ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Which Trail Tech would you install on your Thumper for around town use?
Trail Tech Vapor; it has speedometer and a tachometer (Does the tach work?) 21 80.77%
Trail Tech Striker; it has a speedometer and a voltmeter 0 0%
Trail Tech Voyager; it has a speedometer and a trail GPS 2 7.69%
Other 3 11.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-17-2013, 05:36 PM   #1
IndyChizzle OP
Spending more on gas

Oddometer: 732
Which Trail Tech on Your Thumper for Around Town? 7.17.13

Hi,
I just bought a DR650 Supermoto and I'm looking to add a Trail Tech digital speedometer. I did some researching and narrowed my search down to Trail Tech and a few models that I thought would suit my needs. I'm pretty much just going to use the bike as fun around-town transportation, and maybe a big trip once in a while. I'm guessing I'll be on-road 98% of the time and dirt only about 2% of the time.
I'm trying to get the opinions of people who have installed these on their bikes (actual first hand experience) and I'm trying to avoid a big argument about theoreticals. If you've got some first hand experience, I'd love to hear it!
Thanks AdvRiders!
Chuck
IndyChizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:23 PM   #2
wvrocks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
I used a Vector on my KTM 640 Adv when the stock unit died. I found it for $14 brand new so that made my choice much easier! I probably would have gone with the Striker if I hadn't found the close out Vector. I didn't need the Tach that comes on the Vapor since mine still works. Wanted the water temp feature and didn't need the voltmeter. I think the Vapor has a bigger speed readout than the Vector which would have been nice. I don't think you can go wrong with any of their units.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:45 PM   #3
PatrickM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
Vapor here.

I wanted a tach/RPM meter as the basic speedo is good, but it just makes it a whole lot easier to see the revs versus having to guess/listen.

I could have gone with the one with the GPS, but GPS technology changes so much and there are so many options (Garmin, phone, magellan, or without) that it didn't seem necessary to marry myself to one brand for a do-it-all while I could get a better GPS and mount it across bikes, or even upgrade later.

The RPM is pretty good, 5-6 wire wraps around the spark plug wire and I have an easy to read measurement.
PatrickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:20 PM   #4
bill pierce
I don't wana pickle

Oddometer: 741
I used the Vapor on my xrr super moto. I've been real happy with it so far. I like that it came with a coolant temp. sensor and display.

Yamaha FZR 1000 (sold)
Honda Cr 500 sold
bill pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:31 PM   #5
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,483
I'm in the market too. I asked SeanPNW on his thread about his dash choice, below is his response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPNW View Post
I replaced the stock dash with a trail tech vapor 'stealth' and then installed the optional "Indicator Dashboard" to it which has LEDs for turn signals, high beam, neutral etc (you get to pick what gets wired to what when you put it on). All the 'stealth' seems to denote though over the standard vapor is that it's blacked out. The vapor (stealth) is a great investment for 100 +/- bones for any DS bike if you are trying to cut down on dash weight and go digital. Simple installation and it comes with a lot of nifty features: different trip mileage counters, time counters, engine temp, ambient temp, digital revs, speedometer that actually measures your correct speed (old one never matched my GPS), is backlit so nice feature at night, is programmable and reprogrammable etc. It also has engine temp and shift warning lights that are programmable to whatever you want.

One thing I would say though is that if you get one and install it READ the directions and take there advice when they recommend to hard-wire the power lead to the battery instead of tapping into your ignition for power. At first you may think to yourself "I'll just tap the ignition for a power source so as I turn the key the dash will come on and vice versa" rather than having the dash automatically power off after 15 minutes of it receiving no data (the bike not moving or running) which is what will happen if you hard wire it to your battery. If you tap the ignition rather than the battery as a power source when the bike is off the unit uses a small watch battery in the back of the unit to 'store' the trip/time/etc data so you can pick-up where you left off when you start the bike again. Eventually this battery will wear out and every time you turn the ignition off you will be reset to square one in terms of your trip data. All the programmable settings will still be there (rev limiter, warning settings, etc). You can replace the battery but it's a nuisance to carry around batteries and replace them even if it's not very often. If you just tap the battery instead of the ignition your problem is solved forever, the unit just powers off by itself after a little bit and the world is at peace.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:57 PM   #6
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,047
I too have the Vapor Stealth. It was easy to wire, speedo was easy to calibrate and the tach has quick response and works fine.
Many different optional screens and layout I just wish screen 1 (the one it defaults to at start up) had the water temp and the tach on it instead of the ambient temp. Just gotta go to screen 2 when you get on. It works great and well worth the money.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:55 AM   #7
IndyChizzle OP
Spending more on gas

I'd seen some reviews that suggested that the Vapor tachometer was less than reliable. Does it work for most people?
Old 07-18-2013, 07:16 AM   #8
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

SkiBumBrian, where did you get that plate for the dash? If you made it yourself, do you have a thread on the build?

In regard to dashes, although I will likely end up with a Vapor I have not yet discounted the Acewell dash but have not done any research on it.

Apologies to the OP for the slight hijack
Old 07-18-2013, 07:27 AM   #9
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
SkiBumBrian, where did you get that plate for the dash? If you made it yourself, do you have a thread on the build?

In regard to dashes, although I will likely end up with a Vapor I have not yet discounted the Acewell dash but have not done any research on it.

Apologies to the OP for the slight hijack
It was created with a 3D printer. Unfortunately the dims were lost in a data crash. I have been considering making a mold of it.....
Old 07-18-2013, 07:52 AM   #10
darkstarmoto
Am I evil? Yes I am

Oddometer: 350
The TT Endurance II is a good speedo. Super simple install and runs 12V with battery back-up (or can run on just battery but seems silly if you have 12V available).

Just make sure you get an E2 from after 10/2/12 there was a recall due to the odo loosing or resetting data. The one I had on my Husky worked pretty nicely other than loosing 3K miles off the total odo mileage.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:32 AM   #11
wvrocks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Whichever you decide on, there is a way to set your odometer to match your bike's current mileage. That's assuming you know what it is now anyway. Its not listed in the manual but can be found here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=21

"There is an undocumented feature to change the total mileage and total run time -
Defined sequence is entry of a secret factory factory code into the wheel size setting (9110); then user presses right button for 3 seconds to enter the first programming mode. To show that the computer is in the programming mode, the clock feature will flash. Then user can the press center button to get to the ODO and ART data, and enter the desired number. The computer will stay in this programming mode until the reset button on the back of the computer is pressed. Please note that user must the change wheel size setting back to primary WS for their machine.
I found that I did not need to use the reset button to exit this programming mode, it would exit automatically once I had cycled through all the available parameters. "
Old 07-18-2013, 05:57 PM   #12
IndyChizzle OP
Spending more on gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvrocks View Post
Whichever you decide on, there is a way to set your odometer to match your bike's current mileage. That's assuming you know what it is now anyway. Its not listed in the manual but can be found here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=21

"There is an undocumented feature to change the total mileage and total run time -
Defined sequence is entry of a secret factory factory code into the wheel size setting (9110); then user presses right button for 3 seconds to enter the first programming mode. To show that the computer is in the programming mode, the clock feature will flash. Then user can the press center button to get to the ODO and ART data, and enter the desired number. The computer will stay in this programming mode until the reset button on the back of the computer is pressed. Please note that user must the change wheel size setting back to primary WS for their machine.
I found that I did not need to use the reset button to exit this programming mode, it would exit automatically once I had cycled through all the available parameters. "
Awesome tip! Thanks!
Old 07-18-2013, 09:48 PM   #13
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
i had the endurance which was good but i dont think it had a full time backlight for night riding. i have the vapor now with the backlight which is great for night riding. the ambient temp seems to be about ten degrees off on two of the vapors i had though which is no big deal.
kubiak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:33 PM   #14
Akunin
Neo-Vegabond

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyChizzle View Post
I'd seen some reviews that suggested that the Vapor tachometer was less than reliable. Does it work for most people?
I just installed my second Vapor (1st was 4 years ago) and it's been reliable. I went straight to coil and the readings are great, I tried the wrap around the spark plug wire but its just too touchy that way for me, one wrap not enough and the rpms are too low, too much wrap and they are too high so the coil method has been the most reliable, at least to me
Akunin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:57 PM   #15
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Any particular reason you chose the model you did?

WeazyBuddha screwed with this post 07-20-2013 at 09:15 PM Reason: dumb portion removed
WeazyBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote