User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2013, 04:35 PM   #76
archeranger
honest optimist

Oddometer: 46
hint, hint

While I applaud Suzuki's apparent return to the Adventure market with the "new" V-strom slated for 2014, I really wish they would do some market research on threads like this.
Make her 800cc, offer a street bias and a dirt bias version, and make the dirt version gnarly.

If you build them, we will come. We will buy.

If Suzuki doesn't and Honda does, I promise I will. My beloved '07 DL1K has taken me places Suzuki never intended it to. But a replacement is out there somewhere.
archeranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:50 PM   #77
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,121
Ok, well this is what I was thinking...

Apparently Thailand Honda enthusiasts have already done the mods.... this is what I pictured for a new African Twin... Based on the new 500cc mill
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:23 PM   #78
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by byron555 View Post

Apparently Thailand Honda enthusiasts have already done the mods.... this is what I pictured for a new African Twin... Based on the new 500cc mill
That is cool. If Honda can't manage to do that they should be really embarrassed.

Very quick and cheap development.
They could have a 500 AT and a 750 AT and a 1000 AT all using existing motors all very quickly.

They may loose 1 big fan though.

I am sure Honda won't sleep at night while that is the case. < / sarcasm>

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 08-18-2013 at 11:28 PM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:29 PM   #79
WeeBee
Roaming ADV Gnome

Oddometer: 1,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvt1 View Post
The AT and the XTZ750 were ahead of their time. At least as far as what's selling now. Of the 2 companies i can see Yamaha launching a credible successor first.
I pretty much agree with you. Yamaha would fire a three-barreled broadside if they released a modern equivalent of the XTZ750. They are already two-thirds of the way there with their bracketing salvo with the XTZ660 and XTZ1200 bikes.

WeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:01 AM   #80
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,201
Fact is... That a large Honda R&D team has been visiting Honda big trail rally's on the European continent this year, amongst the Varadero International Meeting in Wales.

They have done so in the present, but something was different... This time not only a few staff members of Honda R&D Germany, but a large crowd from Germany, the UK, the Italy plant ánd Japan; take time to chat with the participants and what they think about Honda's current line up.

We all know that there is no proper allroad / bigrail bike any more in the Honda line up... Africa Twin RIP 2003, XL1000V RIP 2011, Transalp RIP 2013...

To quote one of them: "We have been neglecting our customers for too long and are going to catch up with their expectations"

Maybe, there is finally a wind of changes blowing through Nippon...

Rumours of a new Africa Twin successor are popping up every summer and autumn as we get closer to the major International motorcycle exhibitions (INTERMOT in Germany, Paris Motorcycle Exhibition, EICMA in Milano) but I haven't seen them that strong as today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs View Post
To feed the hunger... ;)

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:28 AM   #81
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,493
Oh dear. MCN did predict that the new VFR was a V5..

Expect BNG for 2014.

If Honda manage to sort the XL1000's motor to be Euro 3 / 4 compliant and turn in some decent MPG figures then i'll be having a good look at it.

Hammer like reliability will be a given.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:39 AM   #82
tattewell
Mad Poser

Oddometer: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs View Post
To feed the hunger... ;)

Leading motorcycle magazine Motor Cycle News states that the bike will come, will be revealed at the Milano motorcycle exhibition later this year and that it will be based on the bullet proof XL1000V engine (strongly modified)

Their timeline facts are incorrect :/ Which obviously means its all a farce...
tattewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:44 AM   #83
tokyo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
If Honda sticks with their recent design trend, the new AT will weigh 800 lbs, have 48HP, be covered in acres of anime styled plastic, and be targeted at "New Riders".

Please prove me wrong Honda..

Signed,

An ex-Honda fan hoping for a reason to go into the showroom again after years and years of just driving past..

PS on another note.. sad to read at the bottom right of the article that Husaberg is confirmed to be disapearing.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #84
wingnut11
generally strange

Oddometer: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by byron555 View Post

Something like this would make me a buyer, Currently no factory builds something like that. I keep waiting though. For me that would be close enough to the perfect adventure bike.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #85
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut11 View Post
Something like this would make me a buyer, Currently no factory builds something like that. I keep waiting though. For me that would be close enough to the perfect adventure bike.
I'd be real surprised if a complete after-maket kit does not show up real soon or at least some of the needed parts (triple clamp, spacers etc.) to for one to go out and buys used parts (USD forks, wheels, shock etc.) and bolt it all together.

The aftermarket seems to fill needs that factories will not.

Rally raid and other built a 690 ADV when KTM took so long.
If the engine had been better in the 700x then I'd day that bike would have seen this treatment already, but the high MPG engine left many wanting more.

The 500X engine, on the other hand spins out nice and is that ideal mid-displacement twin holy-grail many have asked for.

The Weber's used a 500 twin (EX500 motor) in their bike
http://www.rallytwin.com/
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:36 PM   #86
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalTA View Post
I pretty much agree with you. Yamaha would fire a three-barreled broadside if they released a modern equivalent of the XTZ750. They are already two-thirds of the way there with their bracketing salvo with the XTZ660 and XTZ1200 bikes.
With Yamaha talking about a possible 850 triple ADV bike and also showing that new twin motor (lighter ADV bike?) they could decimate the rest of Japan Inc. of ever catching up in the segment. The S10 has done well with that to make Honda irrelevant once again.

...but as someone has already said...they (Honda) makes one hell of a scooter & soccer mom car.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:59 PM   #87
wingnut11
generally strange

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
I'd be real surprised if a complete after-maket kit does not show up real soon or at least some of the needed parts (triple clamp, spacers etc.) to for one to go out and buys used parts (USD forks, wheels, shock etc.) and bolt it all together.

The aftermarket seems to fill needs that factories will not.

Rally raid and other built a 690 ADV when KTM took so long.
If the engine had been better in the 700x then I'd day that bike would have seen this treatment already, but the high MPG engine left many wanting more.

The 500X engine, on the other hand spins out nice and is that ideal mid-displacement twin holy-grail many have asked for.

The Weber's used a 500 twin (EX500 motor) in their bike
http://www.rallytwin.com/
If an aftermarket kit becomes available I'll be interested as anyone else. But I haven't seen it yet, and to be honest the less I have to change a bike from the factory the better. I've read about the Weber bike before and we all know the cost is way up there, so that's out of my budget. I know Aprilia had a nice little dirt twin, but just wasn't reliable enough. If Yamaha could add an extra cylinder to the WR250 that would also be just about right. Sadly in the US I'm just not sure the market is here for the kind of bike I want them to make.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:44 PM   #88
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
"MCN has been led to understand the current XL100V Varadero will get a complete COSMETIC makeover in order to create the new Africa Twin"

And there you have it, lipstick on a bloated pig. It will sit unloved in honda showrooms just like the string of winners they came out with in the last decade. They better not have the nerve to question why it won't sell.

NC 700 with the st1300 motor mentioned does sound like a killer bike
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:13 PM   #89
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,121
sub 1200cc and the US market

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut11 View Post
If an aftermarket kit becomes available I'll be interested as anyone else. But I haven't seen it yet, and to be honest the less I have to change a bike from the factory the better. I've read about the Weber bike before and we all know the cost is way up there, so that's out of my budget. I know Aprilia had a nice little dirt twin, but just wasn't reliable enough. If Yamaha could add an extra cylinder to the WR250 that would also be just about right. Sadly in the US I'm just not sure the market is here for the kind of bike I want them to make.
sadly I must agree... Here in the USA, if the bike is not 1200cc or more, it must be a scooter...

It is a type of ignorance that plagued the car market for years and still does to a certain extent. If it ain't a V8 it ain't shit... Screw modern technology and lightwieght, it's gotta be a v8.... Somehow technology is bad and pure nostalgia is good and right. Its the same sentament when it comes to car safety, the old heavy boats are safer than the new cars. It's just not true, the newer cars are safer, the newer cars are faster and get better MPG

Check out the youtube link of a new Malibu vs an Old Bel Air... The new car destroys the old

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joMK1WZjP7g
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:57 PM   #90
wingnut11
generally strange

Not to hijack this and turn it into a car thread, but I have seen this all too often. Especially since many of my formative years around the hot rod muscle car crowd. You should see the cringe on my friends dad face when I tell him the kinds of things I'd do to his 57 t-bird. Things like fuel injection, disc brakes, independent rear suspension, rack and pinion steering, electronic ignition, etc. He keeps saying I'd ruin the car, I keep telling him that he would not only have a car with style but one that actually works well. It makes me wonder if we will ever get past the idea bigger is always better. Even I'm guilty of this from time to time.