Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2013, 01:50 PM   #46
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domiken View Post

Ill never forget the first time I rode a real motorcycle, I was maybe 17 and one of my best friends let me take his brand new Honda 954RR out for a spin (great friend, stupid me), I had never ridden a 2 wheeled machine in my life other than minibikes, etc... I went around our 1 mile private development (no traffic, cars, etc..) and I came back and gave him the keys and quickly realized "this isn't for me".

Funny how things changed a few years later...
I have the same story about a CBR954RR. Except I had probably about 20K miles of riding by that point. Already owned 2 or maybe 3 bikes by then. I got it out onto open highway, gave it a little bit of throttle. Nowhere near full because i was terriffied the thing would loop out on me. I wondered why in the hell someone had a car parked in the middle of a state highway. They weren't parked, I was just closing in at about a 100 mph speed differential. That bike at 154 mph, felt like my CB650 nighthawk doing 80. I had no idea i was going that fast till i looked down.

Turned it around, rode it back never leaving 2nd gear and told him i'm never riding that fucking thing again. He was having me ride it to see if anything was wrong since he had just failed his permit test that day.

It was his first bike, against all of his riding friends advice. Endoed it into the back of a car waiting to turn left 2 weeks later. New forks and fairings. Crashed it two more times after that before he bailed on riding after a summer.
Mgbgt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:52 PM   #47
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 690
i rode my first bike, a little cr80, straight into the side of a chicken coop. thankfully, i could get up, bandage up the skin shredded by wires, and start again.

haha, i still remember my old man: "how the F*CK did you run straight into that coop? you can actually turn the bike, you know!"

me (age 13): "i was trying to remember how to shift!"

dad: "you were going maybe 15 mph! you had at least a MINUTE to start turning!"

quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:41 PM   #48
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasigentrified View Post
besides, any idiot can do a craigs list deal and get a bike with an unprocessed title/reg transfer and start riding. i think that's true of anywhere in the us?
Buying a bike from Craigslist still doesn't get you a plate to ride home with unless it's a bogus deal where the Seller has a stolen or expired plate that he lets you have. (You could also bring a stolen or expired plate or the plate from another bike to a dealer and "affix" it.) A legitimate Seller in my state will want to keep his plate because he needs the surrender receipt from the Motor Vehicle office (here it's the Registry rather than the Department so it's the "RMV") in order to cancel his insurance early. Otherwise they won't cancel it and refund the remaining term.

Even if the registration already expired, the Seller would normally want the surrender receipt as proof that the bike is no longer being operated on his plate. Otherwise the authorities would come after him if that plate number was reported in any accident or incident. I am not claiming that nobody can get hold of a bogus plate to stick on a bike to ride it home, but that's not something that was mentioned in the original article.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:45 PM   #49
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
...as a dude who is big on personal responsibility, i'm okay with this
So you are okay with taking the personal responsibility for your damages and injuries if an uninsured vehicle hits you?
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:47 PM   #50
*Gmoney*
don't look here

Oddometer: 910
Sad
*Gmoney* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:17 PM   #51
phunmusicphan
Dude

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
i rode my first bike, a little cr80, straight into the side of a chicken coop. thankfully, i could get up, bandage up the skin shredded by wires, and start again.

haha, i still remember my old man: "how the F*CK did you run straight into that coop? you can actually turn the bike, you know!"

This made me laugh so hard.
On the dead rider. I hope it was a fun 3 miles. I know for me it was a good couple hundred befor I could truly and honesty relax and enjoy. And I had been riding 50 and 80cc Hondas on dirt as a kid and then a few years on the old bike befor the wee.
When ever I see someone riding doing something neebieish like almost falling over at a stop. (I have seen this a bunch) I can't help but think about Darwin and hope I'm not around when it happens.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Old 07-17-2013, 07:01 PM   #52
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,608
Proves a point. Everyone's first bike or bike after a long time away should be a light and nimble one, and they should avoid going mano a mano with tractor trailers and the like for a bit. My first bike after a long hiatus from two wheels was a 175 cc scooter with 16" wheels. Low workload, and took me plenty of places. I did 400 mile days on that rig, sipping fuel and camping out. It was a blast. I looked like a trained bear on a tricycle, but I rode the piss out of that rig, and had some splendid times.

It handled very well, by the way. On the kind of crappy roads we have here, you could keep up with most riders not on a suicide mission.

I did my license test on it. It was a breeze. Many of the riders past the excess of testosterone stage I know are looking for the lightest thing they can find, as we ride much dual-sport and trails. A well set-up 250 has plenty of power these days. I had an electrical problem on the KLR650, and had to push it up a hill in the heat. It was near all I could do. I was playing around with the light bikes today, and they seemed a feather in comparison.

If I ride until I'm 90, it's going to be on a small bike.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)

Canuman screwed with this post 07-17-2013 at 07:27 PM
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:25 PM   #53
advmgm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 900
Sad story and RIP to the new and fallen rider.

Unfortunately, people like him in the 45-60 age bracket are now having the most accidents. Either they are getting into riding for the first time or returning after many years.

Motorcycle riding is serious business with potentially serious or fatal consequences.

FJR Pilot, CBR 954RR Boy Racer, WR250R Adventurer
Old 07-17-2013, 07:44 PM   #54
Veteran Noob
Unremarkable

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
"the cruel irony of the situation,"
I see no irony here.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #55
pinocono
Husky Dü

Oddometer: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
Buying a bike from Craigslist still doesn't get you a plate to ride home with unless it's a bogus deal where the Seller has a stolen or expired plate that he lets you have. (You could also bring a stolen or expired plate or the plate from another bike to a dealer and "affix" it.) A legitimate Seller in my state will want to keep his plate because he needs the surrender receipt from the Motor Vehicle office (here it's the Registry rather than the Department so it's the "RMV") in order to cancel his insurance early. Otherwise they won't cancel it and refund the remaining term.

Even if the registration already expired, the Seller would normally want the surrender receipt as proof that the bike is no longer being operated on his plate. Otherwise the authorities would come after him if that plate number was reported in any accident or incident. I am not claiming that nobody can get hold of a bogus plate to stick on a bike to ride it home, but that's not something that was mentioned in the original article.
In many states, California included, the plate stays with the vehicle, sometimes forever. So you can ride off on a bike with a legal plate, but no insurance or MC endorsement.

A couple bikes ago, I bought a new Wide Glide at the dealer. I had to contact my insurance agent to confirm that I would be covered to be allowed to take the bike off the lot. This was a requirement of Harley's financing company. The dealer didn't ask to see my MC endorsement, probably assumed since I had insurance, I had an endorsement.

About the same time, I cosigned a loan for a used Vulcan 800 for my son. The dealership used HSBC to finance the bike. Neither the dealer nor the finance company gave a rat's ass about insurance or a MC endorsement.
pinocono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:05 PM   #56
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Quote:
So you are okay with taking the personal responsibility for your damages and injuries if an uninsured vehicle hits you?
i'm not so much "okay" with it as i accept it as a risk, and that there is a tension between fairness and liberty that sometimes requires that risk. at the end of the day, i lean more towards letting the individual accept risk and the consequences, even if this belief may one day up and bite me in the ass.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:19 PM   #57
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,350
Read the link but didn't see it mentioned. Sounds like we're all assuming this was his first rodeo but all I can tell is he waited 38 years to buy a Harley.

Any facts to bolster the opinions here that this was his first motorcycle or that he had never ridden prior to buying the new HD. Seems the odds are a guy growing up in WY would have some experience on at least a dirt bike.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:33 PM   #58
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,688
Quote:

Even if the registration already expired, the Seller would normally want the surrender receipt as proof that the bike is no longer being operated on his plate.
Not the same everywhere. The plate stays with the vehicle here in Oregon.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:58 PM   #59
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Not the same everywhere. The plate stays with the vehicle here in Oregon.
same in wa.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:50 PM   #60
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,095
Quote:

Sorry but this paints a really funny picture in my head. You crash into the coop and your old man is asking you HTF you managed to do that instead of seeing if you are OK. Classic.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote