ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Which Trail Tech would you install on your Thumper for around town use?
Trail Tech Vapor; it has speedometer and a tachometer (Does the tach work?) 21 80.77%
Trail Tech Striker; it has a speedometer and a voltmeter 0 0%
Trail Tech Voyager; it has a speedometer and a trail GPS 2 7.69%
Other 3 11.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-19-2013, 08:59 AM   #16
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyChizzle View Post
I'd seen some reviews that suggested that the Vapor tachometer was less than reliable. Does it work for most people?
It's what I use and mine works perfectly.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:47 PM   #17
FreeGranite
Nubile dirtrider

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akunin View Post
I just installed my second Vapor (1st was 4 years ago) and it's been reliable. I went straight to coil and the readings are great, I tried the wrap around the spark plug wire but its just too touchy that way for me, one wrap not enough and the rpms are too low, too much wrap and they are too high so the coil method has been the most reliable, at least to me
This x 100. I installed one on my 640E. A tach is a real nice feature to have on a bike, at least imo. Tried it with the wrap around the ignition wire but it was too unreliable on the paint shaker. Hooked it to the coil and its been great since.

As has been mentioned before, there are a couple downfalls like the unit defaulting to screen 1, even though screen 2 has more pertinent information. Also, I find the ambient temp is always about 10 degrees too hot (probably due to the headers and radiators dumping heat to it.) I think they should offer a remote temp mount for the ambient. Overall though, I am quite happy with my Vapor Stealth.

P.S. I still find it fun to see how many MPH you can skip when you get on the gas.
FreeGranite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:01 PM   #18
IndyChizzle OP
Spending more on gas

Oddometer: 727
Awesome feedback guys! Since the tach feature evidently works, I'm gonna get a Vapor...
IndyChizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:12 PM   #19
Super Tracker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
I really like this Koso unit that I have

http://www.amazon.com/Koso-Multi-Fun...&keywords=koso

Old 07-20-2013, 08:06 PM   #20
IndyChizzle OP
Spending more on gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Tracker View Post
I really like the look of the Koso unit better, but I haven't heard of them or seen them on any other bikes. Have they been around a while, and are they OEM for any manufacturers? They look familiar (KTM?).
Old 08-11-2013, 09:08 AM   #21
IndyChizzle OP
Spending more on gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvrocks View Post
Whichever you decide on, there is a way to set your odometer to match your bike's current mileage. That's assuming you know what it is now anyway. Its not listed in the manual but can be found here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=21

"There is an undocumented feature to change the total mileage and total run time -
Defined sequence is entry of a secret factory factory code into the wheel size setting (9110); then user presses right button for 3 seconds to enter the first programming mode. To show that the computer is in the programming mode, the clock feature will flash. Then user can the press center button to get to the ODO and ART data, and enter the desired number. The computer will stay in this programming mode until the reset button on the back of the computer is pressed. Please note that user must the change wheel size setting back to primary WS for their machine.
I found that I did not need to use the reset button to exit this programming mode, it would exit automatically once I had cycled through all the available parameters. "
I used this tip, and it worked great! Thanks for the help! If I would have known how simple this was, I may have kept my KTM 690... I didn't have to hit the reset button, and my wheel size automatically jumped back to my original setting. Sweet!

IndyChizzle screwed with this post 08-11-2013 at 09:18 AM
Old 08-11-2013, 12:21 PM   #22
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,418
Acewell makes good stuff too. I've had one on my KLR for 6 years. better quality than the Vapor that I had on my DRZ, but that was a few years ago.

http://www.acewell-meter.com/
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote