer is coming

Oddometer: 3,192
Oil is treacherous stuff. Last year a rider was killed here because somebody had thrown a glass bottle full of oil on the road, right in a curve. It was assumed it was some motorcycle hating cager ... the bastard hasn't been caught yet.
mhpr262 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:53 PM   #21
Cale_Kat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
I missed the oil slick the first time I viewed it...I was focusing on your line through the curve which was pretty bad. I wasn't there so I don't know what the roads are like but in the states, where consistently well paved roads are the rule not the exception, I would have set up for the turn on the right and crossed through the apex on my way out. You were set up on the left which is a much less forgiving line.

Heal up and keep riding. Thanks for posting.
Cale_Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:14 PM   #22
Bobby Ginger
Cat Herder

Oddometer: 879
This is my biggest fear right now. I ride pretty conservatively most of the time. Your lean angle does not seem excessive. I find my self riding more and more dirt, and I am carful in traffic. I stay away from trucks, I don't let people pace me, and I am always on the lookout for left turners. I need to start focusing more on the road conditions. Thanks for posting, heal fast brother!
Old 08-05-2013, 06:00 PM   #23
bigalsmith101
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 840
Eh...

The way I see it, the only reason your alive is that St. Christophers pendant you're wearing in the video....

Good to see a low-side with no injuries!

p.s. just to be certain, I'm only kidding, mostly. I wear one everyday I travel no matter where I am, and most days at home as well.
bigalsmith101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:07 PM   #24
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,280
The first thing I saw was the shine of oil. Holy shit that was quick, huh? No time for anything.

Glad you're okay. Could you finish the trip or did you have to trailer it back? (sorry if I missed that)
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:34 AM   #25
Chazzard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Glad you're ok.. Crap! This same kind of get off happened to me the year before last on a steep downhill right hand decreasing radius corner. I slid through oil, it was so slick I could hardly walk back to the motorcycle to pick it up.

You beeped the horn on your way across the road, safety first. Good job.
Chazzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:15 AM   #26
adventurebound9517
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
That video was ugly, nasty crash. I'm glad you were able to get your self home unassisted. On the other hand the newly remodeled bike looks great.
adventurebound9517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:01 PM   #27
MoodyBlues
Hey! Watch this.

Oddometer: 395
Damn gravity works fast, huh. Glad you're ok and the scoot lived to burn some more fuel. Reminded me of a similar situation I got into last year headed out of CopperCanyon. Except it was a farm truck leaking liquid manure! Was able to keep it up, but damn I already wondering if I packed any antiseptic before I stopped...

Live and learn. Good luck.

'11 BMW F800GS lava orange, '08 Kawasaki Concours, '06 ZX-10R track bike
'13 KTM 500 XC-W
MoodyBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:51 AM   #28
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by 74C5 View Post
There's a lot to be said for not blazing on unfamiliar roads. Good judgement and safe rides!
I dont think he was blazing at all. You would be lucky to keep the bike upright at 15 mph over that stuff. But yes, if he was really motoring, that could have been a very bad encounter with that culvert or into oncoming traffic if it were a right hander.

Oil, diesel spill on the roads in Latin America are not uncommon. I cannot count the number of times I noticed a little different shade in part of the pavement and was able to steer clear at the last second, yep, some kind of slippery crap on the road. For some strange reason I saw a lot more in Venezuela than anywhere else. If its raining at all, or lots of tree shadows on the road (as in this case), youre pretty much screwed as you'll most likely never see it while looking through the turn.

Not much you can do about this. Either you get lucky and detect it before the bike departs from under you, or not. Its a roll of the dice and always impresses me how quickly things go to shit. Hitting that culvert had to smart a little. Glad you were pretty much unscathed for the most part. Could have been a lot worse. Like one guy said: 9 lives -1 = 8. The bike seemed to recover pretty well.

After a couple of respectable pavement get offs including one high side superman over the bars, palms of the hands down on the asphalt routine, I'm pretty sold on Kevlar mesh or stretch kevlar gear. Another a 70 mph slide/roll down some Mexican asphalt with minimal damage to the gear. Bike had to be beat/ziptied/welded back into a ridable condition to get home but did OK considering.

crashmaster screwed with this post 08-17-2013 at 06:08 AM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote