Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2013, 12:50 PM   #31
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvt1 View Post
2014 reveal for 2015. That means a bullshit concept bike this year, a year's wait amid much frenzied web activity, followed by a total disaster of a launch, no US release and much scratching of heads at Honda Europe over why the new model is a sales turd.

I still have difficulty believing this is the same company who took 18 months from initial meeting to launch on the CB750..and changed the bike industry totally in the mean time.
They make badass lawnmowers though.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:39 PM   #32
A-Wind
Andreas RD07a

Oddometer: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasteam View Post
Thanks for the scoop "Two Plugs" and "Scoutdad" good info . I hope it all works out and we'll finally get the long over due replacement for old AT.
Shaft and hydraulic clutch please
...cupholders

…and a thick, wide and heated seat with extra low seat height for sure step, in order to encourage even the least experienced two wheeler, who wants to buy in the adventure theme.

…don't forget the (nowadays seemingly obligatory) easy access oil filter right in front of the engine, so the gnarly adventurer won't drink too much of the precious dealer cappuccino, while the bike is in the shop for service.

other than, as predicted before :
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=4296

A-Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:47 PM   #33
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Wind View Post
Seriously. you forgot the USB and thunder port connectors and the built in 1TB drive with pre-installed image / video processing and effects software. Where the default GoPro in the Headlights?

How you can pretend to have an Adventure Ready product without multimedia storage / processing and cloud services ability is beyond me.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:53 AM   #34
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,502
Quote:
2014 reveal for 2015. That means a bullshit concept bike this year, a year's wait amid much frenzied web activity, followed by a total disaster of a launch, no US release and much scratching of heads at Honda Europe over why the new model is a sales turd.

I still have difficulty believing this is the same company who took 18 months from initial meeting to launch on the CB750..and changed the bike industry totally in the mean time.
Boy ain't this the truth. Unfortunately, it's not the "same" company anymore, it just has the same name.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:29 AM   #35
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,876
Quote:

Yes, I remember a time when Honda seemed like it was on fire with new and exciting products. They have made a lot of really good and interesting bikes in the past ........

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
Yes, there's just not alot of immediacy at Honda these days in this segment.
There is from the other mfg who are charging full steam ahead.
I'd say Yamaha will release a 850 triple XC bike in the mean time and pull all the wind out of Honda's sails. Over and over Honda is late to the party and then it does not work out for them.
I for one hope Honda Inc pulls it's collective head out of the sand and gives the USA a shot at a revised Africa Twin. Triumph, BMW, KTM, Yamaha, ...... they seem to be keyed into something...... umm...... like market demand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
Honda seems to be all about cheap and fuel efficient bikes these days. That is their core focus. It's working for them. Once the great leader, Honda is now the Kymco of motorcycle mfg.
It seems to me like Honda has lost it's direction and fire ever since the founder passed away. They have been wandering around wondering what to build and how to price it.

Most of their stuff is over priced or boring. Now they are trying to capture the new riders, I applaud that, but give them something exciting to move up to.

They completely bailed on the PWC market leaving most of us Aquatrax owners wondering what the hell happened. They had an excellent product right out of the gate but their marketing strategy was abysmal at best and the way they treated their own dealers in regards to that product was worse. I've never seen a company shoot itself in both feet so badly.

I've got my fingers loosely crossed that we'll see a new Africa Twin here in the states in the next "few" years, just about the time the other companies have created a loyal following for their 3rd generation bikes..... and the quite possibly a "new" KLR becomes reality, LOL. OMG, don't get me started. Mostly the land of the sleeping sun.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:38 PM   #36
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
Most of their stuff is over priced or boring. Now they are trying to capture the new riders, I applaud that, but give them something exciting to move up to..
Well said, I hope the new AT is mid-sized, and replaces the XRunner rather than sit alongside the XTourer.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:05 PM   #37
WeeBee
Roaming ADV Gnome

Oddometer: 1,528
Saw a Yamaha 1200 Super Tenere at a Dealer the other day. All I could think looking at it was - what a huge, bloated, whale. If Honda does put a new AT out and it's a fat, high displacement pig like the BMW 1200 GS or Yamaha Super Tanker, I wont be buying one .

WeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:59 PM   #38
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalTA View Post
Saw a Yamaha 1200 Super Tenere at a Dealer the other day. All I could think looking at it was - what a huge, bloated, whale. If Honda does put a new AT out and it's a fat, high displacement pig like the BMW 1200 GS or Yamaha Super Tanker, I wont be buying one .
I don't mind all the huge bloated whale like ADV bikes, I've got one. They can make great long distance touring bikes. But..... I'd sure like to see the other companies step into the 650 twin to 750-800 smaller/lighter ADV class alongside BMW and Triumph. That seems like a huge hole in the market waiting to be filled with awesome offerings many people here appear to want.

I'm still looking for my KLR replacement....... and I don't want it to be a thumper. I keep hoping....
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:32 PM   #39
SpaceManSpiff
Man of Mystery

Oddometer: 1,075
I would really like to see an "true" mid-displacement ADV bike from Honda (perhaps using the NC700X engine). But I bet Yamaha will beat them to it.

(...and I don't want a shaft drive or a hydraulic clutch)
Old 08-14-2013, 07:41 PM   #40
lukasteam
Life is beautiful !!!

Oddometer: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Wind View Post
...cupholders

…and a thick, wide and heated seat with extra low seat height for sure step, in order to encourage even the least experienced two wheeler, who wants to buy in the adventure theme.

…don't forget the (nowadays seemingly obligatory) easy access oil filter right in front of the engine, so the gnarly adventurer won't drink too much of the precious dealer cappuccino, while the bike is in the shop for service.

other than, as predicted before :
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=4296

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Seriously. you forgot the USB and thunder port connectors and the built in 1TB drive with pre-installed image / video processing and effects software. Where the default GoPro in the Headlights?

How you can pretend to have an Adventure Ready product without multimedia storage / processing and cloud services ability is beyond me.
WOW, YOU GUYS HARDCORE !!!
lukasteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:23 AM   #41
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,467
I'm betting there will be a 900 cc Yamaha Super Tenere in the shops before the new AT.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:42 AM   #42
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,083
African Twin

I for one would like to see an inexpensive (I have no money) CBR500 twin version. No, not the CBX, a version with a 270 degree motor, 21/18 spoke wheels and the ability to direct bolt in the suspension from an older CRF450f...

Keeps the MSRP way down, but allows for easy upgrades and modifications. I would also want to be able to directly bolt in wheels from the same CRFf line.
Model the body work after the Dakar 450
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:36 PM   #43
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by byron555 View Post
I for one would like to see an inexpensive (I have no money) CBR500 twin version. No, not the CBX, a version with a 270 degree motor, 21/18 spoke wheels and the ability to direct bolt in the suspension from an older CRF450f...

Keeps the MSRP way down, but allows for easy upgrades and modifications. I would also want to be able to directly bolt in wheels from the same CRFf line.
Model the body work after the Dakar 450

if the weight difference were substantial between a 500 and 750 it would be ok but it wouldnt be much different and end up being slower than the old at. Bike needs a nice modern smooth torquey v twin with a 100 hp and in the lower 400 lbs range with topflight suspension . But this is honda so it will be nothing like that
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:18 PM   #44
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,416
Unless Honda builds some kind of lighter adv bike soon, they will be out of this market segment. I rather buy an XT660z ( if Yamaha bring it here) or a Triumph 800 xc. The TA - AT bikes were the best i terms of reliability. But things are late for Honda...they missed the bus.

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian
locorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:38 AM   #45
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,186
Pressumed name: CRF1000X Africa Twin

From www.VCI-forum.com (picture is included there under 'Honda News')

Quote:
Honda plans to expand its presence allroad segment with a successor to the Africa Twin. More than 25 years after the Honda Africa Twin was introduced (XRV650 in early 1988) Honda would work on a successor to the legendary motor. Honda's current 'allroads' as the NC700X and VFR1200X Cross Tourer are hardly usable for offroad work. Therefore Honda working on a real bigtrailbike with offroad capabilities. It is rumored that the motorcycle would be partly based on the Honda XL1000V Varadero.

The new bike would inherit the powertrain of the XL1000V. But the question is only whether the type name is maintained (NB: the name Africa Twin is indeed already registered for the U.S. market, see postings above). A source close to Honda, has in fact mentioned the name Honda CRF1000X. A designation that straight points to Honda's current offroad/dirtbike models. Since early this year, Honda rejoined the Dakar rally, probably to make the public aware and enthusiast for a Honda allroad with offroad capabilities ...

According to the source, the arrival of the Africa Twin successor is close. "Whenever I mention the designation CRF1000X in the presence of managers and developers from Honda, they start to feel uncomfortably." The introduction of the Honda oriented offroad bike would already planned for this fall (2013) ... "

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote