Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2013, 04:35 PM   #16
cleatusj
Dirt floor engineer

Oddometer: 910
Claude, I've see the rig that you built that Lee just bought and the chair that Keith has on his VTX 1800 and would love to have the money to have one, but I enjoy building and am too cheep to let the money go if I had it. I like what I have and took the time to make sure it handles great for a dual track vehicle.

I thank you and DR for all ya'll do to help others on here and other places to understand these rigs can be fun and safe regardless the amount of money invested.

Hack build: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...rt+floor+build
cleatusj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:42 PM   #17
DirtyDR
Dana

Oddometer: 2,196
Claude, I did not mean to imply that you would push things just to increase the bottom line. I just think that we get carried away sometimes with pushing the envelope and we can scare away the lurkers who get the impression that they need this stuff to get a sidecar rig together when they really do not. Safety should always be the first issue though and a lot of that can and should be training.
99 Rokon Ranger
71 Rokon RT140

Hack'n the TLH
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592860

http://dirtydr.smugmug.com/

Proud Member of the Patrol Patrol
DirtyDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:39 PM   #18
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDR View Post
Claude, I did not mean to imply that you would push things just to increase the bottom line. I just think that we get carried away sometimes with pushing the envelope and we can scare away the lurkers who get the impression that they need this stuff to get a sidecar rig together when they really do not. Safety should always be the first issue though and a lot of that can and should be training.
No it's my fault Dana, I started the thread because I was exasperated with a fellow inmate and his lack of mechanical aptitude.I'm a compulsive tweaker and I can't stop till I have pretty good handle on what I think I need to know about stuff.
Since I'm sure your not a character I'm relieved otherwise I'd think you might be like another buddy of mine who rides a Helix Scooter to BMW rallies or a Yamaha TW200 on dual sport rides just to tweak other folks noses a bit , take a Helix to a track day sometime nobody wants to get passed by a scooter.lol
I have learned one cannot have his cake and eat all of it too. These damn things are way to compromised and thanks to you and Claude I've figured out riding them has allot more to do with finese than raw courage, the more I learn to be smooth and pay attention the quicker I get even the woman friend pointed out to me we're going better and not working so hard.DB
It was either a nice sidecar and I had an extra motorcycle or a Mini Cooper and auto X being a lifelong bachelor it's always about ME LOL.

davebig screwed with this post 07-21-2013 at 06:46 PM
davebig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:15 AM   #19
DirtyDR
Dana

It's all good.
99 Rokon Ranger
71 Rokon RT140

Hack'n the TLH

Old 07-22-2013, 07:34 AM   #20
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Quote:
It's all good.
Jerry your my hero !!!!!!
Old 07-22-2013, 10:55 AM   #21
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,667
Good thread guys, the more I listen the more I learn.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:11 PM   #22
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Compromise compromise compromise !!!!!

It never really ends today a large 220 pound buddy and I went off roading on some motorcycle atv trails they had some huge mud holes (we turned around), ruts we stradled and got along better than I thought we would.
Gearing 33/11 Final Drive with 175/65/15 24" rear tire was great in low gear today but could have been lower yet for creeping around and over things, I threw in the towel on my overdrive GSA transmission (Gsa 1-5th gs OD 6th) as I'd be getting too much money in it.
I am going back to a 165/80/15 rear and chair tire as my Blizzak with only a couple thouand miles that really works well in the dirt is starting to wear rapidly.There's no rest for the wicked or those foolish enough or willing to experiment,Onward.DB
Old 07-23-2013, 08:42 PM   #23
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 5,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebig View Post
I am going back to a 165/80/15 rear and chair tire as my Blizzak with only a couple thouand miles that really works well in the dirt is starting to wear rapidly.There's no rest for the wicked or those foolish enough or willing to experiment,Onward.DB

Like most of us that went to car tires/tyres we did so to get a longer service life . The load index for the particular tire you want should be in the ' 90 + ' range ( light truck tires are in this range ). All things being equal the higher load range will run cooler giving a longer life due to the sidewall not flexing as much and generating heat .

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=35

I can find more winter tread and mud tires in a 14 inch ( 165/80/14 - 185/70/14 ) than a 15 . I've already done the preliminary work to a spare caliper . Just need to make a new adapter that'll be 5 on 4.75 and run off the shelf 14 x 5 rims with the adapter made to suit the factory backspacing for clearance . I'll lose a 1/2 inch axle clearance depending on the brand of tire .

This'll be on a bm'.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:36 AM   #24
Melrone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 842
Dave: I do have to agree with you.I've owned 3 different rigs.2 Airheads, and my 03 GSA/Ural.They are always in need of something..I bought my GSA/Ural in 09 had problems with trying to get to Johnson City din't make it..So far I,ve done alot to it to make it work right.The guy I bought it from had it built left it like it was never touched it.The rig now works well,but I'm not done yet..We are rebuilding the seat now so my wife can ride in the tub for more than a 100 miles with out her back hurting..Icould put a huge list of allthe stuff I've done and tke things I still want to do..I,m what people call a gear head ex Army mechanic of costruction equipment. Iwas with 249th Eng station in Germany. But what is said here is true YOU ARE NEVER DONE..
Melrone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:18 PM   #25
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR700 View Post
Like most of us that went to car tires/tyres we did so to get a longer service life . The load index for the particular tire you want should be in the ' 90 + ' range ( light truck tires are in this range ). All things being equal the higher load range will run cooler giving a longer life due to the sidewall not flexing as much and generating heat .

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=35

I can find more winter tread and mud tires in a 14 inch ( 165/80/14 - 185/70/14 ) than a 15 . I've already done the preliminary work to a spare caliper . Just need to make a new adapter that'll be 5 on 4.75 and run off the shelf 14 x 5 rims with the adapter made to suit the factory backspacing for clearance . I'll lose a 1/2 inch axle clearance depending on the brand of tire .

This'll be on a bm'.

That is good information Heckler but I'm afraid it would be a huge rework to go to 14" rims here on the oil heads we's have to come up with smaller disks and different caliper mounts.One has to remove disk to mount caliper.
Stroker built his wheels to deal with all the shortcomings of fitting on pretty much stock rigs a 175/65/15 is about as large as one dares install, VW size stuff 135,145,155,165/80s are getting easy to find, and on one drip down a greasy road the Nankang 668 all season seemed to do pretty well.The Blizzaks hold on like grim death but are probably too soft for summertime ripping and tearing.DB
Old 07-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #26
DirtyDR
Dana

DB,
I am answering your mileage question over here to keep from cluttering up the Craigslist, For Sale thread.

When I first set up the GS I averaged 38 on the 5,000 mile trip to the national it Tahoe. This was with the Wunderlich fairing that pretty much matches the stock GS fairing.

Since I put the Aeroflow fairing/windshield on it has dropped down to around 32 to 34 average. With a strong head or cross wind on I70 in Eastern Colorado and Kansas it will drop down to 25.
99 Rokon Ranger
71 Rokon RT140

Hack'n the TLH

Old 07-25-2013, 12:19 PM   #27
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Quote:
DB,
I am answering your mileage question over here to keep from cluttering up the Craigslist, For Sale thread.

When I first set up the GS I averaged 38 on the 5,000 mile trip to the national it Tahoe. This was with the Wunderlich fairing that pretty much matches the stock GS fairing.

Since I put the Aeroflow fairing/windshield on it has dropped down to around 32 to 34 average. With a strong head or cross wind on I70 in Eastern Colorado and Kansas it will drop down to 25.
Thanks Dana apparently I don't have allot to whine about I'm geared lower and averaging 30-32 if I'm careful I can sneak out 33-34 but I find my skills improving I'm going faster.DB
Old 07-25-2013, 12:35 PM   #28
DirtyDR
Dana

I was getting over 40 on the run up the Natchez trace on my way to Arkansas last month. Of course that is 440 miles of 50 mph 2 lane.
99 Rokon Ranger
71 Rokon RT140

Hack'n the TLH

Old 07-25-2013, 12:48 PM   #29
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Quote:
I was getting over 40 on the run up the Natchez trace on my way to Arkansas last month. Of course that is 440 miles of 50 mph 2 lane.
50mph hmmm I suppose that would be possible with drugs or allot of traffic, actually over in the coulees in WI I do pretty well its up,down and around 3-4-5 gear but then we go up to the great plains and the wind comes down from Alberta and everything goes to hell, half the time I get 36 on half the ride and 27 on the second half.DB
Old 07-25-2013, 12:52 PM   #30
DirtyDR
Dana

Riding up the Trace I would go 30 minutes or more and not see another vehicle. I guess that is what happens when you ride on a Monday morning when everyone else has to work.
99 Rokon Ranger
71 Rokon RT140

Hack'n the TLH