Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2013, 12:05 PM   #31
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEffinName View Post
This is *no ones* fault but the riders. Not Harley, the dealers, Honda, BMW or anyone else. Time to take responsibility for our own actions and stop blaming others.

Sheesh...
This is true. However, the dealer "should" have tried to convince the rider to get some training before riding off. For all we know they did and the guy ignored them.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:05 PM   #32
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
An Insurance company might require you to have a license, but I dont see how buying a motorcycle would require you to have one. I can buy a bike and put it in my home for deceration if I want. Ride it on a public road and then I'm required to obey the laws of the state. Buying a bike requires cash not qualifications IMHO.
In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 95k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
EricD10563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:16 PM   #33
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,608
I was talking to a local dealer who sold an Aprilia Scarabeo scooter to a doctor. The fellow had his motorcycle learner's permit, but no seat time or MSF training.

To the dealer's credit, he took the Doc out to the local industrial park, which was empty on the weekend, in an attempt to teach him some basic skills.

The doctor totalled the scooter within a few hours, having never left the industrial park. It seems he couldn't get the idea that you put your feet down when you stop. Luckily, all this happened at low speed, and there were no injuries.

The case the OP mentioned is tragic, but is not relegated to any particular brand. With the soft economy, many dealers want to make a sale, and it's hard to turn down a big old pile of cash. We assume that people know how to do something as simple as buckling a helmet correctly, but it's not always the case.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:23 PM   #34
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricD10563 View Post
An Insurance company might require you to have a license, but I dont see how buying a motorcycle would require you to have one. I can buy a bike and put it in my home for deceration if I want. Ride it on a public road and then I'm required to obey the laws of the state. Buying a bike requires cash not qualifications IMHO.
If he rode it away from the dealership it would have had a license plate. How did he register it? Here, insurance is mandatory for registration. Your application has to be stamped by your insurance agent indicating that you have at least minimum required coverage. And the insurance agent wants your license info so that they can rate your policy. It is possible for a person to be a registered owner with someone else listed as the principal operator but he would have needed that person's license info.

What happened that he got a plate? Is it that different in that state?
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:27 PM   #35
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,608
Here, you have 15 days to get insurance. It is required for inspection, not for registration. Some states don't even require a motorcycle endorsement, so the sale may have been completely legit on the dealer's end.

As I recall, Wyoming licencing requirements are pretty loose, although they do require a written test for a permit. A fellow here drove a Wyoming registered vehicle while attending college because he didn't need an inspection. I'm not sure if he needed insurance.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)

Canuman screwed with this post 07-17-2013 at 12:43 PM
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:34 PM   #36
RoadRdr
Mostly Pavement

Oddometer: 178
Sad to see a story like this where a guy wants to ride a motorcycle for a long time. He finally realizes his dream and it ends tragically.

Most states don't require the dealer to check for the M endorsement. Sometimes the spouse is the titled owner. And that's ok. An endorsement doesn't really mean they know how to ride.

And its not brand specific. I would like to see less "watch for motorcycles" type ads and more "continue to work on your riding skills" and "this is what gear is all about" ads. But then the blame wouldn't be placed on all the BDCs.

Condolences to his family. It sounds like the motorcycling community lost a passionate rider to be.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #37
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,924
Ok

Per the Net:
"Wyoming

Class M licenses are issued for motorcycles. The designation may be added to a license valid for any other class or may be issued as the only class on a license if the applicant is not licensed for any other classification."

I suspect the guy had a license and everything was legit. I also suspect he may have been so overjoyed buy his recent acquisition that he may have had a medical issue (need not be a Heart Attack, could just be getting dizzy...) or maybe he was just dinking with some of the controls?

The picture of him does not make him seem like a thin guy and 59 isn't young (unless you are 70 ;-) ). I am guessing medical issuse.

As for the helmet coming off, dude hit an 18 wheeler, for all we know some of his head could have still been inside it. 18 wheelers don't budge.

I remember a Kawi footpeg on a salesguys desk. It was from a guy that bought a ZX something and pulled right out in front of a truck leaving the bike shop.
SilkMoneyLove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:52 PM   #38
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
If he rode it away from the dealership it would have had a license plate. How did he register it? Here, insurance is mandatory for registration. Your application has to be stamped by your insurance agent indicating that you have at least minimum required coverage. And the insurance agent wants your license info so that they can rate your policy. It is possible for a person to be a registered owner with someone else listed as the principal operator but he would have needed that person's license info.

You think it's the dealers responsibility that he has a plate/insurance on his bike? Of course when we plated a bike the buyer had to provide the necessary paperwok so we could plate/register the bike. Lenders also required that the buyer had insurance and some didn't care if you had a license; that was 30 years ago.

I can buy a bike and put it in a truck or transport it anyway I want (it's my property), not sure what a dealer is supposed to do if I decide not to transport it in a legal way and just get on the bike (seen it done before, no plates nothing). What powers whould the dealer invoke to stop the buyer, guess you can call the Police who then could enforce the laws of the state.
In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 95k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
EricD10563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:00 PM   #39
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,720
For all we know, he may have taken the MSF course and had a valid license.
He may have bummed rides on friends bikes.

We only know that this was the first bike he owned. However, unless he had a reasonable amount of experience, the bike he bought was not a suitable first bike.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:03 PM   #40
Red9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by henshao View Post
How sad. In a way, the fact that Harley Davidson doesn't make fast bikes probably has a lot to do with why this happens. "It's a Harley, what could go wrong?" I guess we should see a lot of squids jump on R1's as their first bike with unfortunately consequences, too, but I personally rarely hear about them. At least, not the first 3 miles.
You're an idiot.

Red9 screwed with this post 07-17-2013 at 01:08 PM
Red9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:11 PM   #41
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,099
One of my friend (a girl) bought a brand new Ninja 300 few weeks ago.

She took her riding course last summer and got her "final" license 2 weeks before

Long process here in Quebec:

Quote:
1. First of all, a prospective operator must pass a knowledge test in order to get a class 6R learner's licence, which is valid only for the purposes of a driving course and for the SAAQ (our DMV) closed track road test;

2. After holding a class 6R licence for at least one month (the course takes place into this time frame), learners must successfully complete a driving course on operating a motorcycle, which includes a theoretical and two practical components and pass the closed-track test. Only then are prospective motorcycle operators issued a class 6A learner's licence, which must be held for at least eleven months, allowing them to practise with an accompanying rider on another motorcycle;

3. The last step is a road test, at least 11 months later, which prospective operators must pass in order to obtain a regular licence to operate a motorcycle

4. A regular licence must be held for at least 2 years by a motorcycle operator to be an accompanying rider .
So my friend...even if she bought a true "learner" bike, an underpowered (but still fun) bike, forgiving bike, low bike, light bike and so on...Even if she had her full licence and enough experience (in theory) to ride this bike, she still asked me to ride it home because she bought it at a dealer 1h30 far from where she lives and wanted to start easy, at her own pace, into her neighborhood.

How many fresh riders think the same?!

SgtDuster screwed with this post 07-17-2013 at 01:43 PM
SgtDuster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:32 PM   #42
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
Probably because he didn't really want to do it for 38 years either and used his wife as a convenient scapegoat.
my guess is that his wife cared about him for exactly 38 years, knowing intimately what an idiot he was. finally, she said "fuck it, gimme some of that life insurance money!"

seriously, he was obsessed with bikes for 40 years, and at NO TIME did he talk to his wife about how safety classes and good gear would mitigate some of her concerns? did he not talk to her about bikes, and at least LIE to her convincingly about how "safe" harleys are, what with their low centers of gravity and loud pipes? he had 38 years to research compromises! (i was able to convince my extremely dubious wife within a couple days, and i'm hardly possessed of anything resembling common sense!) based entirely on the reporting, i'm going with "shitwit, grade a" and his wife is probably quietly relieved that he went out with a smile on his face instead of with her on the pillion.

quasigentrified screwed with this post 07-17-2013 at 01:49 PM
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #43
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post

here in wa, you get a temp plate, and insurance is not required. you can walk into any wa dealership and ride out. bad idea, but as a dude who is big on personal responsibility, i'm okay with this despite the social ramifications it presents.

besides, any idiot can do a craigs list deal and get a bike with an unprocessed title/reg transfer and start riding. i think that's true of anywhere in the us?
Old 07-17-2013, 01:46 PM   #44
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRdr View Post
Condolences to his family. It sounds like the motorcycling community lost a passionate rider to be.
i think it lost a passionate poser. as someone else pointed out, riding means respecting the bike, and respect means making sure you are ready to ride because it's gonna be a life investment. alternatively, if "riding" is merely an image thing, you'll treat the safety and training considerations as trivial, since you aren't about doing it right, just about looking right.

admittedly, i'm reading a TON into a very short article authored for maximum ironic effect, and he could very well have taken an msf course and been atgatt -- in which case this is tear-jerking tragic. but until new information comes to light, man, i'm going with the cynical interpretation.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:49 PM   #45
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,132
What a sad story, poor guy, hanging around the dealer all those years and ending up under the trailer on his first ride
Someone mentioned a possible heart attack or a stroke, maybe the excitement of the first ride got the better of him. Still, there is something strange about this, I mean 38 years visiting the shop weekly, surely the guys working there knew if he could ride or not. The make of the bike makes no difference, could have been a Honda 90, although lusting after a scooter all those years is unlikely. I think people over estimate their skills when it comes to riding a motorcycle, I mean, its only a large bicycle with a motor, how hard can it be? We know how hard.
R.I.P
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote