Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2013, 12:19 PM   #61
DR Donk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
Read the link but didn't see it mentioned. Sounds like we're all assuming this was his first rodeo but all I can tell is he waited 38 years to buy a Harley.

Any facts to bolster the opinions here that this was his first motorcycle or that he had never ridden prior to buying the new HD. Seems the odds are a guy growing up in WY would have some experience on at least a dirt bike.

What is wrong with buying something smaller to learn on? There is too much concern with "image" in this country. "Why, I can't be seen on a girls bike" or some other nonsense! And it's not just Harley's, I have seen guys on big sport bikes that really could have used some training wheels as they wobbled down the road.

Okay, rant over

DR Donk screwed with this post 07-18-2013 at 12:33 PM
DR Donk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:32 PM   #62
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Donk View Post
"Why, I can't be seen on a girls bike" or some other nonsense!
Some say a Sportster IS a girl's bike.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:54 PM   #63
Bob59601
Bob59601

Oddometer: 61
In MT I was able to finance (Kawasaki credit) and license a motorcycle (KLR) without insurance or an MC endorsement. Rode that way for 5 years. Maybe not the smartest thing to do, but it was simple to do here.

"When riding my old Harley a ninety per at midnight down the Via Roma in Naples, I kept one consolation firmly in mind: If anything goes wrong, I'll never have time to regret it." -Edward Abbey
Bob59601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:42 PM   #64
Shake_N_Bake
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_sandman_454 View Post
That whole 'training' thing is overrated. I mean why would anybody ever want to have a clue what he or she is doing before jumping in with both feet?

You'd think in 38 years the guy would've thought to take a safety course at some point. If he did and still wrecked within 3 miles, they should give his money for the course back.
In WY the course only costs $25. But I get your point.

10 Days around Wyoming or .....
Shake_N_Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:54 PM   #65
theshnizzle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 847
This same scenario happened a few years ago locally to me. Two brothers go to stealer ship so bro one can buy Harley,and they will ride home together. On maiden ride home new rider crashes and dies.

Now,where he perished is a stretch of road that has a wee curve NOT CORNER, ok? Curve,slight bend if you will, BUT.....on that slight curve is a very visually distracting guardrail, if that makes sense.....very very easy for new rider to get target fixation and ride straight into it,which is exactley what he did.

It's sad and tragic,for that rider and the latest victim,both older gents buying new bikes, could be so avoidable.....RIP
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:15 PM   #66
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Donk View Post
What is wrong with buying something smaller to learn on? There is too much concern with "image" in this country. "Why, I can't be seen on a girls bike" or some other nonsense! And it's not just Harley's, I have seen guys on big sport bikes that really could have used some training wheels as they wobbled down the road.

Okay, rant over
I get your point but do we know that this guy was "learning" on the Harley he bought?

All we know from the article is he wanted a "hog" for 38 years and died the day he finally bought one.

No where does it say he was new rider, or had little experience., of course it doesn't say had previous bikes either or riding experience so we don't really know.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:04 PM   #67
RedShark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,311
I've said it before when people ask why the US doesn't have any tiered-licensing program to step people up to Big Bikes - The Motor Company ( H-D ) will NEVER permit ANY limitation on an adult American buying the biggest bling-glide they make, regardless of any capacity of operation.

Guys that wouldn't buy a new golf club without reading 3 reviews or even consider a first tennis racket or musical instrument without SOME instruction just naturally feel that if it has an ignition key and uses gasoline that they inherently have the skill to operate it.

"I had lots of bikes when I was a kid and I can drive - I got this." - is really how a large portion of the road-using public see motorcycles.

Complex motor skills ? Differential braking ? Hell with that, boy - I'm gettin' me a Hawg...

If it weren't so very common it'd be a little funny.

I had a housemate, years ago - he saw my K75s and decided HE was going to 'get back into riding' and went out and bought a nice Heritage Special - "Say, that is a lot of motorcycle for a guy that hasn't ridden in....how long did you say again ?"

Yep, he was in 2 wrecks (that we knew about) in the first few months - riding with a HOG chapter until they booted him for being such a menace.

Whatever. I know the attitude isn't exclusive to The Brand, but it sure is a common one - I know guys that consider themselves 'old hands' at the riding scene that STILL can't turn around on a full-width street without duck-walking... and that's just sad.
RedShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:14 PM   #68
*Gmoney*
don't look here

Oddometer: 910
I hope the wife/widow/children never find this thread.
Its discussions like this,
that give motorcycle riders a bad name.
*Gmoney* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:38 PM   #69
*Gmoney*
don't look here

I have never judged my friends like this thread,
Friend died on interstate after tailpipe fell off car
flipped 12 times, closed casket.
Friend wants to ride my bike around block,
left turn impact, rips his nut sack off.
The way this thread goes they should have goggled how to avoid tail pipe failure, proper protction to save nut sack on impact?
WTF we act like none of us had a dream and we are somehow safer with research.

Any response to what I posted needs to point out,
proper testicle protection, and show us yours.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:39 PM   #70
RedShark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,311
You seem rather focused on the meth...

Would a year's safe operation of a sub-50hp bike be too onerous ?

It certainly would never pass any legislature that doesn't require a simple helmet to be worn, so don't lose any sleep over it - not that you need much with all that crank you've got.
RedShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:49 PM   #71
*Gmoney*
don't look here

Its threads like this that will outlaw motorcycles,
created un-necessary protections/regulations.
Want a bicycle, show us your skate board experience,
want a motorcycle, show us your bicycle experience.
I hope you guys don't screw it up for everyone.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:55 PM   #72
*Gmoney*
don't look here

I never would believe,
that I could turn on the tv
and watch shows called I see dead people,
and turn that off, get on the internet,
and read as people make fun of dead people.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:58 PM   #73
viverrid
not dead yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Gmoney* View Post
I hope you guys don't screw it up for everyone.
The guys who will screw it up for everyone are the ones who get themselves killed by what was really their own lack of skill but will instead be perceived by the public as examples that motorcycles are dangerous so should therefore be outlawed.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:01 PM   #74
viverrid
not dead yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShark View Post
.... - riding with a HOG chapter until they booted him for being such a menace.
That has got to take some doing.

There are indeed some riders who can ride the hell out of their Harleys. But may who can't ride worth a crap.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:02 PM   #75
*Gmoney*
don't look here

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
The guys who will screw it up for everyone are the ones who get themselves killed by what was really their own lack of skill but will instead be perceived by the public as examples that motorcycles are dangerous so should therefore be outlawed.
Like the ones that join the military.
And die,
they never screwed it up for anyone that wanted a military job?
Its not that simple, and we show respect no matter what we think.