Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2013, 09:21 PM   #16
WeeBee
Roaming ADV Gnome

Oddometer: 1,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasteam View Post
Well...every year we have some kind off gossip floating around about new Africa Twin. With our hopes up , we get pretty disappointed every time when we realize it's just a rumor .
This time I think it's a real deal . Why do you think all of the sudden Honda decided to run a factory team in Paris Dakar rally ? I think they using it as a real world lab to do research and can you find a better lab for off road adventure oriented bike than Paris Dakar rally ???
I hope Big Red is for real this time ...
I hope the rumors are real too as I may well be in the market in 2015 for a new Adventure bike. As to Honda using the Dakar Rally to possibly test a prototype of the rumored new AT, I thought the Rally had a 450cc maximum limit?

WeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:42 AM   #17
lukasteam
Life is beautiful !!!

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalTA View Post
I hope the rumors are real too as I may well be in the market in 2015 for a new Adventure bike. As to Honda using the Dakar Rally to possibly test a prototype of the rumored new AT, I thought the Rally had a 450cc maximum limit?
Yes, they put a 450 cc limit a while ago to stop KTM reign and make other brands more competitive. Although Honda used the existing bike crf450 for last Dakar, I think lessons learned can be used to build any off road oriented bike.
I'm due for an updated off road oriented adventure bike too , so far I see only Yamaha Super Tenere as a replacement for an Africa Twin , a little on a heavy side Yamaha is an excellent go around the world machine . I'm still holding tight to what Honda is up to . I hope they won't leave us hanging for long...
lukasteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:32 AM   #18
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalTA View Post
There are other rallies like the Pharons.rally which is more of a "run what you brung" type of thing.

But really a bike that is great for "real world use" is a bit different and it should be judged by that, don't you think?

Honda could go soft roader or hard core. I am sure they have ample expertise either way.

It will be more a case of whether they want to impress the wannabe, which is a much larger market, or the hardcore which is small, or take the limited production path and do the real deal and hope that the wannabe's just buy because it makes them look hardcore.
But that might require a prime time TV documentary series as a back up.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 08-06-2013 at 03:38 AM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:25 AM   #19
ZBone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknot View Post
And while we're tripping in Neverland Michael Jackson will do a song and dance for us.
Sad but true....
ZBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:42 AM   #20
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamalama View Post
Legal to import to North America in ...........2030.
There is hope. Honda has officialy registered the name 'Africa Twin' for the US marked:

Quote:
Rumors have long been around that Honda was looking to bring back the Africa Twin model to its line-up; and with a quick scrolling through Honda America’s “Adventure” category, one can see that the less-than-inspiring odd-couple that are the Honda NC700X and Honda CB500X, while fine machines they might be (though we’ve heard the word “soulless” used more than once to describe them), proper adventure-bikes they surely are not.

With the tuning-fork brand putting out the stout Yamaha Super Ténéré, and Suzuki teasing the 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000, Honda and Kawasaki have been late to the Great American Adventure Bike party – though at least Team Green fanatics can pretend like the Versys is a viable option for this category.
With Europeans having a variety of adventure motorcycles to chose from in the Honda brand, bikes like the Honda Transalp, Honda Crossrunner, Honda Varadero, and Honda Crosstourer, us Americans have been left out in the cold.

Well, that might be set to change, as our stroll yesterday though the USPTO’s online database (check-out our find on upcoming Ducati Scrambler) has revealed that Honda Motor Co. has registered “Africa Twin” for use in the American market. Could a proper adventure-tourer from Honda be headed our way?

We can’t of course definitively say for sure at this point, but there is at least some evidence to suggest that a new Honda Africa Twin is on the horizon, as Vito Cicchetti, the General Manager of Honda Italy has tipped as much to Italy’s venerable La Gazzetta dello Sport magazine.

Saying the machine would debut at the 2014 INTERMOT show, and be a 2015 model with a two-cylinder engine, Cicchetti was tight-lipped on just about every other detail, though the finding of Honda’s trademark with the USPTO does seem to throw support behind the news.

Considering Honda’s ADV landscape in Europe, it will be interesting to see how Big Red fits an Africa Twin into its line-up, and whether the model will replace anything currently on the table in Europe.
Will the new Africa Twin go back to its roots as a 650cc model? Or, will Honda bump the machine into the 800cc or 1,2000cc categories that are becoming more popular with buyers?
As always, time will tell, but for one reason or another, Honda intends to use the Africa Twin model name on a motorcycle, and it chose to file for that use just over a month ago. More news as we get it.
I'm not going to start another 'new Africa Twin' topic here... the last time the desolution was a NC700X...

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:43 AM   #21
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
There are other rallies like the Pharons.rally which is more of a "run what you brung" type of thing.

But really a bike that is great for "real world use" is a bit different and it should be judged by that, don't you think?

Honda could go soft roader or hard core. I am sure they have ample expertise either way.

It will be more a case of whether they want to impress the wannabe, which is a much larger market, or the hardcore which is small, or take the limited production path and do the real deal and hope that the wannabe's just buy because it makes them look hardcore.
But that might require a prime time TV documentary series as a back up.
They already have the one they thought the "wannabe" would want.

So now they should build the "other" one. :)

(The dirty one)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 08-08-2013, 09:53 AM   #22
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,474
2014 reveal for 2015. That means a bullshit concept bike this year, a year's wait amid much frenzied web activity, followed by a total disaster of a launch, no US release and much scratching of heads at Honda Europe over why the new model is a sales turd.

I still have difficulty believing this is the same company who took 18 months from initial meeting to launch on the CB750..and changed the bike industry totally in the mean time.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:51 AM   #23
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,527
Yes, there's just not alot of immediacy at Honda these days in this segment.
There is from the other mfg who are charging full steam ahead.
I'd say Yamaha will release a 850 triple XC bike in the mean time and pull all the wind out of Honda's sails. Over and over Honda is late to the party and then it does not work out for them.

Honda seems to be all about cheap and fuel efficient bikes these days. That is their core focus. It's working for them. Once the great leader, Honda is now the Kymco of motorcycle mfg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvt1 View Post
2014 reveal for 2015. That means a bullshit concept bike this year, a year's wait amid much frenzied web activity, followed by a total disaster of a launch, no US release and much scratching of heads at Honda Europe over why the new model is a sales turd.

I still have difficulty believing this is the same company who took 18 months from initial meeting to launch on the CB750..and changed the bike industry totally in the mean time.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:28 PM   #24
ROYMACNIC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Don't think it'll happen ,but even if it does I don't think I'd be tempted to change from my RD04 ,it does all I need from a bike anyway,even at over 20 years old!
Old 08-08-2013, 02:18 PM   #25
diskow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
Yes, there's just not alot of immediacy at Honda these days in this segment.
There is from the other mfg who are charging full steam ahead.
I'd say Yamaha will release a 850 triple XC bike in the mean time and pull all the wind out of Honda's sails. Over and over Honda is late to the party and then it does not work out for them.

Honda seems to be all about cheap and fuel efficient bikes these days. That is their core focus. It's working for them. Once the great leader, Honda is now the Kymco of motorcycle mfg.
WTF are You talking about ? ? ?

:)
diskow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:04 PM   #26
scoutDad
IBA#203

Oddometer: 312
Honda Africa Twin coming to US?

Saw the following info posted to an ST1300 list today:

Could it be? Is Honda going to bring in the big guns to compete with BMW.
We'll just have to wait and see if the rumors pan out. I think this might be the first step.

Word Mark AFRICA TWIN
Goods and Services IC 012. US 019 021 023 031 035 044. G & S: Motorcycles and their structural parts
Standard Characters Claimed
Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Serial Number 86000604
Filing Date July 2, 2013
Current Basis 1B
Original Filing Basis 1B
Owner (APPLICANT) Honda Motor Co., Ltd. CORPORATION JAPAN No. 1-1, 2-chome, Minami-Aoyama Minato-ku, Tokyo JAPAN 107-8556
Attorney of Record Dyan Finguerra-DuCharme
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

Anyone else heard anything?
06 KLX250, 07 KLX250, 06 KLX250
1 scoutDad, 2 Eagles, and 3 KLX’s heading to Colorado
scoutDad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:50 PM   #27
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,003
Here...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=904285

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:28 AM   #28
scoutDad
IBA#203

filing for AT name in the US?

Saw the following info posted to an ST1300 list today:

Could it be? Is Honda going to bring in the big guns to compete with BMW.
We'll just have to wait and see if the rumors pan out. I think this might be the first step.

Word Mark AFRICA TWIN
Goods and Services IC 012. US 019 021 023 031 035 044. G & S: Motorcycles and their structural parts
Standard Characters Claimed
Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Serial Number 86000604
Filing Date July 2, 2013
Current Basis 1B
Original Filing Basis 1B
Owner (APPLICANT) Honda Motor Co., Ltd. CORPORATION JAPAN No. 1-1, 2-chome, Minami-Aoyama Minato-ku, Tokyo JAPAN 107-8556
Attorney of Record Dyan Finguerra-DuCharme
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE
Old 08-09-2013, 05:30 AM   #29
scoutDad
IBA#203

Thanks for the link, did not see that thread prior to posting.
No point in having two, so I will consider this one closed.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:27 AM   #30
lukasteam
Life is beautiful !!!

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs View Post
There is hope. Honda has officialy registered the name 'Africa Twin' for the US marked:

I'm not going to start another 'new Africa Twin' topic here... the last time the desolution was a NC700X...
Thanks for the scoop "Two Plugs" and "Scoutdad" good info . I hope it all works out and we'll finally get the long over due replacement for old AT.
Shaft and hydraulic clutch please
lukasteam is offline   Reply With Quote