Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2013, 02:51 PM   #31
airspro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Yep , now I am pretty new but I found after buying and driving this rig that a small windscreen for my wife and a WAY better SEAT is all that was really needed :)

I ain't no speed demon so am pretty happy with a happy ass and a wife that don't have to hold her face shield down with her hand :P hehe .

best
spro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDR View Post
DB, Claude, my point is that you do not need all of that extra stuff to make a fun and safe sidecar rig. Everybody always says "you can start easy and add as you go" but you do not need to add if you do not want to. I can afford to put any kind of front suspension, or rear for that matter, that I want but I do not feel that it is neccessary to do so. Nor do I feel the need for sidecar brakes or automatic lean angle thingies, I like my rig the way it is and do not see any reason to change it. If I was building a HP rig I would definately have center hub steering with killer brakes all the way round and car tires and all the rest of that because that is the nature of a HP rig. I just hate to see people shy away from the joy of sidecar wrangling because they feel that it will be too much of a financial drain and that there is always something that needs upgraded and they are never finished.

Build it and ride it because if you are looking for the perfect wave it isn't there and you will drive yourself crazy trying to perfect it because by the nature of the beast it will never be perfect.
airspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:06 AM   #32
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by airspro View Post
Yep , now I am pretty new but I found after buying and driving this rig that a small windscreen for my wife and a WAY better SEAT is all that was really needed :)

I ain't no speed demon so am pretty happy with a happy ass and a wife that don't have to hold her face shield down with her hand :P hehe .

best
spro
It's good to keep expectations reasonable ! Db
Old 07-31-2013, 09:15 PM   #33
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Finished hell it's always a work in progress !

Getting close to being done MAYBE ! Anything to add a little mileage, minimalized chair shield with new shorter windscreen, went back to standard GS shield, more wind on driver will slow pace the SOB should be allowed only minimal comfort, the grumpy German.

Getting ready fior the weekend trip to WI Moto Guzzi rally. The Guzzi folks seem to take themselves allot less serious, they don't worry allot about water boxers ,DB
Though I may need a Touratech 41 liter tank with that additional mass in the center of the bike, it's gotta be a handling option
Old 08-01-2013, 01:47 AM   #34
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 6,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebig View Post
That is good information Heckler but I'm afraid it would be a huge rework to go to 14" rims here on the oil heads we's have to come up with smaller disks and different caliper mounts.One has to remove disk to mount caliper.
Stroker built his wheels to deal with all the shortcomings of fitting on pretty much stock rigs a 175/65/15 is about as large as one dares install, VW size stuff 135,145,155,165/80s are getting easy to find, and on one drip down a greasy road the Nankang 668 all season seemed to do pretty well.The Blizzaks hold on like grim death but are probably too soft for summertime ripping and tearing.DB

Still had to rework the caliper to get them to fit on the rear of the K .

15's in a 165 aren't that common over here once outside a major center let alone a 145 .

165 x 14 's are like fleas on a dog here with the plus of getting them in a 108 load index ( 2205 lb's ) as apposed to the 77 ( 908 lb's ) on the 145 x 15 nankang or the 87 ( 1201 lb's ) on a 165 x 15 kuhmo .

Old 08-01-2013, 08:51 AM   #35
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR700 View Post
Still had to rework the caliper to get them to fit on the rear of the K .

15's in a 165 aren't that common over here once outside a major center let alone a 145 .

165 x 14 's are like fleas on a dog here with the plus of getting them in a 108 load index ( 2205 lb's ) as apposed to the 77 ( 908 lb's ) on the 145 x 15 nankang or the 87 ( 1201 lb's ) on a 165 x 15 kuhmo .

They aren't everywhere here either but we are all convinced we need more hieght so we do the VW sizes 165,155,145/80.The little 65 series tires provide snappy handling but rougher ride and of course they lower the gears and I can't get anyone but me to fool with them, if I can get a leading link over the winter I'd probably gear taller and run 3 175/65/15s but they do all have load ratings in the 80's.DB
Old 08-02-2013, 06:06 AM   #36
hahnda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Quote:

Getting ready fior the weekend trip to WI Moto Guzzi rally. The Guzzi folks seem to take themselves allot less serious, they don't worry allot about water boxers ,DB
See you there! I'll be on the Quota with Ural sidecar.

The great thing about sidecars is that its always easy to identify someone!
Heidenau Tires
hahnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:37 AM   #37
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,558
Quote:
They aren't everywhere here either but we are all convinced we need more hieght so we do the VW sizes 165,155,145/80.The little 65 series tires provide snappy handling but rougher ride and of course they lower the gears and I can't get anyone but me to fool with them, if I can get a leading link over the winter I'd probably gear taller and run 3 175/65/15s but they do all have load ratings in the 80's.DB
Some good things about a leading link is that any trail can built into it with any ground clearance desired. They are also much more basic and straight forward in design than a conventional tele fork front end (*basically which is two shocks with a wheel stuck on the end of them) or even a tele leve when ya think about it. Center hub may take this to yet another level due to the ability of them to more isolate steering from suspension from braking functions and provide a basically infinite adjustment of trail (caster) for various conditions. True center hub kicks this up yet another notch.

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:35 PM   #38
dholaday
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Claude:
Have you seen the "new" LL EZS used on their K1600GTL build? It retains the stock shock setup and and it looks like it keeps the telelever too.

http://www.ezs-sidecar.com/en/news-d...erste-k1600gtl

Bob Henig [Bobsbmw] is building a K1600GTL + EZS for one of their customers. I'm very interested in seeing pictures and getting Bob's ride impressions.

I've had a couple of email exchanges with Hannigan about a K16GT setup but they seem to not have any interest in doing a LL or center-hub.

Duncan
Old 08-25-2013, 07:07 PM   #39
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Ranting !

Well fellow inmates now that Drone has come clean and will probably mend. It's time for some Rhetrocal questions ? Has anyone seen a off road racing sidecar without a LL or centerhub steering setup ? So why would be buy those lower triple clamp trail reducers and pound down ugly roads and trail ? Oops I forgot we're fiscal conservatives.If your worried your bike will break finish it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just came back from Aerostich's VBR3 get togther in Duluth, where another sidecarist from WI was bemoaning the fact his camber adjuster had broken off his frame from a PNW sidecar shop.How do they keep selling folks stuff without fixing it ? Maybe you guys should complain or shop elsewhere.
Talked to a guy with a huge Hannigan on the big Kawasaki Concours, swaybar and centerhub steering.
He told me the reason Hannigan doesn't want to discuss centerhub setups is that Bill Ballou has retired and isn't interested in doing allot of them for anyone, he said that he had one after courting Mr Ballou and promising patience.DB
Old 08-26-2013, 08:32 AM   #40
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Fear and Loathing in PNW and Everywhere !

At this point no one wants to have Drone's crash experience, there are lots and lots of lower triple clamp trail reducers in service everywhere.
I still loathe them don't change your fork angle it's a bad idea or as they say at certain self help groups "half measures availed us nothing " it's only an affordable trail reduction.
The bushes bearings or locators whatever you want to call them in the top triple clamp on BMW's are 108$ each probably more than just another rubber bushing.
My summation of the failure's easy, Drone complained of a vibration sometime ago, his mechanic was unable to find it, once the ball joint got started moving it eventually tore all the threads loose and pulled out of the trail reducer huge front spring helped pound threads out.
Drone's not communicating with me, he seems to see me as the unwashed masses referred to me as a bullshit artist,I resent that.
The whole point is if you think somethings wrong there is,there's no evil spirits but there is bad karma we can't get away loading or bikes with 150% of mass etc and not ave issues, do your maintenance.DB

davebig screwed with this post 08-26-2013 at 08:44 AM
davebig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:57 AM   #41
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 7,012
Forgive my Noobness Dave but what you're saying is it's better to shorten the A arm than it is to relocate the ball joint backwards as relocating the ball doesn't change the fork angle?

Edit ... it actually makes it worse I think as the fork would stick out further and lower the bike's front end?

Have I got any of this??
Old 08-26-2013, 11:30 AM   #42
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander View Post
Forgive my Noobness Dave but what you're saying is it's better to shorten the A arm than it is to relocate the ball joint backwards as relocating the ball doesn't change the fork angle?

Edit ... it actually makes it worse I think as the fork would stick out further and lower the bike's front end?

Have I got any of this??
Dan
I think and maintain one has to do both if you just change the lower triple clamp ball joint mount, you have pushed the front wheel forward lengthened the wheelbase and changed the lever angle the fork works at.https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-H...0/IMG_0457.JPG
Check my thread http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=826829 post # 6 for a diagram.DB
Old 08-26-2013, 01:08 PM   #43
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Got it!
Old 08-27-2013, 08:11 AM   #44
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Dave, how about that thing (don't know what you call it) that installs on the bottom of the fork legs and moves the front axle forwards a few inches, like a poor man's leading link?
Old 08-27-2013, 05:09 PM   #45
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander View Post
Dave, how about that thing (don't know what you call it) that installs on the bottom of the fork legs and moves the front axle forwards a few inches, like a poor man's leading link?
I think your refering to a mod that DMC does to some rigs V-Stroms to relocate axle for less trail. Have not seen one on an oilhead BMW.DB